Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need thin safeties for shadow

lawboy

Keep your thumb on top of the safety. Solves 'bumping' problem and.. makes your grip higher, that helps with recoil control.

Trying to learn to do that but when my thumb is on the safety it makes it difficult for me to get my weak hand in the proper grip. My strong hand thumb is high -- much higher than the safety. I actually have to lower my strong hand thumb to keep it on the safety and this interferes with my weak hand. It is weird but I think I can overcome it with practice.

Edited by lawboy

After shooting Glocks for years, I was having the same issues. Thin safeties will cure your problem. I don't know where you can find them, but just wanted you to know that this is the best solution.

The standard SP01 safeties are a big improvement too. I have these and the thin Shadow safeties, but am torn on which I prefer. The thin safeties are virtually non-existent but the SP01 safeties are high enough to be out of the way of your support hand and still provide a bit of a ledge for your strong hand thumb.

While I am torn between these two, one thing I am certain of is my hatred for the factory Shadow safeties. They are too low and sharp for my hands. When I tried running these, I ended up chewing up the meat of my support hand thumb and a getting a blister on my trigger finger first knuckle. With decent sized hands and a high hold, these just don't work IMO.

The standard SP01 safeties are a big improvement too. I have these and the thin Shadow safeties, but am torn on which I prefer. The thin safeties are virtually non-existent but the SP01 safeties are high enough to be out of the way of your support hand and still provide a bit of a ledge for your strong hand thumb.

While I am torn between these two, one thing I am certain of is my hatred for the factory Shadow safeties. They are too low and sharp for my hands. When I tried running these, I ended up chewing up the meat of my support hand thumb and a getting a blister on my trigger finger first knuckle. With decent sized hands and a high hold, these just don't work IMO.

+100. I cannot stand the regular Shadow safeties. IMHO it's almost like they were engineered to be the perfect profile to absolutely suck for guys who've spent lots of time with Glocks and/or 1911's; they're too low for one's strong-hand thumb, and they stick out too much, so the f'up one's support-hand.

I would like to try the thin-safeties at some point if they're ever back in-stock anywhere, but the difference the SP-01 or 75/85 safeties make is huge.

It's a shame CZ or CZ Custom doesn't offer the Shadows with the different safeties from the jump, as it seems there are so many of us changing the stock ones out...

After shooting Glocks for years, I was having the same issues. Thin safeties will cure your problem. I don't know where you can find them, but just wanted you to know that this is the best solution.

Yes, thin is in.... My SP01 shadow came with them but I bought it from Mink.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I received my parts order for Stuart. He was kind enough to put it together and wait until my buddy arrived for Area 2 to pay for it and pick it up. Thank you, Stuart, for your consideration!

Anyway, first thing I did was fit the SP01 ambi safety to the Shadow and remove those hideous and intefering big safety paddles.

OMG, the difference is HUGE and ALL GOOD! No problems activating the safety with a normal grip and no problem with getting a good hold on the gun.Also, I fit the new unit much tighter.

The only thing I had to do was file the keyed part of the left safety shaft so that the right paddle would fit correctly. Did have to alter the tab that blocks sear movement as it was perfect out of the box.

I think I am now good to go with this gun for 2013.

P.S. also got a set of rubber grips and like them more than the thin ALs or the VZs. For $27 you cannot beat that!

Edited by lawboy

I run the tumbler safeties in my guns. Just preference. I should have one set of the thin sets at the shop. Can let you know Friday if I do.

What is the benefit of the tumbler safeties?

Would I need a different sear cage to switch from D style to tumbler?

Ejector / sear housings are different for D style and tumbler. Need to make sure you have correct one and correct safety detents.

Right but you made it sound like the tumbler was a better one for some reason? To me they look the same :-)

Tumbler RHS fits into the frame and housing. While it probably makes no difference, I feel it supports the housing better.

Ahhh. That makes sense and you might be right. Since I just put in a new set of safeties this week, I am going to run with the D style for now and see how they hold up. Since we really do not use the safeties in Production, I am not anticipating any problems.