Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 super to .38 super comp

Tristan

Okay, so I have heard alot about converting a .38 super gun to .38 super comp, but I dont know if it is possible to just leave the extractor be, and just use it as is, or do you have to bend the extractor, or get a new one. Does anyone have previous experience using .38 super comp in a gun chambered for .38 super?

The guns I had before would shoot either one without any change, but ideally you would want to replace the extractor, just to be sure. On SVI guns they also recommend changing the breech face, but I found that unnecessary either.

My first open gun was a .38 super, and it had issues with the rims catching on each other, in the magazines. My local gunsmith replaced the extractor, and I didn't have any more problems with the gun.

As has been said, you MAY be able to run with the extractor you have. If you don't know how to check/tune an extractor, I'm pretty sure there is a video on Brazos website.

My first open gun was a .38 super, and it had issues with the rims catching on each other, in the magazines. My local gunsmith replaced the extractor, and I didn't have any more problems with the gun.

Actually, it's the 38 Super's semi-rim projecting so far into the underlying round's extractor groove that produces the greatly enhanced drag.

Follow their advise of trying it first without changing the extractor. I ordered an extractor for 38SC before testing my gun if it's going to function properly with 38SC brass. Well, It did and without altering the gun and mag. I'll just charge it to experience and its also comforting to know i have spare brand new 38SC extractor.

Whlie there is nothing wrong with supercomp, why not stay with super? A gun that is properly set up will run 100% with super. My mags hold 28 reloadable and my "super big" svi mag holds 29 without too much stress on the frame. I have 4 open guns and all run super. I have been down the road of endless experimentation and spent lots of money on solutions looking for a problem. You also are not limited to one major source of brass. Again, if you start with supercomp that's fine, but change over is debateable.

I ran Super then switched to Super Comp, on advice of Travis Tomasie, during a class. He mentioned extra drag on the cases caused by the rim on the Super, etc. Since I wanted to shoot like Travis, I switched one of my guns. Well, nobody I shoot with uses Super Comp and I got lots of complaints from people finding my brass mixed with the Super brass being picked up at the indoor range. Since I never had a reliability issue to start with, I switched back! Now there is peace among open shooters at the range, except for the Neanderthal who shoots 9x23! Really, if your gun shoots 100% with Super brass, why change?

Is there a magazine capacity difference using 38 SuperComp versus 38 Super, specifically the SVI 170mm big sticks? The smaller rim would seem to put it in line with 9mmMajor capacities. My SVI big stick holds 29 and runs.