Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SBR/Three gun

Recon'sHide

Well after 6 months of waiting from the batfe finally have my stamp and SBR-10.5 inch by John N. Anybody shooting SBR in three gun as long as the cof isin't greater than 100yds on the rifle course?

Looking for a comp for those followup shots...no doubt double ears for running and gunning.

What about a can for helping out the RO's????:devil:

What makes you think a 100 yards is the limit? It wouldn't be my choice, but I have a buddy who has an sbr set up with a longish float tube, a titan comp, and an elcan specter dr . He does ok out to 300 yards or so. Not optimal but if you know your holds you can make it work.

My SBR with the can on it is so quiet you can shoot it with no ear plugs. All you hear is the bolt cycling. The timer may not pickup your shots depending on which can you purchase.

Edited by Jaxshooter

What makes you think a 100 yards is the limit? It wouldn't be my choice, but I have a buddy who has an sbr set up with a longish float tube, a titan comp, and an elcan specter dr . He does ok out to 300 yards or so. Not optimal but if you know your holds you can make it work.

I also know the man that Caspian Guy is talking about. He can hit MGM flashers out to 300 with no problems. He has practiced with it enough to know where it shoots. It is obnoxiously loud though.

Hurley

I also know the man that Caspian Guy is talking about. He can hit MGM flashers out to 300 with no problems. He has practiced with it enough to know where it shoots. It is obnoxiously loud though.

Hurley

Well there is that...

If you're talking about ringin out a unorthodox gun in a local match for fun, a surpressed SBR sounds cool as hell. Is it the best rifle for competition?, probably not. I know top 3 gunners that shoot some different stuff at local matches just to knock the cobwebs out of stuff they find entertaining to shoot. Plus, it makes short COFs a bit more of a challenge.

I shoot a carbine/pistol match here every month and I don't have much of a problem hitting the 300 yard targets with my 10.3" MK18 upper with an Aimpoint PRO. Using an SBR definitely makes the close range stuff real easy too :)

I shoot my Noveske Mk18 factory SBR (EOTech and A2 flash hider) at NRA TPC matches and some local carbine matches. Longest shots here are ~80 yards, and it very handy in the tight/technical stuff. I have no clue where that gun hits past 100 yards...

-Randy

My friend competes almost exclusively with his MK18 SBR (Noveske lower/LMT upper) and kicks plenty of butt with it. He's untouchable on anything that has a lot of movement and it's still very effective on the longer shots. He's running an Aimpoint so having no magnification is more the limitation than the 10.5 barrel (i.e. lower muzzle velocity).

I used my 7.5" AR pistol with iron sights at our last 3 gun match. Our longest shot was 25 yards that day, but I would still use it for 200 yard shots. That's the farthest I've shot it so far, and I know where it hits. I placed 4th out of 49 overall, and 2nd in tac-irons.

I use a DPMS Levang brake, and I don't think it's any louder than some of the muzzle brakes on longer barrels that are typically used.

Don't worry about what other people are shooting, and just have fun.

I keep wanting to break out my SBR, and have used it with a 22 kit for local rimfire matches. I got yelled at because with the can on it, ROs had to basically hump my ejection port to get the shots to pick up :cheers:

I am building another 11" 223 upper for local matches. I think it would be fun to practice with the HD carbine and save the race gun for the races. But on the other hand, running my race gun all the time gives me the most time and practice with it, so it's a wash. An SBR with a brake on it is funny loud though

While not an SBR, I have a rifle with a 14.5" barrel and battlecomp 1.5 pined to it, midlength gas system and FA BCG. We had a local match with no shots over 50 yards and I thought about running it, but comparing it to my race gun with 18" barrel, rifle length gas, full comp, low mass recoil system... I was surprised how much softer the race gun shot. I decided not to shoot the 14.5 since I wanted to do well and take every edge I could get. Still I want to shoot the 14.5 in a match sometime because otherwise it just sits in the safe.

I know top 3 gunners that shoot some different stuff at local matches just to knock the cobwebs out of stuff they find entertaining to shoot. Plus, it makes short COFs a bit more of a challenge.

I like that idea. SBR now on my wishlist :lol:

My stamp won't be back until next year, but I'll be running an 11.5" rifle next year at times. It's just for the fun factor ..... I can't see it being an advantage at all. I used my 300 Blackout yesterday at a match for the same fun factor reason. 168gr matchkings hitting steel was cool!!