Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max Tac ftf after welded carrier added.

lksyotas

So after 800 flawless rounds down range with all types of ammo my Versa Max had several failure to feeds today during a match. It was the first time out with a welded carrier installed that replaced the factory one. It appeared that the shell being loaded was getting caught on the extractor cutout in the chamber. I think I've read about this mod decreasing the reliability due to the loss of centering the shell during feeding but want to be sure there isn't another culprit. I was thinking of grinding a slight radius on the top of the carrier to help guide the shell into the center of the chamber but wanted to see what you all think I should do before I move forward with it. Other than the failures, the welded carrier really improves the reloads on the gun - no bleeding thumb or cut nail anymore!

I was thinking of grinding a slight radius on the top of the carrier to help guide the shell into the center of the chamber but wanted to see what you all think.

Yes this is what you need to do. I know this is what we have done to remedy the same problem.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Radius the extractor cut on the barrel and remove the inner shell release spring. That should cure your problems. I do that on all the guns that leave our shop now.

Take out the smaller spring on the shell release.

AND put a good radis on the ext. cut.

Sounds like somebody has been swapping ideas...do you guys know each other? ;)

Does removing the inner spring affect reliability? If not, why is it in there in the first place? To stop 3.5" shells tripping the release under recoil?

I assume removing the inner spring also makes loading easier?

Mick

Take out the smaller spring on the shell release.

Edited by MickB

I've done tons of work on the SLP platform and my Nova is well messaged. I'm new the Versamax platform though. When you guys say the small sping on the shell release, are you referring to part number 28, called "Feed Latch Spring B" in the Remington manual?

post-37210-0-16582700-1349976421_thumb.p

I've done tons of work on the SLP platform and my Nova is well messaged. I'm new the Versamax platform though. When you guys say the small sping on the shell release, are you referring to part number 28, called "Feed Latch Spring B" in the Remington manual?

post-37210-0-16582700-1349976421_thumb.p

That's probably the only double spring in the gun, Mike.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your comments and fixes. I haven't had a chance to modify the gun since I posted last. Its on the to do list, been busy working on my adjustable gas system and playing with weights in my AR carrier to further change the recoil impulse from the rifle.

I plan on getting back on the Versa Max next week and radius the extractor recess and take the second spring out from behind the shell catch. I've already made the cross section thinner between the radius cuts in the catch to aid in loading so reducing the overall spring force behind it will probably make the shells insert even smoother. I'll report back if the fixes took care of the problem.

Regards to all,

• 1 month later...

Any update on this? How's it working out?

I "slightly" radius'd the extractor recess in the barrel extension and it seems to have fixed the issue. I've only put 250 shells (cheap Federal Bulk) through it since the mod but it has run 100%. All 250 shells were put to practicing the "Load 12" drill from Keith. I've been practicing the quad load for this drill and I've gotten my overall drill time down to 15-17 seconds when I don't bobble the shells. I got brave one afternoon and put the files and dremel to work on my loading port. I am removing material in baby steps as this is my first time doing this type of modification to a shotgun. I don't want to scrap out the receiver that's for sure. Beveling and tweaking the loading port in addition to the welded carrier certainly helps with either the traditional weak hand or quad load styles.

I won't be shooting much for the next month or so as its finally getting cold here in NY and my wife just gave birth to our third child so I'll be playing "mr. mom" for a bit...

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

• 1 year later...

My versamax jammed on me in the classifier yesterday and I think the shell got stuck on the extractor cut out in the barrel . I filled down some before but maybe I didn't do enough . Anybody have pics on it ? I'm going to do a radius cut on the shell lifter also to help with feeding.

• 2 months later...

I was looking at a friend's That went to a gun Smith and it looked like a lot was taken. That's why I was curious to see how much should be taken

I'd like to know aswell.

I put the first 200 rounds thru my Versa Max Synth. A local gunsmith opened the loading port for me and massaged the trigger and safety and installed a rear sight.

He did not take any material off the extraxtor cut out.

I had several FTF due to the mouth of the shell impaling itself on the sharp edge of the extractor cut out.

I have a match at Low Country Preserve this Saturday so I'm going to break that sharp edge myself . I just dont want to take off too much.

So, how much is too much?

Edited by Willz