Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching Barrels During a Match

poortrader

I'm currently shooting a Winchester SX3. It came with a 28" barrel and I just bought a 24" barrel. The 24" barrel is more accurate for slugs, and I shoot better with 28" barrel for regular stuff.

Could I change barrels during a match depending on the types of targets in a COF?

Generaly, no. If the two barrels were the same length, it would be up to the Match director to approve it. You would not likely find a match director that would approve of switching barrels between stages "just because". If you broke the sight off of one barrel during the match, they will likely allow you to use another barrel of the same length, or use another gun of the same configuration.

Hurley

What if I were at at multi-day even? Would that make a difference. One day, I shoot the longer barrel, and the second day, I choose to use the shorter one. I would not change intra-day. This would be similar to using a back up gun. I would still be shooting the same Tac-ops.

Edited by poortrader

It is still during the match. If you were in the middle of the pack no one may notice, but say if you were maybe second or two ahead of two other shooters in your squad or someone getting wind of you changing configuration for an advantage. You would probably hear from the match director with appropriate points added to your score or even a DQ.

Here's a selection from a standard set of IMA rules used at most 3-Gun matches:

Participants generally may not reconfigure any firearm during the course of the event. Explicitly prohibited acts include changing caliber, barrel length, shotgun magazine tube length, sighting systems and/or stock style. Explicitly permitted acts include installing or removing support devices (e.g. bipods), slings and other minor accessories (e.g. scope covers).

If a participant's firearm becomes unserviceable, that participant may repair their firearm with directly equivalent replacement parts. If

replacement parts result in a significant change to the firearm configuration, then the repair must be approved by the Match Director.

Edited by jtielke

You shoot the 28" better for "regular stuff", but how about reloading on the clock? Do you use weakhand or load 2? My SX2 came with a 28", and while I loved the stability and swing that the 28" provided I had a hard time weakhand loading it on my shoulder. The 24" wasn't much lighter, but light enough that I can load 4 on my shoulder without feeling like my wrist is going to fall off. I will be selling the 28" even though there are things I miss about it. If I used load 2 I would probably keep the longer barrel and sell the shorter one.

That was a big thing for me because in general shotgun stages are won or lost loading (assuming you can get your hits reasonably quick). For me the barrel length makes a bigger difference loading than shooting. Just something to consider.