Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What I would like to see from Glock

Nemo

I have two 17's, a 30 and a 36. The 30 is now for sale. Sweet to shoot but it doesn't see much holster time. I like the "flaca" 36 better for carry.

Now (listen up Vinny, you may be the one that can convince Gaston), wouldn't it be nice if Glock would carry the slim-line a step further and come out with a full size, slim 45acp (single stack) with a 5" barrell? This gun would be an excellent LE duty or home/play pistol and the 36 could play backup to it and use the longer mags.

Just dreaming on the keyboard after a long day of mega-boring regulatory training. But you never know... it could happen.

Went there once, tried to register and guess they didn't want me there because I couldn't. Besides, for me, the forum vibes were not the right ones. However, it's good to see that the idea is going around. Maybe Glock will listen.

What you describe is what everyone wanted the G37 to be. Instead we got the 45 GAP <_<

I also want a single-stack Glock chambered in .45 ACP with a flush magazine like the G17/G22 (no big goofy end plate like the G30/G36). Basically a G35 sized version of the G36. I wouldn't think this would be too hard and I would think it would sell a lot better in the US than the G37 will.

I think it would also be neat if the pistol came with both an arched and flat backstrap like the P99. Another cool feature would be a molded on magazine well like the S_I plastic grips.

It's nice to dream sometimes.

Now (listen up Vinny, you may be the one that can convince Gaston), wouldn't it be nice if Glock would carry the slim-line a step further and come out with a full size, slim 45acp (single stack) with a 5" barrell?

Me? Convince Gaston?? I wish .......... I'm still waiting for the Glock 9mm Carbine which I was told, in 1997, would be released "soon".

The H&K MP5 virutually owns the 9mm carbine arena, and now there's the slick new Beretta, but I still think a Glock 9mm carbine would rock the world, especially if a fair portion of the internal parts were interchangeable with G17s.

Crap, I'd settle for a G19 variant with a flat backstrap and a 1911 grip angle.

Flex will severely spank ya for saying that...heresy... :P

And so will the droves of gunsmiths making their fortune on un-Glocking the Glock.

And so will the droves of gunsmiths making their fortune on un-Glocking the Glock.

Wouldn't a single stack Glock with this type of reduced back strap acheive the smaller grip that they invented the 45 g.a.p. to create? It would be the death of their new cartridge if they came out with a gun like that.

Oh, and I would love to see both happen!

-ld

A Glock 17 with a reduced grip and flat backstrap from the factory would be cool. Then people with short fingers and/or small hands could have the option of shooting a Glock in either IDPA SSP or USPSA/IPSC Production.

Beretta has done something very similar with their Vertek version of the 92, and I think it's the best pistol they make.

You just want to sell another variety of the best grip enhancement on the market......

.....and I really hope it helps you retire at 50.....

[blushing Icon]

What's funny about goliaths like Glock is that they're so slow to innovate after their one, big innovation, that it makes room for the little guy. A little engineering effort on their part and I'm out of business.

I think that will happen about a decade after the Glock carbine hits the market...

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't a single stack Glock with this type of reduced back strap acheive the smaller grip that they invented the 45 g.a.p. to create? It would be the death of their new cartridge if they came out with a gun like that.

-ld

The goal of the GAP isn't just to create a smaller grip. It allows the gun manufacturer to basically use the same frame they use on their 9 mm and .40 S&W guns.

The GAP is the same length as the 9 mm and .40, so they can even use the same mag boddies, they just need to tweak the feed lips out a little.

This allows gun manufacturers to make a compact .45 based on their existing designs, where they have to redesign the receiver completely to make a single stack gun.

There's a limit to what price the market will bear for guns. The GAP allows manufacturers to make more money by reducing their design and production costs.

-ld

The goal of the GAP isn't just to create a smaller grip. It allows the gun manufacturer to basically use the same frame they use on their 9 mm and .40 S&W guns.

The GAP is the same length as the 9 mm and .40, so they can even use the same mag boddies, they just need to tweak the feed lips out a little.

This allows gun manufacturers to make a compact .45 based on their existing designs, where they have to redesign the receiver completely to make a single stack gun.

There's a limit to what price the market will bear for guns. The GAP allows manufacturers to make more money by reducing their design and production costs.

If Glock didn't already have several different models for the .45 acp and the 10mm I could buy that but they do have those models so it doesn't fly. They could make a slimmed down singlestack based off of any of the larger guns just as easily as they could have with the smaller framed guns but the grip would be long and flat which most people probably wouldn't like. Why not spend the R&D money on making the grip smaller instead of on making the .45 shorter?

-ld

How about a Glock take-off on the old Colt 1911/ .22 (Ace maybe?) that was designed to make the .22 recoil more like a larger caliber?

Here is the idea: a Glock 17 sized/weight .22 that recoils just like a 9mm G17? Perfect practice gun it would seem to me. Add in a 20 round magazine & it might be a lot of fun.

i would like to see a 35 or 24 come from the factory with a regular cut rifled barrel and a chamber cut on the small side of SAAMI specs.

i could even live with polygonal barrel IF the chamber was fully supported and/or the correct size. nobody really wants to shoot lead anyways....