Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester sx2

ss+P

So i need a shotgun for 3 gun. i am just getting into three gun and it is the only gun that i don't have. I like the versa max tacticool, but i can't find one in md.

i have found a winchester sx2 in camo pattern. i could care less about the color. it is reasonably priced, but i believe it is a turkey or duck gun and i am not sure if it will cycle with low brass. not sure if a new versa max will either.

So what are the fixes if you have a gun that doesn't cycle low brass.

On the SX2 you just drop in the light piston it should have come with. If you don't have the piston, you can purchase one on Brownells. My SLP is actually an SX2 Practical (same gun). It has been extremely reliable with shells down to 2.75 drams. I also just got a Versamax which cycles (just barely) 2.5 drams loads without modification.

Thanks for the replies guys. the sx2 is used at a pawn shop so i am not sure if it has the extra piston, but at least if i go that route i know i can buy the part that should fix the potential problem.

how much should a used sx2 run i believe it was listed at around 650. i thought it was a little high.

Depends, if it's a duck gun it probably has a 28" or so barrel. Most guys run 22-24" barrels. So factor in cutting down the barrel, threading for chokes, an extended mag tube, charging handle and bolt release button and the versamax turns into a pretty good deal. Also consider the jm pro 930. It's in your ballpark price wise. I know they are hard to find right now but I think it would be worth the wait. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Depends, if it's a duck gun it probably has a 28" or so barrel. Most guys run 22-24" barrels. So factor in cutting down the barrel, threading for chokes, an extended mag tube, charging handle and bolt release button and the versamax turns into a pretty good deal. Also consider the jm pro 930. It's in your ballpark price wise. I know they are hard to find right now but I think it would be worth the wait. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Cutting down and re-threading may not be a viable option due to the bore diameter and barrel wall thickness on the 26-28" barrels.

Send the piston to SRM Surecycle and have it sealed. Cheap fix and reliable, will then shoot most anything. If you want to cut down the barrel check with Briley. I thought about having my 26" or 28" barrel from my SX3 cut down and talked to them about it. They will supply you with new chokes if the wall thickness gets too thin to use the standard chokes. Decided against it and got used to the longer 26" barrel. I have their extended mag tube so I can get 10 shells plus 1. Acutally like the longer barrel better.

http://surecycle.com/store/pc/home.asp

gerritm

I got an SX2 turkey model, so it has a 3.5 inch chamber and like the 24" barrel. So far it eats everything low brass except the walmart federal, but that won't even feed in my 870. With the huge loading gate opened up just a bit, it's super easy to load on the clock.

So i need a shotgun for 3 gun. i am just getting into three gun and it is the only gun that i don't have. I like the versa max tacticool, but i can't find one in md.

i have found a winchester sx2 in camo pattern. i could care less about the color. it is reasonably priced, but i believe it is a turkey or duck gun and i am not sure if it will cycle with low brass. not sure if a new versa max will either.

So what are the fixes if you have a gun that doesn't cycle low brass.

The fix is don't buy a gun that won't cycle low brass. I have been running a VMT since April and it has been 100% flawless with all ammo so far. It even cycles the terrible Pink Federal low brass that just killed my 1100. I'm not sure why a dealer in MD can't get you one but if you call us (Sharpshooters Small Arms Range in Lorton, VA) we can order one and have it in in a few days. You can PM me for more info on getting you one if you'd like.

Tim

Thanks for the replies. TBacus i am starting to think your way in just getting the VMT. I can have them shipped to MD from other places and i am sure that i can have one ordered from a local shop, but most of there prices are way over what i can find on the internet.

Just a note if you haven't already picked up the VMT. On the SX2 that price seems a bit high- mine was 500 on gunbroker. If it is a 3" gun low brass should run fine, and a lot of guys are able to run the 3.5" as well.

FWIW my SX2 ran every kind of shell I put through it, until I switched to a 24" SLP barrel. At that point I had about 5 short strokes per 100 with the 2.75 dram 1 ounce loads. Still runs the cheapest ammo available locally (1 oz remington game load) 100%.

Send the piston to SRM Surecycle and have it sealed. Cheap fix and reliable, will then shoot most anything. If you want to cut down the barrel check with Briley. I thought about having my 26" or 28" barrel from my SX3 cut down and talked to them about it. They will supply you with new chokes if the wall thickness gets too thin to use the standard chokes. Decided against it and got used to the longer 26" barrel. I have their extended mag tube so I can get 10 shells plus 1. Acutally like the longer barrel better.

gerritm

What will having the piston sealed do?

gerritm

It will remove the spring breakage issue with these pistons. Most of the springs inside the piston tend to break at some point, usually like when mine did it was in the middle of a match stage. I had an extra piston with me so I could continue, but blew the stage. Went to single fire.

One of the benefits to the sealing, is you can shoot most any load out of it instead of having to change the piston from light to heavy. In my SX3 I shoot everything from the cheapie Wally World Winchester and Federal loads and the very light Remington Gun Club shells to high brass slugs, buck, and heavy hunting loads.

When you look inside the piston you don't see the spring anymore just a metal covering. Hard to explain, but it works. Zero failures in many many rounds.

Cheap too, if I remember around $50 with shipping. Also turnaround is fast, within 2 weeks including shipping. If you have 2 piston, I don't think it matters which one you send. Just one more way to make a great gun more reliable. Good investment.

gerritm

UPDATE: well i bit the bullet and went with the rem versa max. i didn't buy the tactical i bought a 26" barrel. i am planning on running and 10 round (total) extension so it was going to stick out passed the barrel about 5" anyway. and i got a really good deal on it.

why do so many guys run an extension passed the barrel and not go with the extra barrel length.

i am guessing. its what they had and they upgraded there tube later. or more veritile.

i shot the pro am in the dam car with and 10 round extension. tuff but a 22" wouldn't have been much better.

gerritm

It will remove the spring breakage issue with these pistons. Most of the springs inside the piston tend to break at some point, usually like when mine did it was in the middle of a match stage. I had an extra piston with me so I could continue, but blew the stage. Went to single fire.

One of the benefits to the sealing, is you can shoot most any load out of it instead of having to change the piston from light to heavy. In my SX3 I shoot everything from the cheapie Wally World Winchester and Federal loads and the very light Remington Gun Club shells to high brass slugs, buck, and heavy hunting loads.

When you look inside the piston you don't see the spring anymore just a metal covering. Hard to explain, but it works. Zero failures in many many rounds.

Cheap too, if I remember around $50 with shipping. Also turnaround is fast, within 2 weeks including shipping. If you have 2 piston, I don't think it matters which one you send. Just one more way to make a great gun more reliable. Good investment.

gerritm

Does it increase the wear on the shotgun when using high brass heavy loads compared to using the regular heavy piston?

Not that I have seen. I have alot of rounds thru my SX3, most are low brass 7.5 & 8 shells from a variety of manufacturers. Only shoot the heavier loads, Remington #6 heavy shot pheasant, at certain times and stages. Probably shoot 100 light loads to 1 heavy load. Usually shoot heavy loads at the Texas Star, heavy plates, and MGM spinners. Even the buck and slugs that I shoot are reduced recoil. I have seen no wear issues or problems with the sealed piston. Time will tell, but it is the way to go. Your piston spring will break eventually.

gerritm