Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do not buy Remington Versa Max Tactical.....

Solidgun

If you can see one in the store, buy it. Or if you bought it from a great online dealer like I did, don't hesitate as they took care of my issue FAST.

This was not used and this came straight from the distributor.

However, if you need to get one shipped, then avoid buying one. I got mine today and this is how the box was arranged minus the shotgun:

DSC01939.jpg

I was hoping to get this tested, lifter modified, etc. before the next match, but now I have to wait to get it resolved. Mine is all scratched up and there is a chunk missing on the receiver.

I have bought a lot of guns and this is the first time I was disappointed buying a new gun. Remington managed to rob me of that new gun satisfaction. I don't care if I cause the wear and tear over time, but getting it this way and telling me that it is new is not what I want to have.

- They don't wrap the metal pieces they send (wrench, "tactical choke" with those sharp points, tiny screws which could easily have been lodged in the action and I had one roll out of the barrel)

- The cardboard holders didn't hold up. The shotgun and everything in the box was loose. My FFL was wondering why it was rattling.

I have/had several Benellis, Winchesters, Brownings and all these shotguns came with a box fitted to hold the contents. Even cheap shotguns come with boxes that will not destroy the firearm.

Contacted Remington to see if they will address the issue. Will update as this progresses..... What a waste of time and energy. It would cost a snack size freezer bag to avoid this.

UPDATE:

48 hours later, I have not received a response on my open ticket with Remington. I guess big companies make you wait. I have contacted several quality manufacturers before and they responded within 24 hours.....

Edited by Solidgun

If you can see one in the store, buy it.

This was not used and this came straight from the distributor.

However, if you need to get one shipped, then avoid buying one. I got mine today and this is how the box was arranged minus the shotgun:

DSC01939.jpg

I was hoping to get this tested, lifter modified, etc. before the next match, but now I have to wait to get it resolved. Mine is all scratched up and there is a chunk missing on the receiver.

I have bought a lot of guns and this is the first time I was disappointed buying a new gun. Remington managed to rob me of that new gun satisfaction. I don't care if I cause the wear and tear over time, but getting it this way and telling me that it is new is not what I want to have.

- They don't wrap the metal pieces they send (wrench, "tactical choke" with those sharp points, tiny screws which could easily have been lodged in the action and I had one roll out of the barrel)

- The cardboard holders didn't hold up. The shotgun and everything in the box was loose. My FFL was wondering why it was rattling.

I have/had several Benellis, Winchesters, Brownings and all these shotguns came with a box fitted to hold the contents. Even cheap shotguns come with boxes that will not destroy the firearm.

Contacted Remington to see if they will address the issue. Will update as this progresses..... What a waste of time and energy. It would cost a snack size freezer bag to avoid this.

Seems to be a lot of protecting material missing. I received a 870 compact today came with a one piece solid foam filler, best I've seen lately Edited by kellymc

At my work I see a fair amount of remington products pass through. Haven't ever seen one packaged this bad.

I'm thinking it was just your bad luck on this one.

Don't let this post keep anyone from buying a remy anything.

I have other Remington products, but in this case, the issue is known to others that this really is piss poor packaging causing this issue. The firearm is fine. I have shot someone else's and it feels great. I am not out to get Remington products. I own them and I will continue to buy them. All I want to see is for them to make the corrections so this doesn't have to happen in their future products.

My tactical had loose crap rolling around too. I thought it was weird at the time, but there wasn't any damage. It looked like someone literally threw the stuff in and closed the lid. But I still love the gun. Hate the box, not the gun!

I really do like this shotgun. It isn't a big upgrade for me, but I liked the one that I shot so much that I ordered it the next day. I was told from others that the cardboard flap loose in the picture was holding those metal parts. When they are contained, the top flap and bottom of the box works to hold them in. But when they don't glue it right, the tactical choke plays hell on the package included. But then, the shotgun was loose in the box too as the cardboard at the end holding it shifted.

Just horribly packaged box.

I got my Versa Tactical by way of a settlement with Remington, after 3 trips back with my 1100 tactical i was given full credit towards the Versa Tactical. The packaging did rattle, while the small parts were loose the gun was secured. I love the Versa max Tactical it has been absolutely flawless, and while their techs were not able to get the 1100 to work reliably, I am totally satisfied with the resolution of the issue. I don't think people should give up on the Versa Max because of some idiots in the shipping dept. Why not give Rem cust serv a chance to respond?

The key problem here seems to be the cardboard cap that should be on the end of the box, securing the barrel and mag tube, holding the gun in place. With that not in place, the gun will move around and the accessories will roll all over the place.

Either it was packed that way from the factory, or the distributor opened it up for some reason and put it back like that.

Regardless, it should not be packed that way.

Mick

Wow! I just picked up my 26" Versa. It came in a very nice injection molded plastic case with cavities and hard mountimg points for everything. I was actually kind of impressed with how well packaged mine came.

exactly, could not be happier with mine.

My tactical was packaged with the accessories rolling about as well. Fortunately, mine did not get scratched up.

I did not see it pulled out of the box. My FFL took it out of the box and put it on the rack in his shop with my name on a tag. Perhaps mine was in plastic or some such. I don't know.

Edited by Ted Murphy

The guns don't come in a plastic bag. That would help, as well as securing the accessories better. It's the tactical meat plug puller choke that does the damage if rolling around inside the box.

Mick

My tactical was packaged with the accessories rolling about as well. Fortunately, mine did not get scratched up.

I did not see it pulled out of the box. My FFL took it out of the box and put it on the rack in his shop with my name on a tag. Perhaps mine was in plastic or some such. I don't know.

I would prefer if they got rid of that tactical choke and replaced it with a LM extended choke tube...

Mick

I wouldn't have minded saving a few bucks on that gun and doing away with the tacticool choke tube.

Ted

I would prefer if they got rid of that tactical choke and replaced it with a LM extended choke tube...

Mick

+1 to that! I guess they decided that since it was the tactical model they needed to include their 'tactical' choke.

Remington need to perhaps make a 3-gun specific model, perhaps? Would only require minor changes...

Mick

Mick

+1 to that! I guess they decided that since it was the tactical model they needed to include their 'tactical' choke.

As for the OP's concerns, we have received several VMTs through normal distributor channels and have had no issue with how they were packed. It makes me wonder if the items were opened by the dealer you bought it from.

Yes they are indeed factory Remington Pro Bore chokes. Got my Improved Cylinder (IC) and Light Modified (LM)chokes from CDNN.

Mick

CDNN has Remington extended chokes for $9.99 in all the normal constrictions.

Make sure they are Remington Pro Bore chokes, not Rem Chokes.