Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shameless Posters

Nolan

NO! That ruins the whole thing!

In the Navy, pilots and co-pilots would get their names after a couple weeks in their first squadron.  The seasoned pilots would name the new guys, kinda like what Brian has been doing.  If we name ourselves, that's no fun!!

It's obviously a big job naming members, Brian can't do it all.  We should wait till after 250 posts, then the moderators (seasoned pilots) as a collective should name the members.  But be nice......

"Be nice"?  You obviously haven't looked into the derivation of some of the nicknames pilots get.  One screwup in flight school, or at your first flight assignment, and you could be tagged "Vomit Rocket" for the rest of your career.

Proper names would require spies reporting back from matches.  Then we could get names like "Spleenboy" "Barricade Thrasher" and "Popper jock shooter."

(thread drift) I had a friend who during his stint in the Navy, after a particularly nasty groin injury, aquired several new nick-names.  Among them were "AssBandit" and "NewHole".  Needless to say he was not appreciative of these monikers. (/thread drift)

-jhgtyre

TDean is right, it should be done by peers or BE. But peers can be harsh. I start singing Monty Python's "I'm a lumberjack" whenever ShooterGrrl or somebody starts blasting wood from a port.

P.S. I once killed a dog with my motorcycle on Highway 1. I was called "Dogboy" for years. (No, don't change Man of Knowledge to that.)

I've actually given this "Man of Knowledge" label some thought.  Whatever number of posts are necessary to acquire the man of knowledge "title" potentially could  all be questions, which would somewhat contradict the man of knowledge title.  But from another perspective, even if all the posts were questions, if the poster had any retention capability at all, said poster could hopefully still retain and pass on enough of that acquired information to others to actually be a man of knowledge.  I guess it's a wash. ;-}