Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Alumium Grip

Sharkys11

There are a number of threads detailing cracking issues with the old STI aluminum grips. According to a sales rep at STI, the new grips have not been redesigned (somewhat disheartening) but the tolerances were loosened up to make it closer to a drop-in part. The new grips are also now anodized from the factory.

It seems possible that the old grips may have been too tight a fit such that it would stress the grip if it were not fitted properly leading to the cracking problem. If the tolerances were loosened it may eliminate the stress of an unfitted drop-in grip and reduce the cracking problem. I wish the anodization was optional... I kind of liked the silver grip.

Really? Really? With all the reports of cracking they didn't add any material? Really? Their solution was to make it looser? Really?

In case you can't tell, it kind of boggles my mind, lets hope it works for them.

Edited by Whoops!

Really? Really? With all the reports of cracking they didn't add any material? Really? Their solution was to make it looser? Really?

In case you can't tell, it kind of boggles my mind, lets hope it works for them.

I was quite surprised by the response as well. The claim was that the *ONLY* issue with the old grips was that people were just "hammering them on" and it caused them to crack. The problem is that many reputable gunsmiths have fit these grips and some of them still cracked. I hope that the gentleman I spoke with was just misinformed about the new grips and that other updates have occurred. In either case, STI is a phenomenal company and stands behind their products (but it would be nice to avoid problems in the first place). I am eager to see the feedback on the new grips once they are in greater circulation.

So it would just be better to go with an Svi grip.

SVI recommends against using the aluminum grips unless it is a seldom fired gun (see their FAQ). I haven't seen any negative reports about their steel grips.

the only gripe is the price. OUCH!!!!!!

SVI recommends against using the aluminum grips unless it is a seldom fired gun (see their FAQ). I haven't seen any negative reports about their steel grips.

... and they are a boat anchor.

I have been waiting over two years for a replacement, the original was determined to be "out of spec" by STI. It was a "small" and there will be no more of those made so even when I get the replacement it wont be what I wanted. I am a big STI fan but this grip deal has been very trying.

Mildot

an 8 ounce anchor won't hold most people back..... :devil:

an 8 ounce anchor won't hold most people back..... :devil:

Hey Sv cop you dont have any of there older Svi Grips laying around do you????

Bobby at Freedom Gun Works does a very good job fitting the old STI Aluminum grips. a couple of friends of mine have them on guns they shoot every week. It might be worth a call to get his opinion. More material is not necessarily a solution. It is reasonable that there is enough material if it is not stressed ( ie to tight a fit causing unnecessary pressure).

The reason That I am asking I have a gentlemen that I consider a good friend that got me started in this sport and he has a couple of Svi race guns and the first time I held one in my hand it was so comfortable. Ive wanted one ever since. I didnt have the cash that I could spend to buy an Svi so I got an Sti frame and decided to build my own. Now his are both older guns with the metal grips so I dont know if things have changed. I was looking at the Sti grips or the old metal Svi grips. It seams the latter of the two are hard to find or non existant.I will not be going with the Sti grips.

Edited by Sharkys11

• 2 weeks later...

STI did recently drop the new aluminum grip that is supposed to be tough enough to handle major PF, often. I know the older grip failed pretty regularly due to being thin in certain areas coupled with the fit of the grip to frame often being slightly too tight (as per the guy I talked to on the phone at STI). However, I happened upon a sweet used SV built for open division that had the steel signature grip. I can't say how much I love that thing, it is amazing. It has the micro pockets although I'm not certain how aggressive SV claims them to be, they have several designations. It is a little heavier but once you shoot it for a while you won't notice it, I don't wish for a lighter gun...only to be a stronger man! But seriously, it combines all the things I love about the CZ/EAA grips with the lower half of a 1911/2011, plus a bangin undercut that'll get your grip as high as possible ;)

STI did recently drop the new aluminum grip that is supposed to be tough enough to handle major PF, often. I know the older grip failed pretty regularly due to being thin in certain areas coupled with the fit of the grip to frame often being slightly too tight (as per the guy I talked to on the phone at STI). However, I happened upon a sweet used SV built for open division that had the steel signature grip. I can't say how much I love that thing, it is amazing. It has the micro pockets although I'm not certain how aggressive SV claims them to be, they have several designations. It is a little heavier but once you shoot it for a while you won't notice it, I don't wish for a lighter gun...only to be a stronger man! But seriously, it combines all the things I love about the CZ/EAA grips with the lower half of a 1911/2011, plus a bangin undercut that'll get your grip as high as possible ;)

Im looking for one of the older Svi metal grips. They are not easy to find.

I talked to Max M. At the 2010 ipsc nats and he showed me his aluminum grip. It had two stress cracks. One under the trigger guard and one next to the mag release button. He said it didn't bother him but STI said they were getting too many returns and stopped importing them. I think they are Italian made for guns using a lower power factor. I would go for the SS grip at SV. Can't beat the quality and its nice to have a little more weight in the hands. I have two SV limited gun withSS grips. Love m.

Your GF must be one fugly woman!!! Lol! Seriously, the SV grips cost most of a small fortune but they are obtainable. It just takes a few months on average. Call them up and explain what frame you want it for. If you can't or don't want to fit it I'd guess most any of the top smiths could do the job. Shay at Akai Custom did my stainless signature.

She's not ugly I just did that to piss her off!!!! I was at work when I wrote that and she was on my lap top at home. She reads what I post and sees what I buy so I figured I would screw with her. But yes I am looking for an old Svi metal grip.

Haha! Nice! How old? SV has had them for what? Three or four years?

From what i can figure out some of the first ones will fit an STI frame with out any modification.If Im wrong please school me. I pisses her off constantly that Im on here. I tell her I could be chasing hookers at the bar.

Edited by Sharkys11