Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers

DdiscD

I'm still a noob at this but I need more supplies to continue. I have about 700 round thru my 550b. I'm using Federal sm pistol primers now.

My question is can the sm magnum pistol primers be use in place of just sm pistol primers?

I'm not sure what the difference is really

What application do the magnum primers have? Also what brand should I stick with are SELLIER & BELLOT any good?

Thanks

Edited by DdiscD

I use mostly Winchester small pistol and small rifle (basically interchangeably) for just about everything and have great luck with them. I have used Magnum Pistol primers and could tell no differences in them and standard primers.

Federal for my revolvers - just because wiser shooters have counseled me to do so.

my .02 - YMMV smile.gif

Mag vs. nonMag probably has a lot to do with the size of the flash hole. Trust me I'm no expert, but I thought that cases where a mag primer is called for had larger flash hole diameters. By contrast a small rifle primer is designed for basically the same size flash hole as a .40S&W, but will yield dramatically different results than a small pistol primer, flame wave propagation and such.

I'd think if you got a good deal on SPM primers and the chrono data shows you are within specs then rock on. Honestly I don't know. For me personally they would have to be given to me to even consider using them.

...... By contrast a small rifle primer is designed for basically the same size flash hole as a .40S&W, but will yield dramatically different results than a small pistol primer, flame wave propagation and such.

I don't have any long term data, but I've certainly subbed in SR and LR primers into pistol ammo when that's all I had. Not much difference over the chrono at all, like 20fps if that. Just my personal experience.

Kevin

...... By contrast a small rifle primer is designed for basically the same size flash hole as a .40S&W, but will yield dramatically different results than a small pistol primer, flame wave propagation and such.

I don't have any long term data, but I've certainly subbed in SR and LR primers into pistol ammo when that's all I had. Not much difference over the chrono at all, like 20fps if that. Just my personal experience.

Kevin

I'd have to go with what you say on this since I've not experimented. Another thought is that the powder not the primer is the limiting factor in the equation. If that's the case and if the primer is capable of properly igniting the powder charge then the contribution from the primer is measurable, but not significant.

That makes the most sense to me. The only other consideration is whether or not the cups on the different primers have differing harnesses. Then I can see where a semiauto pistol with a competition spring pack might not light off a small rifle primer. Or a Mag Small Pistol primer is expecting to be hit by a hammer in a revo.

Any primer brand is ok, depends on the user preference. Winchester, Federal, Remington, CCI, Wolf. I find the CCI and Wolf primers are harder, and takes more effort to seat them. Winchester, Federal, Remington are softer. I use small rifle primers on my .40 cal and .38 supercomp loads with no problems. Magnum primers are for MAGNUM loads, they are hotter. DO NOT use pistol primers for rifle loads. Large rifle and Large pistol primers are NOT interchangeable either. Gook Luck! :cheers:

Don't know what pistols your shooting but tuned S@W revolvers, light springs and Glocks with light springs Federal is the way to go. Winchester works great in my 1911/2011 autos. I try and stick with these two and have used CCI in an auto pistol in a pinch. Older Wolff, brass were good but newer ones plated are hard. Try and stick with Federal and Winchester, no problems. Might try Power Valley buying in bulk can save lots of money.

I just picked up some large pistol primers the other day, Winchester. The box says they are for both large pistol and large magnum pistol. I found that odd, as I thought there was a huge difference, but apparently they split the difference?

Edited by PAcanis

I just picked up some large pistol primers the other day, Winchester. The box says they are for both large pistol and large magnum pistol. I found that odd, as I thought there was a huge difference, but apparently they split the difference?

In some brands there is a chemical makeup difference but otherwise, they are identical in appearance & dimension. Some powders/loads will show differences using magnums over standard but others have no measurable difference at all loading with standard or magnum primers. It is always a good idea when changing primer brands or from standard to magnum to reduce your powder charge by maybe 10% if you are loading in the upper range & build your load back up carefully.

MLM

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still a noob at this but I need more supplies to continue. I have about 700 round thru my 550b. I'm using Federal sm pistol primers now.

My question is can the sm magnum pistol primers be use in place of just sm pistol primers?

I'm not sure what the difference is really

What application do the magnum primers have? Also what brand should I stick with are SELLIER & BELLOT any good?

Thanks

if you load at the low end like we do in this game, SPMs will be fine. I am forced alot to order Federal Small Pistol Magnums - match this time and they light off with zero problems and no over pressure signs. They will actually get you a more complete and cleaner burn - I run titegroup. I shoot Glocks which are striker fired with a lighter spring and firing pin. Tula SPMs for example will get a 50% failure rate because the cups ARE harder. It is not a hard and fast rule that cups are harder, etc. You need to try them first in your gun(s).