Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My club is looking to buy a shotgun or two . To be used as prop guns in MG matches. We have held only 2gun(pistol/rifle) so far . We want to do 3gun but the majority doesnt own shotgun yet. We don't know what to buy . Saiga 12 is a NO . We are looking to get semi-auto . What would you suggest and why? Want something reliable .thanks in advance !

For a prop gun, I'd use a Benelli Nova (pump) or something similar.. there's so little that can go wrong.. it would be hard to have a gun related reshoot....

If the competitors use their own ammo in the gun, some might not cycle a semi 100% - rare but it'll happen

And most people know how to clear a pump, but different autos.. there could be a learnig curve

just my opinion

Honestly, I think it is a bad idea all-around, and even more so with a semi-auto.

We have some guys that don't like shotgun, can't shoot them due to shoulder injuries, or don't own them yet. I let them shoot in Open with just 2 guns and use plates that are appropriate for pistol or shotgun.

What is your budget per gun? If on a tight budget, your best choice would be a couple of cheap used Remington 1100/11-87 12ga shotguns. These guns can be had for $3-400 each with 26"/28" barrels, plus say another $50 each for a Choate mag extension. For sure, 3-gun can be hard on these guns (especially with buck/slugs) but if you keep it to birdshot-only stages with known-good ammo, and keep the number of shots down so folks don't have to reload on the clock, the playing field should be level for everyone. I have seen these guns ridden hard and put away wet a lot in the Scholastic Clay Target Program, and they can run well over 100K shells with little more than a regular cleaning.

The 11xx guns should be ready to use pretty much straight out of the box without anyone losing the tip of their thumb (as can happen with an unmodified Benelli/FN/Versa Max). The manual of arms of these platforms is relatively intuitive and easy to grasp compared with the spaghetti guns. Sure, you can add EZ Loaders etc. to make them more competitive but upgrades beyond a mag extension should not really be necessary for club guns.

There are only two downsides to the Remington 11xx guns: (1) parts break, so you need to know what to change and when, and (2) they like to be clean and lightly lubed. At the end of the match, assign the loser to clean and lightly lube the gas system, and check for broken parts... this chore should provide powerful motivation to shoot better :roflol:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I'd say pick up a couple of 870's.

870. Been around for a million years, reliable, fool proof, cheap.

I disagree. The current crop of cheaper 870s (Express, Tactical, Home Defense etc.) are real crap. Cheap or not, I would not recommend one anymore, especially as club guns - you don't want newbies struggling with extraction and ejection problems on the clock. If you can find a couple of old (like 80's or earlier) Wingmasters or Police 870s then the story might be different.

If you really want a cheap pump gun, look at the Mossberg 500 (or even a Maverick 88). Clumsy and rough around the edges, but it's got it where it counts. Or, as mentioned earlier, the Nova.

I still contend that the Remington 11xx platforms would be a wiser choice for similar money.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I agree with the others who don't think using a club-provided shotgun in 3Gun matches is a good idea.

How does your club cover liability? For example, what happens if a club-provided shotgun, using club-provided ammo, has a malfunction that injures a shooter? Not likely, but certainly within the realm of possible.

If you're mind is already made up and the primary purpose is a prop-gun, consider a double-barrel - damn near foolproof (even more than a pump).

If the primary purpose is to have a couple "loaner" guns on-hand for new 3-gunnners who don't yet own a shotgun, then I'd recommend the Mossberg 500 pump - cheap and fairly reliable.

Either way, I'd recommend you have a lawyer draft a very strong liability waiver and ensure all shooters sign.

ETA: If you want your shooters to get alot of practice clearing jams, go with the REM 1100.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

I agree with the others who don't think using a club-provided shotgun in 3Gun matches is a good idea.

How does your club cover liability? For example, what happens if a club-provided shotgun, using club-provided ammo, has a malfunction that injures a shooter? Not likely, but certainly within the realm of possible.

Now you got me thinking … hmm

How's about Benelli m4 or the FN shotgun? Any of you guy using those ? Reliable?

Pricey, thumb biters and complicate manual of arms - even owners of Benellis sometimes find themselves yanking on the charging handle uselessly wondering where the shells have gone. :devil:

How's about Benelli m4 or the FN shotgun? Any of you guy using those ? Reliable?

Pricey, thumb biters and complicate manual of arms - even owners of Benellis sometimes find themselves yanking on the charging handle uselessly wondering where the shells have gone. :devil:

Thanks!!!

I know my 1911s/2011s , Glocks, and ARs . But don't know jack on shotguns..... Something new for me

• 2 months later...

If you're mind is already made up and the primary purpose is a prop-gun, consider a double-barrel - damn near foolproof (even more than a pump).

If the primary purpose is to have a couple "loaner" guns on-hand for new 3-gunnners who don't yet own a shotgun, then I'd recommend the Mossberg 500 pump - cheap and fairly reliable.

Either way, I'd recommend you have a lawyer draft a very strong liability waiver and ensure all shooters sign.

ETA: If you want your shooters to get alot of practice clearing jams, go with the REM 1100.

A waiver really does nothing. How many shotguns have you Seen blow up especially with factory ammo. We are talking much less pressure that a rifle or a handgun and not near the resistance. Stick a wad in the gun and shoot another round and you buldge the barrel though. I would go nova pump guns as they load easy and are a lot more foolproof than the autos.

A waiver really does nothing. How many shotguns have you Seen blow up especially with factory ammo. We are talking much less pressure that a rifle or a handgun and not near the resistance. Stick a wad in the gun and shoot another round and you buldge the barrel though. I would go nova pump guns as they load easy and are a lot more foolproof than the autos.

Maybe the poster was thinking that handing a 12 gauge to a shooter unfamiliar with shotguns and then someone gets shot, everybody gets sued. Agreed that a waiver does nothing and in some cases may actually hurt.

Bill