Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorty open guns w/sideways Cmore mount

OPENB

I recently picked up an STI Matchmaster with a slide ride Cmore on an STI mount with the blast shield built in. My current open gun has a Quinn II sideways mount, & I like the lower dot with this mount. If I put a Quinn on the Matchmaster, will the shorty destroy the Cmore? Any issues running this mount with the comp so close to the optics?

With the Quinn II, that's about the best you can do for the 90 degree mounts. I know Cheely has a new mount out that is set back further like the Quinn II but I have not seen one yet. Yes, every stage or two, I find myself wiping my lens clean. My powder is pretty dirty (HS6) but I don't think it's going to matter much, it's still going to get dirty and frequent. I have several thousand of rounds in my shorty and my lens is fine, just gets dirty often.

I had a 4.13" shorty with just a brazos Thundercomp II, I couldn't finish 32 round stage without the lens starting to fox up. That was with a Quinn I, which sits further back than the II and about the same as the Cheely.

It didn't ruien the C-more, I just kept a lot of lens whipes in the range bag and added cleaning the lens after each stage to my routine.

9 major shoot Silhouette. My full size guns with the same mounts powder etc no problem.

I sold the shorty top end to a friend running a Tube scope.

The question really is not about the soot, but about damaging the sight - the way I understood it. The answer depends on the popple holes, their sizes and locations. Without any doubt some will erode the sight's material - the gas eats the blast shied with time, even the titanium. Without the holes you should be OK, just clean more often, with holes - all bets are off.

Regarding the soot - consider the cleaner powders like the Auto Comp.

The question really was not about the soot, but about damaging the sight - the way I understood it. The answer depends on the popple holes, their sizes and locations. Without any doubt, some such guns will erode the sight's material - the gas eats the blast shield with time, even the titanium ones. Without the holes you should be OK, just clean more often, with holes - all bets are off.

Regarding the soot - consider the cleaner powders like the Auto Comp.

Personally, I would not combine a shorty with holes and side mount. A vertical mount with blast shield would be more like it.

Edited by Foxbat

Hello: The new Cheely mount moves the C-More back the farthest of all the 90 degree mounts. It is working well on a 5" pistol and is not getting any oil or dirt from the barrel or comp. It would work great on a shorty :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

i have both the quinn II and the new cheely angled mount, and I pefer the cheely

i run 4 port hybricomp barrels on my guns, with the cheely, I mounted the scope with lens abut 3/4" back from the

nearest barrel hole and the lens is fine after 200 rounds of practice, no soot build up, with the quinn I had to clean

the lens after 2-3 stages.

however there are 2 things to check, the cheely mounts the scope lower than the quinn, so if you are mounting it

to a frame thats already drilled and tapped, the scope may prevent the slide from going on or rub it, unless it's flat topped.

also the mount places the c-more further back than the quinn II, if you're running a racker it's not an issue,

if you grab the back of the slide like i do, it will get in the way.

my cheely mount went on a new frame that I drilled it as high up and as far forward on the frame as I could.

Thanks for all the advice. The Matchmaster doesn't have any Poppel holes. 3 chamber comp, T2 I think. I am finishing up my last jug of HS6, and will be going to Silhouette. I put my Quinn II on it and will try it out.

The only way to find out for sure is to try it.

With my Bedell Shorty, with an upright mount, I destroyed the lens running minor loads. The less pressure of the minor loads, re-directed the gasses right in to the lens. :mellow:

Hello: The only thing I can add is that the Cheely further back mount may be in the way of a racker depending on where it is mounted. Thanks, Eric

Hellow, fooooorrrrrgeeeetttaaabout the fashion accessory racker, you don't need it. You paid good money to take the fat off your slide and now

you park a fat lady on the back of the slide so you can unload and show clear with style, go figure.

Drop check your ammo, clearing a jam might be faster with a racker, but not having one is even faster!

Unloaded start, a little practice and you will be just as fast, plus in the winter that dang racker won't hang on your clothing.

• 3 weeks later...

It's inevitable that you will get residue on the lens depending on powder choice. I run HS-6 and I always get residue on my sideways Cheely mounted C-More on a full length, no popple hole, SV Ti comped open gun. I just carry a big lens cloth in my pocket and wipe it down after I shoot a stage, it's easy enough to do with your holster locked!