Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing 9mm maj. comp..

canuk

Hi all, lots already written and I have read it... buuut this is my last piece of the puzzle and have to make a decision.

9mm Major (STI build) with 5.5" bull barrel.

I have narrowed it down to:

Trubor T2

Bedell Titanium

Azone

Shoto-comp

These are based a lot on retailer and my limited ability to order (I am in Canada). I have heard lots of good things about all of them but do not have the ability to go try any at my local range.

Thanks a lot for your insight and patience.

Just my two cents.. I have a 9 major, with a the Bedell Ti comp. It seems to like pretty hot loads, like 173ish.. shoots pretty flat, but if i were doing it a again, might get get it in stainless instead of Ti just to get some weight out there. Also have a T2 trubore, it seems to shoot flat with around a 170pf.

But it seems to take just about as much powder to get there as my Schuemann and Bedell. Hope that helps some.

I have or have shot 3 of the 4 on your list. Of those, my favorite is the Shoto. It had the best feel and efficiency, in my opinion. The A Zone looks very interesting and I have heard some good things about that one too. Good luck!

The Azone or Shoto.

Shoto - If you don't mind holes and prefer a lighter front end. Two holes 115 grain HS6

Azone - If you don't like holes and prefer a touch more weight out front. No holes 124 grain Shillouete or N350

Both great systems, both systems are highly competitive, and both will deliver fantastic results. Flip a coin, if you don't know what system you want from the above description or pick it based on which you like the look of.

For the others Trubor or Bedell. Those are great too, if you don't plan on lightening the slide much. With and 11-12oz slide they kind of just cruise. Soft and easy to time.

Bottom line, pick one and practice. Any of them will work great, just different paths to the same destination.

Pick one and shoot it, it doesn't matter as much as you've convinced yourself that it does.

For what it's worth my gun wears a Bedell titanium comp. If I were to buy the gun over again, I would probably go with a Bedell stainless comp with the last chamber removed, just to get a smidge more weight and a smidge less length.

Thanks for all info thus far.

my smith prefers I don't get the T2 and it hasn't come up thus far as a fav. so I will likely remove that from the equation. In canada I only have to reach 160pf so maybe the bedell ti isn't the best. I have also read others that have moved away from the ti comp.

I'll see if I can get someone from Akai on the phone as I haven't heard much about them. I do see they look different on their website (3 v.ports) than what I can find (2 v.ports)

SS bedell is also an option. maybe i'll go that route.

I'm getting closer, thanks guys.

Hello: I am testing some of those setups right now. The STI T2 comp/barrel setup works well but works better with 2 " Benny Hill Hell Holes". I am running the Bedell titanium comp with the last port cut off right now in my 9mm open pistol. It also has 2 "Hell Holes" and shoots very flat with HS-6. The Dawson comp is a heavier comp and the Akai comp is lighter. I am also trying a Brazos comp and a M2i comp. The Akai comp is next to test. Since your power factor is only 160 does not mean you will shoot it at 160. My open 9mm likes the power factor up at 174 and shoots softer and flatter there. I would see if you can shoot some open pistols to see what you like weight wise. Thanks, Eric

The Azone or Shoto.

Shoto - If you don't mind holes and prefer a lighter front end. Two holes 115 grain HS6

Azone - If you don't like holes and prefer a touch more weight out front. No holes 124 grain Shillouete or N350

Both great systems, both systems are highly competitive, and both will deliver fantastic results. Flip a coin, if you don't know what system you want from the above description or pick it based on which you like the look of.

For the others Trubor or Bedell. Those are great too, if you don't plan on lightening the slide much. With and 11-12oz slide they kind of just cruise. Soft and easy to time.

Bottom line, pick one and practice. Any of them will work great, just different paths to the same destination.

Can you clarify what you mean by "two holes" ? are you referring to two barrel holes ?

Thanks

Couldnt you go cone comp and reg profile barrel to save weight up front and still use a steel comp?

Yes you can. A cone comp definitely puts the weight more in your hand versus on the nose. Not all comps come in cone versions.

I have Bedell Ti and a Trubor T1. My Bedell Ti is on a slightly shorter Caspian slide. Balance very nicely like my single stack. Trubor is a little nose heavy but I can get used to it. Using 8.2 gr HS-6 the Trubor is 40 fps slower and feels very soft, but the Bedell seems to run a little flatter. I'm leaning more toward the Bedell Ti at this time.

Edited by MartinLei

The Azone or Shoto.

Can you clarify what you mean by "two holes" ? are you referring to two barrel holes ?

Thanks

Yes two barrel holes. I wouldn't go anymore than two barrel ports for 9 major. You should really try and shoot a gun with barrel porting first. A lot of people hate porting, so make sure.

Open guns are like women, we would all think one is better than the other. That said I'm down to just 3, two cone, and one bull rig, they all have barrels and comps for both 9 major and 38S. In 9 major I went with all Dawson DP-2 Comps, the guns are ugly twins all about 10 oz slides. I find that the bull gun is easier to shoot fast, it seems a bit more stable, not as much dot movement. Same comp same load same slide weight. The guns balance a bit different, the cone gun is a bit more moveable but I think the less bounce from the bull gun lets me shoot better.

I started out with a Tanfo V8, this gun gave me an inate dislike for holes. In 38 Super I tried a Bedel TI, with a load around 170pf the gun was down right violent, so I pushed the powder charge up to 175+pf and it got pretty good, but still not near as nice as shooting 9 major, so the drill came out and it got holed, one #3 hole and it was very nice to shoot.

I also tried the Brazos TC II and nope it didn't cut it in either 9 major or 38SC, it needs some holes. I swaped that one out on a Brazos TC III and it was a bit better.

When it comes to balance you can do a lot with the guide rod, I have steel, aluminum, and tungsten, so I can adjust the out front weight to my preference.

YMMV depending on your skill level and abiltiy to handle recoil. You know red heads or blondes.

Edited by CocoBolo

• 4 weeks later...

I run a Scheumann hybrid in 9 major with an SV Ti comp (the two port model) and I can't get enough of it. Using 9gr. of HS-6 and 115gr. MG FMJs the comp keeps the dot well within the glass. I also used 124gr. MG JHPs over 8.2gr. of HS-6 with good results although I prefer the 115's.