Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack for Steel Challenge

Smitty4313

Hey all!

I was looking into USPSA/Steel Challenge matches near me, and it turns out that USPSA and Steel Challenge both shoot at Colorado Rifle Club at least once a month. I was wondering if a single stack would be ok for Steel Challenge. How many are out there shooting steel? Would I be hampering myself being so limited on shots, or should I be looking at it as a "slow down and make the shots count" thing?

Any advice? Please!

Smitty

I shot SC with a Production G34 for years, and had plenty of rounds after each run. I started shooting open and saw the only difference was needing less mags. I would say go out and run it anyway. Worst case is you find running SS isnt for you, but I'll guarantee you'll have fun with it.

J

Shoot the single stack!!!!

It's hard to explain, but there is a psychological thing of only having limited rounds in the gun and shooting 5 plates that makes you more accurate (and therefore faster). You want to hit the plates without having to do a reload, and you just do. :surprise:

Throw in a hi-cap gun, and you try and go faster and you end up missing plates. :devil:

Of course, it's all to a point, but if you haven't shot steel before, this is true... :D

If you need more than 8 rounds to get through a run, you weren't having a good stage to begin with.

This.

If you shoot more than 8-10 times a stage, you might as well just slow down a make a reload.

I shoot steel with a 9mm STI Trojan. Love it. Have no problem being competitive with it.

• 6 months later...

Can I use any holster other than a full-on race rig?

Smitty

If shooting in the Single Stack Competition Division:

APP A:

"Single Stack: Will be governed by the criteria in the USPSA handgun rule book. i.e. 1911 models only, no race holsters allowed."

Many local matches just have Limited Division which would follow Limited guidlines..