Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What type of chair do you use while reloading?

PistolPete

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless USCBigDawg wants to volunteer his services.....

Architects are like lawyers. We don't do shjt for free!!! Gotta getcha where we can. :lol:

However:

it's impossible to make the full stroke while standing.

Henning - I beg do differ. When I had my 650, it too was on a strong mount right next to my 1050 (which dictated the counter height). While standing (we're like the same height, I'm 74" do the metric conversions :blink::wacko::blink::wacko: ) you can easily look into cases and the bowl of the casefeeder will fit under a 9' ceiling (Maybe an 8 but I'm spoiled. My garage has 10' ceilings and the press sat under a 9' soffit).

No need for a chair (SVI4ME, get off your butt!!!). You're not doing any kind of marathon session where a chair is necessary. If you're loading more than 1500-2000....maybe. Otherwise, get off your butts and get some exercise!!!! :D

Rich

Alright, I have queried some local shooters and so far 100% of them stand (both :rolleyes: ).

I have never even considered sitting to run a press and both of the shooters I talked to said “Sit? Why would anyone sit?” Is this an east/west/up/down/hot/cold thing?

Is it a region, or height thing? Or some other distinctive detail that will allow correlation? Or is it just a random thing with no commonality?

I think we need a poll on this.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

• 7 months later...

I reload standing, barefoot, just to be different. Really I'm flat footed and standing in one place for any length of time in shoes causes pain. My solution was to cut up my old iso-mat and put a large square in front of the press to stand on. Before someone suggests something I tried all the insoles out there including orthotics on the taxpayers dime and only got stress fractures as a result.

Alan

I accidently built my bench a couple of inches too high. My loading room and office are the same thing. I sit in an armed office chair that goes up and down. I put it all the way down and have to put my left foot on a bowl so when I grab bullets with my left hand all I have to do is pivot my arm on my knee to place the bullet on the case. It's comfortable for someone like me who has a bad lower back and has trouble sitting in certain positions for a long time.

Adjustable stool.  You want the press handle level with your shoulder when it is in the forward up position.

I use the kind of chair you sit in.... :P

I agree with Dale on the position of the handle in relation to the chair height. It allows me to shift and use my body weight on both the down stroke and the up stroke...much less effort and strain from the arm/shoulder. Applying aikido principles in reloading!!

I always stand. It seems easier for me to keep an eye on all of the stations of the press. When I load rifle cartriges on my 650 I replace the powder measure with a powder die and funnel from a 550 so that I can weigh each powder charge. When I do that I have to much stuff scattered over the bench to sit.

When I use the SL900 standing makes it easier to look in the hull before the starting crimp to make sure that the petals of the wad didn't get folded over when it seated.