Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cant hear anything!

I've loaded maybe 15000 rounds on my 650 and I just had my first primer go off in the press. Now that will get your attention. :o

From what I've heard that will get your attention (and your neighbors). What brand primer?

I've loaded maybe 15000 rounds on my 650 and I just had my first primer go off in the press. Now that will get your attention. :o

From what I've heard that will get your attention (and your neighbors). What brand primer?

Federal sp 100

New guy here. Still assembling my gear and set up. This primer detonation thing has me wondering. I have my eye pro. Do you wear ear pro also? Not sure how loud a primer by itself is. Do I need to be concerned about the sympathetic primer detonation in the primer tube? Will there be shrapnel launched through the ceiling? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

New guy here. Still assembling my gear and set up. This primer detonation thing has me wondering. I have my eye pro. Do you wear ear pro also? Not sure how loud a primer by itself is. Do I need to be concerned about the sympathetic primer detonation in the primer tube? Will there be shrapnel launched through the ceiling? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

I always wear eyes but never ears when I reload. The ears will be fine if primers go off but your eyes will never be the same if you get impacts there. I'm guessing a primer is pretty loud in an enclosed room. Primer tube detonation with the 650 is a real possibility and has been discussed many times here by those who have experienced it. Typically a Federal primer as they are the softest. Typically either being forced or crud built up on the plunger. There are pictures on here somewhere of whole primer magazines going off and lodging followers in the ceiling along with plenty of primer shrapnel.

Nothing to be overly paranoid about but something to be real careful about when reloading.

Cause? Trash on the seating punch?

Does that really cause a primer explosion? I watch for debris and clean the primer punch. It's left marks on the primer from brass or just dust buildup.I never felt there was enough localized force to set off a primer.

I always wear eyes but never ears when I reload. The ears will be fine if primers go off but your eyes will never be the same if you get impacts there. I'm guessing a primer is pretty loud in an enclosed room. Primer tube detonation with the 650 is a real possibility and has been discussed many times here by those who have experienced it. Typically a Federal primer as they are the softest. Typically either being forced or crud built up on the plunger. There are pictures on here somewhere of whole primer magazines going off and lodging followers in the ceiling along with plenty of primer shrapnel.

Nothing to be overly paranoid about but something to be real careful about when reloading.

I've set off primer only loads to hear what a primer sounds like in an enclosed area. It's loud but not bad. I was, however, expecting the noise.It must be VERY startling when you're in the middle of a loading session. As Sarge said, always wear eye protection but ear protection is not neccesary.There have been posters here who seem to want to get dressed in a suit of armor to start reloading. Caution is good, paranoid not so much. Enjoy the hobby.

Cause? Trash on the seating punch?

I didnt see any thing but did notice a very small sliver coming off of one side of the primer as it was seated. Other than that it was good and flat, not sideways or crushed.

I don’t and won’t wear hearing protection but I do wear eye protection. I was exaggerating a bit on the title because while it was loud it wasn’t that bad. No ringing in the ears or anything. As far as the primers in the fill tube I've had no issues with them going off (knocking on wood) and hope to never experience that.

Been there, done that, got the amazingly bent plastic primer follower rod to prove it.

650 and Fed SP100

I keep the rod on the shelf right behind the press to remind me to be smooth. I need to be smooth and when she isn’t being smooth to STOP and give her some TLC (clean and lube) then continue.

Walt

Been there, done that, got the amazingly bent plastic primer follower rod to prove it.

650 and Fed SP100

I keep the rod on the shelf right behind the press to remind me to be smooth. I need to be smooth and when she isn’t being smooth to STOP and give her some TLC (clean and lube) then continue.

Walt

Good advice. Thanks

650 and Fed SP100

Walt

And a piece of S&B brass. Set off 90+ primers. The tip of my rod is still stuck in the ceiling. :surprise: