Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Hold onto Moly bullets when loading?

Mike in CT

I just started loading Bear Creek moly bullets in 9mm and 40 S&W, in a round nose type configuration.

I find that after the first hundred rounds or so my fingers get coated with the moly and then I start dropping bullets or my production rate slows down dramatically.

Anyone have any tricks? Surgical Gloves/Latex or Nitrile? Those rubber fingers like mail men use?

I have a case feeder so all I am concentrating on are the bullets,

Anyone have any tips or tricks?

Thanks

Mike

Thanks for the tips. I will try the gloves next week and post an update.

Maybe Mr Bullet Feeder will make it on my X-mas list but loading 2 pistol calibers adds to the cost (extra dies and plate?) so gloves will need to do in the short term,

Mike

Is the Moly dangerous? It seams to me that the stuff would be bad for the body and you should use gloves no matter what. I have only used gloves but have very limited use (150 rounds or so)

I've loaded thousands of molys and other than my 3rd testicle there have been no il side affects

Is the Moly dangerous? It seams to me that the stuff would be bad for the body and you should use gloves no matter what. I have only used gloves but have very limited use (150 rounds or so)

I've loaded thousands of molys and other than my 3rd testicle there have been no il side affects

Now THAT'S funny!cheers.gif

We had a guy who worked for me in the shop who commercially made loaded bullets for close on 30years. So he was not young, but he was my go to guy for casting. As time wore on he went somewhat gray, lost some hair and a few teeth. But he had his lead level tested every quarter and he was well under normal. He used the right gear, gloves, mask, goggles, boots and good overalls.

Every now and then someone would come in an a bender about how dangerous lead was. John would get them talking, we would stand back and wait for the penny to drop, the guy would go on and on and on about this. So John would listen intently and then carefully pass on the following information.

" I have been casting since I was 16 (he was close on 70 now) and the signs are as follows, A, Ya loose most of your hair. B, What is left goes gray. C, Ya teeth fall out." At which he would smile broadly showing a large gap. That is about when the guys gets he has been got. Then we sit him down and go through the thing properly, but before that he knew it all.