Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First AR upper build barrel question

mwin323

Ok, so I’ve browsed the forum back to mid-2010 and didn't really see anyone talking about Yankee Hill barrels... Anyone have any opinions/experiences with Yankee Hill barrels? What do you recommend? I'm looking at the 16" 1:7 twist fluted and threaded barrel. This will be my everything AR for now but my next project is going to be a ground up competition AR. Let me know what you think! Also looking at a Yankee Hill free float hand guard.

Thanks!

Also, the price I found on this barrel is about $200 so if you have another recommendation around that price point I would be open to your ideas!

Edited by mwin323

Another option; Since your looking to eventually get a competition gun going, why not start with a barrel that is a bit different. How about an 18" lite profile, 1:8 barrel with a rifle length gas system and adjustable gas block. It will handle quite similar to the 16 fluted, but be a bit smoother with the rifle length system and tuned down gas. That way you will end up with a practice gun that is similar to your competition gun.

JP makes a SS barrel that is quite interesting and when bought as a kit, more reasonable that what might be imagined.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Thanks for the input guys! I think I’m more confused than when I started though... Now I would really like to find someone that actually has any of these barrels in stock then we will see what I end up going with. Keep the suggestions/comments rolling!

I keep the criterion light profile 18" threaded w/ rifle length gas system in stock for about $275,00 plus shipping.

Not an easy thing to do these days, keeping barrels in stock, as you have found out mwin323. Hard enough deciding what you want, but then only to find out there are none available, and in some cases require a 4-6 month wait to get one!

As far as I know, there is no advantage in a 16 over a 18 at all. The 16 is about 40fpm slower than the 18. Benny's lite profile 18 will feel quite similar to the 16 and the rifle length gas system will make it cycle a bit smoother. The 1:8 twist handles a variety of bullets well and is by far the most used twist in 3 gun.

Of course, I'm a bit prejudiced as 3 gunners build performance rifles not safe queens. Not an easy task to make a rifle be quick at 20 feet and accurate at 300 yards, and 3 gunners have it down to an art.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

I keep the criterion light profile 18" threaded w/ rifle length gas system in stock for about $275,00 plus shipping.

Not an easy thing to do these days, keeping barrels in stock, as you have found out mwin323. Hard enough deciding what you want, but then only to find out there are none available, and in some cases require a 4-6 month wait to get one!

As far as I know, there is no advantage in a 16 over a 18 at all. The 16 is about 40fpm slower than the 18. Benny's lite profile 18 will feel quite similar to the 16 and the rifle length gas system will make it cycle a bit smoother. The 1:8 twist handles a variety of bullets well and is by far the most used twist in 3 gun.

Of course, I'm a bit prejudiced as 3 gunners build performance rifles not safe queens. Not an easy task to make a rifle be quick at 20 feet and accurate at 300 yards, and 3 gunners have it down to an art.

Tar

well, i guess it is just me, i love the 16". i have for a year trying to get use to my 18" damn it, that 2" makes it feel a mile long and i am feeling like it has made me slower moving in house/port stages. like i said just me. You know old dog and new tricks.:)

if i was just starting out with a 18 i am sure it would not be a issue.

a note on the YHM, when she first got it, i thought the barrel finish was aweful: i am guessing that were some $ is saved. but it is not a issue as i always use the wilson combat armour tuff. now it has a rich dark finish and is a joy to like at. anywere she use,s people always want to check it out.

:angry:

Tar

well, i guess it is just me, i love the 16". i have for a year trying to get use to my 18" damn it, that 2" makes it feel a mile long and i am feeling like it has made me slower moving in house/port stages. like i said just me. You know old dog and new tricks.:)

a note on the YHM, when she first got it, i thought the barrel finish was aweful: i am guessing that were some $ is saved. but it is not a issue as i always use the wilson combat armour tuff. now it has a rich dark finish and is a joy to like at. anywere she use,s people always want to check it out.

First, each to there own is something that can't be denied. The 18 is by far the favored 3 gun barrel of the top ranked shooters (of which I am not one :rolleyes: ).

Personally I like a bit of heft, it makes the rifle settle better for me. I have an 18 LP profile JP and love it. The profile makes a lot of difference, as does the hand guard. Balance is a big issue too. If your rifle is balanced to far forward it will feel very heavy, even though it may not be. Stock length makes a huge difference in the "speed" of a rifle also, a shorter stock will speed up any rifle. If you haven't already, you might try and change your hand guard, and shorten the stock on your 18 and see how it feels. Not big bucks and can drastically alter the feel of a rifle.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

:angry:

Tar

First, each to there own is something that can't be denied. The 18 is by far the favored 3 gun barrel of the top ranked shooters (of which I am not one :rolleyes: ).

Personally I like a bit of heft, it makes the rifle settle better for me. I have an 18 LP profile JP and love it. The profile makes a lot of difference, as does the hand guard. Balance is a big issue too. If your rifle is balanced to far forward it will feel very heavy, even though it may not be. Stock length makes a huge difference in the "speed" of a rifle also, a shorter stock will speed up any rifle. If you haven't already, you might try and change your hand guard, and shorten the stock on your 18 and see how it feels. Not big bucks and can drastically alter the feel of a rifle.

Tar

I am thinking a lot about the 18" barrel but I think I will see if someone has one at my next 3 gun match that I can run a stage or two with to see how I like the balance before I decide which route I want to go. I've been looking more recently at running a 16" mid length system from LAR Grizzly. As far as finish, I’m not too worried about that as I’m learning how to duracoat and ceracote firearms and will end up refinishing it anyways!

I keep the criterion light profile 18" threaded w/ rifle lenght gas system in stock for about $275,00 plus shipping.

I am interested in taking you up on this possibly, I am curious though if you have any 16" HBAR profile 1:9 twist or 1:8 twist threaded mid-length barrels in stock? If so how much $ would I be looking at? Thanks for your input!

Mike

I can't speak to the YHM barrel (although I do have a YHM handguard on one of my ARs) but my DPMS 3G1's 18" barrel is VERY accurate. It has a very tight chamber that I have to keep clean or I start to have problems with short stroking, but for a game gun, it's a fair trade off. I nylon bore brush it before each match and douse it with Slip2000. Never let's me down now that I know that.

I have the same barrel on mine and it's very accurate can shoot a quater sized hole at 200 yards, don't know if that's any good or not but seems pretty awesome to me.