Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting Up a Versa Max Tactical?

gcoller

Does anyone know if modifying the shell carrier by welding it and lengthening it will render the gun in operable with 3.5" loads? One reason I bought the Versa Max Tac was to use it as a multi role competition/ hunting gun. So far I've modified the carrier by polishing the sharp stamped ends of the "forks" and did the widened the u cuts on the shell catch to aid in easier reloads but I am hesitant on sending the carrier off to be modified the pros if it will decrease my main focus of this platform for hunting also. So far I'm loving this shotgun, 500 rounds down range with everything from 3.5" high velocity turkey loads to the 980 fps Winchester low recoil low noise loads. Just needs the loading port tuned to be a bit more operator friendly in my opinion. Thanks for any advise or wisdom to be shared!

Does anyone know if modifying the shell carrier by welding it and lengthening it will render the gun in operable with 3.5" loads? One reason I bought the Versa Max Tac was to use it as a multi role competition/ hunting gun. So far I've modified the carrier by polishing the sharp stamped ends of the "forks" and did the widened the u cuts on the shell catch to aid in easier reloads but I am hesitant on sending the carrier off to be modified the pros if it will decrease my main focus of this platform for hunting also. So far I'm loving this shotgun, 500 rounds down range with everything from 3.5" high velocity turkey loads to the 980 fps Winchester low recoil low noise loads. Just needs the loading port tuned to be a bit more operator friendly in my opinion. Thanks for any advise or wisdom to be shared!

Unless you NEED it welded because it bites you...you don't need it.

Unless you NEED it welded because it bites you...you don't need it.

Well "need" is a strong word - I'm new to 3 gun so loading shotgun is a new practice for me. I have been practicing about an hour per night with dummy loads using the AP Custom 4x4's for traditional weak hand reloads as well as the Carbon Arms FSL system for 2x loading again w/ weak hand. I'm at the point where I believe if my darn thumb wasn't getting caught every so often that I could really advance my time but I feel myself holding back with a certain cautiousness due to the leery thought of blood blisters on the top of my thumb. LOL.

I'm all for the mod as long as I don't jeopardize the reliability of the gun. But at the same token, I'm not sure if the mods will in fact improve my reloads that much since I'm still new at this.

I have been told by someone that I trust would know the correct answer that the reason the carrier is forked is to allow the longer shells to feed properly. If it were solid all the way to the end, the shells will bind going into the mag tube because of the greater angle of approach.

I haven't had the opportunity to put a lot of rounds through a VersaMax, but for me the carrier would NEED to be welded. My Benelli and SLP doesn't bite me, but the VM sure did.

I have been told by someone that I trust would know the correct answer that the reason the carrier is forked is to allow the longer shells to feed properly.

I believe the fork is there to center the shells as they feed into the chamber - that's why welded carriers sometimes cause feeding problems.

I have several pictures of all of these modifications on my Facebook Page. BrucePiatt

I think mine was one of the first done by C-Rums. CAUTION: this is not a Bennelli and some of the materials are not the same. Some metals don't bend... they just snap. I know this first hand. Welding the lifter helps with the thumb bite but I needed to put a little channel on the inside where the shell is raised. I've shared the photos with Jeff at C-Rums so I think he's modified his process since then.

Be careful cutting coils off the mag spring or any other spring. I haven't touched my springs and all runs well. The shell catch has a sharp edge to it so hitting that "just a little" with a sanding wheel helps the feel dramatically.

Another note of caution.. there is no need to lighten the bolt on a Versamax, in fact this will cause more problems. The bolt velocity on a Versamax is way higher than any B - gun.

Couldn't find the pics of the modifications, Bruce.

Looks like you're running the Tactical on your cover photo. What are your thoughts on the stock mag spring in the Tactical? Does it need to be replaced with a longer Nordic?

I'm also very interested in the shell catch mod. Can this be done in place, or should it be removed?

Mick

I have several pictures of all of these modifications on my Facebook Page. BrucePiatt

I think mine was one of the first done by C-Rums. CAUTION: this is not a Bennelli and some of the materials are not the same. Some metals don't bend... they just snap. I know this first hand. Welding the lifter helps with the thumb bite but I needed to put a little channel on the inside where the shell is raised. I've shared the photos with Jeff at C-Rums so I think he's modified his process since then.

Be careful cutting coils off the mag spring or any other spring. I haven't touched my springs and all runs well. The shell catch has a sharp edge to it so hitting that "just a little" with a sanding wheel helps the feel dramatically.

Another note of caution.. there is no need to lighten the bolt on a Versamax, in fact this will cause more problems. The bolt velocity on a Versamax is way higher than any B - gun.

Edited by MickB

Couldn't find the pics of the modifications, Bruce.

Looks like you're running the Tactical on your cover photo. What are your thoughts on the stock mag spring in the Tactical? Does it need to be replaced with a longer Nordic?

I'm also very interested in the shell catch mod. Can this be done in place, or should it be removed?

Mick

It took a bit of looking for the modification that Bruce mentioned. It's under 3gun in the photos. It shows a depression ground into the inside face of the lifter. No fork or anything like it, as on Benelli M1's.

It took a bit of looking for the modification that Bruce mentioned. It's under 3gun in the photos. It shows a depression ground into the inside face of the lifter. No fork or anything like it, as on Benelli M1's.

I just spent 10 minutes looking through Bruce's family photos (nice looking family by the way) and still didn't find it. Can someone just post the photo here?

I just spent 10 minutes looking through Bruce's family photos (nice looking family by the way) and still didn't find it. Can someone just post the photo here?

This is it.

post-6348-0-99795100-1343390762_thumb.jp

I shot 5 different 3.5" turkey loads with my c-rums modified carrier with no problems. One bird wished otherwise.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm glad this thread was started. I have had my VM for a couple of weeks now and it's got me checking my thumb after every load to make sure it's still in one piece, my thumb that is. Other than that I love the gun and can't wait to try it out in my first match.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

C-rums offers a barrel throating option and Jeff recommended it when I talked to him. Any thoughts on or experience with this?

I'm assuming he's talking about smoothing the sharp edges of the chamber entrance. This is a good idea with the welded lifter, as it doesn't always center the shells perfectly and they can get hung up, particularly on the right side in the extractor cutout. I did mine myself on both my M2 and Versamax. I just hit the extractor cutout with some sandpaper, no problems since.