Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Names

sperman

Since we are no longer tied to the IPSC rulebook, would there be any support for changing the names to something that makes more sense? My recommendation would be to avoid any association with the old names (Metric / Classic) and go with something new, like US target and International target. I know this isn't a huge problem, but it is confusing. When I was a new shooter I had them backwards for a few months.

My understanding of the term "metric" was because all the measurements for the borders and hit zones was done from the design stage to be in centimeters. Hence the name "metric".

Edited by Skydiver

Obviously, the classic target is no such thing. :ph34r:

A "classic " target would be the Florida 8, Milpark, or Item target.

As far as the metric target was concerned, it was initially referred to as the Brussels target because that is the World Assembly where it was adopted. It replaced all the "classic targets". Unless we want to redo all the dies in the Country, I have no real issue with Metric target. If you are really serious, call it the USPSA Target, but leave the design alone.

My main issue is the US popper should be called that, not a "mini-popper". Too many guys seeing an Austin Powers Movie I guess. Mini-meeeeeeee!

Jay

Unless we want to redo all the dies in the Country, I have no real issue with Metric target. If you are really serious, call it the USPSA Target, but leave the design alone.

I'm only suggesting we change the names. :cheers:

Unless we want to redo all the dies in the Country, I have no real issue with Metric target. If you are really serious, call it the USPSA Target, but leave the design alone.

I'm only suggesting we change the names. :cheers:

I can agree 100% with that.

You wouldn't get any objection from me.

... I had them backwards for a few months.

You aren't the first to do that. It always bugged me that the newest version of the target is called the "Classic", and that the "Metric" is used in the US where we prefer tol use inches and feet.

One thing I would really like, get the names for the various "poppers" in the older classifier descriptions, so that they match the current names used in the current rulebook. I was setting up a classifier at the last match, and then description in classifier said USP. I could not remember for the life of me if that was the big popper with a head, or the small popper with a head (I knew it was not a classic - there was a picture at lease......).

Had to call another MD in the state and get him to refresh my memory.

Mark K