Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli pump

dmshozer1

What is more popular for 3gun, Super Nova or regular pump and why.

Thanks

I see a lot of Super Novas (Super Novae?), it's possible to change stocks to make the gun fit the shooter better. The regular Nova fit me just fine, and is quite a bit cheaper, so that's what I shoot.

DanO

Opinions vary. Some prefer the comfortech on the supper as well as the extra adjustability. Others prefer the slimmer feel of the standard Nova. You should shoot them both if you can and decide which you prefer.

What is more popular for 3gun, Super Nova or regular pump and why.

Thanks

Dave,

I went with the SuperNova because of the Comfortech stock. From what I've seen, the Nova has the safety located at the rear of the triggerguard, where the Super has it at the front. It takes a bit more movement for the front mounted safety.

Either Benelli is chambered for 3 1/2" shells, which give you a huge loading port, and also a longer stroke for functioning. A bigger loading port is beneficial, I can learn not to mess up not shortstroking.

Dan, the Nova safety is also at the front of the trigger guard. It's just a longer reach to get it on the SuperNova because of how the stock attaches.

Like Dan, I use a standard Nova because it was cheaper.

Edited by Bryan 45

Dan, the Nova safety is also at the front of the trigger guard. It's just a longer reach to get it on the SuperNova because of how the stock attaches.

Bryan,

Unlike me, you use a Nova, rather than the Super Nova. My wife got me the Super for Christmas. :D

Bryan,

Unlike me, you use a Nova, rather than the Super Nova. My wife got me the Super for Christmas. :D

That's a damn fine reason to use a SuperNova! And a great wife!

I should have said like Dan Overcast I use a standard Nova. :)

Another vote for the Nova here. I like the shape of the triggerguard and the way the safety and slide release are not recessed. I have shot M2s and M1s and can't personally feel a noticable difference between a plain stock and a Comfort-tech. The Nova fits me good also. You might want to try both before you settle on which one you like the best.

Hurley

Bryan,

That's a damn fine reason to use a SuperNova! And a great wife!

I should have said like Dan Overcast I use a standard Nova. :)

And that's pretty much where the comparison ends.... :cheers:

I picked up a 24" super nova in January for some heman division shooting in 2012. After messing with it a while I decided that I really, really liked it. I showed it off to my 4 closest shooting buddies and let them all shoot it. 3 of them have since purhased super novas and 1 purchased a standard nova. On the pump gun there is a noticable difference in both felt recoil and front sight management when shooting fast with the comfortech. The Nova is good and the Super Nova is noticably gooder, especially when shooting the heavier stuff like buck and slugs. It's true that the receiver is slightly fatter on the Super, but not where you interface with the gun. When you've got the super mounted you don't notice it. It's really more of a looks thing. They both function and handle equally well. I find the comfort tech stock worth the extra bucks though. Get what you really want cuz to be honest, a year from now, you will not look back and say "darn, I really wish I had that extra $90!". You will however regret not getting the one you want every time you pick it up. Ask me how I know.

It is my observation that the comfortech stock benefit is less noticable on the autos. My speculation is that the stock needs a certain amount of force to make it flex. The autos naturally absorb more of that force than the pumps. With the light target shells (3 drams or less), you simply don't get enough force to flex the stock. Which is why many people say they don't notice any difference. Even low recoil buck and slugs don't really push any harder than 3 dram birds. So I'd say there is more cost to benefit in the pumps than the autos with the comfortech. My super nova recoils about the same as my SLP.

There are only two real draw backs to the nova design that I can see. 1st, the pump stroke is a bit long and it can be short stroked. You really need to practice a bit to get longer stroke into muscle memory. 2nd, the twist lock bolt requires a much larger extractor channel around the back of the chamber. This creates a spot where shells can get caught goin in. So the Novas are a little more finicky about shell selection. Shells with sharp edged crimps from thin walled hulls are more likely to snag the lip than round edged crimps from thick walled hulls. In addition, you can't throat out the extractor groove like on an auto, because a pump is largely unsupported in that spot, due to the need for the extractor to be hooked on the casing at all times. Any throating there will result in an even more unsupported condition, which most budget shells can't take. All this means is that you will want to run better shells at matches. So I run the cheap stuff in practice and AA, STS or Gun Clubs in matches.

Very well stated and I concur.

I actually feel my Super Nova's recoil impulse is less "sharp" than my M2.

This lends more credence to the idea that the ComforTech stock is "working" on the Super Nova.

As far a short stroking any 3.5" pumpgun is going to be more problematic. Heck I have done it with dedicated 2.75" pumpguns!

I picked up a 24" super nova in January for some heman division shooting in 2012. After messing with it a while I decided that I really, really liked it. I showed it off to my 4 closest shooting buddies and let them all shoot it. 3 of them have since purhased super novas and 1 purchased a standard nova. On the pump gun there is a noticable difference in both felt recoil and front sight management when shooting fast with the comfortech. The Nova is good and the Super Nova is noticably gooder, especially when shooting the heavier stuff like buck and slugs. It's true that the receiver is slightly fatter on the Super, but not where you interface with the gun. When you've got the super mounted you don't notice it. It's really more of a looks thing. They both function and handle equally well. I find the comfort tech stock worth the extra bucks though. Get what you really want cuz to be honest, a year from now, you will not look back and say "darn, I really wish I had that extra $90!". You will however regret not getting the one you want every time you pick it up. Ask me how I know.

It is my observation that the comfortech stock benefit is less noticable on the autos. My speculation is that the stock needs a certain amount of force to make it flex. The autos naturally absorb more of that force than the pumps. With the light target shells (3 drams or less), you simply don't get enough force to flex the stock. Which is why many people say they don't notice any difference. Even low recoil buck and slugs don't really push any harder than 3 dram birds. So I'd say there is more cost to benefit in the pumps than the autos with the comfortech. My super nova recoils about the same as my SLP.

There are only two real draw backs to the nova design that I can see. 1st, the pump stroke is a bit long and it can be short stroked. You really need to practice a bit to get longer stroke into muscle memory. 2nd, the twist lock bolt requires a much larger extractor channel around the back of the chamber. This creates a spot where shells can get caught goin in. So the Novas are a little more finicky about shell selection. Shells with sharp edged crimps from thin walled hulls are more likely to snag the lip than round edged crimps from thick walled hulls. In addition, you can't throat out the extractor groove like on an auto, because a pump is largely unsupported in that spot, due to the need for the extractor to be hooked on the casing at all times. Any throating there will result in an even more unsupported condition, which most budget shells can't take. All this means is that you will want to run better shells at matches. So I run the cheap stuff in practice and AA, STS or Gun Clubs in matches.

as to the "throating" of the extractor cut on the barrel, it can be done quite safely and without any operating issues. as to the "feel" of the comfortek "working" on the supernova, if both are properly fit to the shooter you won't notice a difference provided you replace the stock nova pad with a better "working" one. the larger area of the supernova is in fact in the shooter/gun interface area, it affects where and how you get to the controls of the gun(safety/bolt release). they are easier to get to in the standard nova, but that issue can be fixed, just like any other difference between the two guns, can be fixed. so get whatever one you like, the easiest way to do that is pick up each and shoot them and go from there.

as for short stroking, any gun that you provide the means to operate, can be made to fail. if it happens to you, don't blame the gun, you blame yourself, because you failed to provide the proper means of operation.

One other point and this one doesn't matter which model you get, but every camo gun I've worked on is always stiffer to cycle than the stock gray ones, I believe its the thickness of the camo coating on the receiver and fore arm, but that to can be fixed. It just makes the camo gun look uglier when you're done.

Also DO NOT replace the stock follower in the mag tube with an aftermarket one made for Benelli, they are made for the auto guns and not the pumps, Nordic Components is working on a follower for the Novas, I've got one I'm testing, and it appears to be working so you may be able to purchase it soon, but DO NOT use one made for the autos, it will fail at some point.

Trapr

You are more experienced with this platform than I am, so I will defer to your knowledge base. I will however offer up this interjection. The extractor grove can be throated safely, but I wouldn't make a random recommendation to do so as it is very easy to mess up and take out too much material. Probably more so than most other platforms. Running quality ammo gives more room for error, but lets face it... most club level 3gunners show up with walmart shotgun shells which simply aren't strong enough to take much more unsupported chamber than is already (not) there. How did you find out what the limit was on how much material can be removed? Did you find out the hard way on a nova long gone by? I'd be lying if I said that I didn't find out the hard way. Lesson learned and passed on.

No I tend to do things a little at a time rather than a bunch and hope for the best, throating is really not what i would call it, its more like polishing. all you really need to do is make the sharp edge go away. the trick is to leave the dremel or foredom unplugged and do it by hand.

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

What can/should be done to shorten the length of pull on a supernova? I feel reallly stretched out on mine. Part of it may be geting my left/weakhand grip right.

What can/should be done to shorten the length of pull on a supernova? I feel reallly stretched out on mine. Part of it may be geting my left/weakhand grip right.

I changed stock for Mesa Tactical Urbino stock for Supernova. It is short LOP pistol grip stock.

IMG_0170.JPG

Edited by Montrala

Also DO NOT replace the stock follower in the mag tube with an aftermarket one made for Benelli, they are made for the auto guns and not the pumps, Nordic Components is working on a follower for the Novas, I've got one I'm testing, and it appears to be working so you may be able to purchase it soon, but DO NOT use one made for the autos, it will fail at some point.

Trapr

I will testify to that. I did not realize that the mag follower in the Novas have a longer extension to clear the shell from the tube completely and into the loading port. I replaced mine with a "high speed, low drag" follower and got a quite a malfunction when the shell did not yet clear the tube before the lifter began to lift it. Lucky for me, it was just during play time instead of in a match.

I love my Super Nova. It is by far the best pump gun there is.

You should be able to get a shorter recoil pad for it, the one on the M2 Comfortech stock just snaps in. Like everything Benelli, it's not cheap.