Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180gr 40 major recomendations

Zmego

I am just starting to reload for IPSC and I am looking for a good starting point for a major load. I just ordered some Montana Gold 180gr FMJ and I have some Unique powder but my Hornady book doesn't have any load data for Unique. I am open for all suggestions including switching powders. This will be just my second IPSC match so I am very new to this whole scene. Thanks for the help.

Do a search for "180gr Unique Major" & you'll find a TON of posts that will point you in the right direction. It would also help to know what gun you're loading for, and what OAL you're using.

I am just starting to reload for IPSC and I am looking for a good starting point for a major load. I just ordered some Montana Gold 180gr FMJ and I have some Unique powder but my Hornady book doesn't have any load data for Unique. I am open for all suggestions including switching powders. This will be just my second IPSC match so I am very new to this whole scene. Thanks for the help.

I tried Unique, several years ago, and was not pleased with the results, in 40 caliber.

I am hooked on WSF (Winchester Super Field). Here is my load data, for a 4.5" XDM:

CASE: mixed

PRIMER: CCI 500

BULLET: MG 180 gr. CMJ

POWDER: 5.4 gr. WSF

COL: 1.10"

PF: 174

Edited by Reshoot

I recently started using Unique for .40 major with180 gr bear creeks and it's doing very well in my generously chambered Glock.

I get the feeling it's "dirty" reputation was earned In lower psi cartridges. It's pretty clean for me. Easy to spot a double charge. Measures decently... And after TrailBoss, it gives me my second best SD / ES.

I says start with what you have and you'll KNOW when it's time to switch to something else because you'll already know what powder you're jumping to.

I says start with what you have and you'll KNOW when it's time to switch to something else because you'll already know what powder you're jumping to.

I agree, I've used it and it worked fine. It may not be optimum, but it's not terrible either!

Mike

UNIQUE powder for MAJOR loads runs pretty clean compared to some others. At MINOR loads it's a bit smokey/dirty but not terrible.

I run UNIQUE for both my MAJOR and MINOR loads:

MAJOR Load:

Brass: mixed

Primers: Winchester or Magtech or CCI

Heads: Zero 180gr FP

Powder: 5.6 - 5.7gr UNIQUE

OAL: 1.135"

MINOR Load:

same as above but 4.6gr's UNIQUE.

Z

I'd stick with the slower powder WSF/Unique unless you can get your OAL out beyond 1.140. You can get into the fast powders safely at 1.180.

With Jacketed bullets like the 180gr Zero 5.0gr of N320 at 1.185 shoots very nice, about 172pf.

I like the 185gr Precision or 180gr Bayou bullets for limited, with these 231 or WST is very nice (@4.7gr) at 1.185.

I blew some tops off and split some cases with the faster powders loaded for a CZ at 1.140. All those issues went away at 1.180+.

With 180grn Montana Gold JHP bullets I have had good luck with 6.0grns of Silhouette or with 5.2grns of Universal (Formerly known as Universal Clays... do NOT confuse it with actual Clays which is a much faster powder and the reason Hodgdon changed the name!). With either load I get about 170 power factor in my 5" XD Tactical or my 5.25" XDm Competition model at 1.131 OAL. These are nowhere near maximum loads and should be very safe in any normal 40cal gun. You are loading somewhat unnecessarily short at 1.125 in your gun I think, though it is the factory SHORTEST recommended OAL. Going longer within reason is really safer and usually more reliable for feeding in most guns. Make up some dummy rounds a bit longer and see if you can drop them into your barrel and have them seat all the way. Then try them in your magazines and hand cycle a couple of them. Most STI's have much longer chambers than my XD types, so the recommendation by CocoBolo about lengths over 1.140 should probably be experimented with. I would still stick with medium powders though, but it gives you leeway to increase the charge by a .1grn or so to fine tune your power factor.

As a note... Montana Gold bullets run a little slower in my guns than several other types of bullets. I guess the jackets are a bit harder than most. The Silhouette load seems to shoot a little softer than the Universal load, so if you can get some to try out I would go with that first. Universal is pretty available though so whatever you run across will do.

Like the others have said, Unique, while a bit sooty at lower pressures, runs better and cleaner nearer the high end of its recommended loadings. I have used it but when I shoot lead I don't like to change the powder and it will be smokey if you use lead. Silhouette is much less smokey with lead, but a lesser charge of 5.8grns will give you about 170-172 power factor with say, an S&S cast 180grn TC bullet should you decide to try some lead bullets. Universal is also a bit too smokey with lead in my experience, but your experience could be different if you go that route.

Again, like others have said, stick with the more medium speed powders if you make a change as they are much safer and easier to monitor than faster powders.

try 4.8 grains of N320 with a 180 grain jhp at 1.180 oal. this load used to give me a nice soft 168-170 pf out of my 5" STI's. Universal was an accurate powder for me but recoiled a bit hard and did create a bit of smoke with lead/moly

Solo 1000 also feels great recoil wise with moly bullets. very low SD/ES and clean too. I use Solo for practice ammo.

try 4.8 grains of N320 with a 180 grain jhp at 1.180 oal. this load used to give me a nice soft 168-170 pf out of my 5" STI's. Universal was an accurate powder for me but recoiled a bit hard and did create a bit of smoke with lead/moly

Solo 1000 also feels great recoil wise with moly bullets. very low SD/ES and clean too. I use Solo for practice ammo.

1.170.... 180 g Zero or MG's ....4.7-4.9 on top of V320.... clean ( I dont want any smoke), nice load,...all I use in my .40 STI's

I load long .40 (1.180 to 1.20) with all kinds of 180 grain bullets, but my favorites are lead and Bayou Bullets.

I have used Universal Clays very successfully and now run Bullseye (nearly identical weight and feel of UClays)..

• 2 weeks later...