Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDS First Impressions

crabby

Five years ago (or close to then) I switched my Production pistol from Glock to XD and never looked back! I got the first 9mm XDM 5.25 that I found and love it. So it was natural that I would be interested in the XDS for CCW. Bottom Line: my personal opinion is that this is the perfect pistol for those who need a pistol that is highly concealable but that also shoots the powerful 45 ACP round. It weights a tad over 21 ounces and is as thin as my Kahr PM-9. Works great in a pocket holster. I have ordered 2 new IWB holsters and will let everyone know how they work out. After some range sessions with a variety of ammo, I can report that it performs 100% and is surprisingly accurate ... and the amazing thing is that it is so controllable.

Having read the glowing reviews and watched the Shot Show videos ... I am thrilled to report that it is all I expected ... and much more!

Thank you for that range report, David! Have yet to see one, in my neck of the woods. But, my local dealer promised to bring one to a match and let the entire squad have at it. I decided not to buy one until that time. Patience is a virtue ;)

I have one also, but only have about 50 rounds thru it. I had one light strike on WWB 230 gr. ball ammo. There have been some issues with the striker talked about on XDTalk. Might be worth checking it out if your interested in one. It's very thin and reasonably light weight and has an available 7 round mag also. It's a nice carry gun, but I need to get some more rounds thru mine. It's much nicer than the Kahr CW40 it replaced, but it's a lot more money also. It has a healthy recoil, but is managable for a small 45.

Cool. I've been planning to get one as soon as the distributors have them available for the "little" dealers.

My only real concern is the finish--the black XD finish has never been known for being all that great--wonder if it would be worth the wait for a two-tone.

I have one also, but only have about 50 rounds thru it. I had one light strike on WWB 230 gr. ball ammo. There have been some issues with the striker talked about on XDTalk. Might be worth checking it out if your interested in one. It's very thin and reasonably light weight and has an available 7 round mag also. It's a nice carry gun, but I need to get some more rounds thru mine. It's much nicer than the Kahr CW40 it replaced, but it's a lot more money also. It has a healthy recoil, but is managable for a small 45.

Winchester White Box is not a good standard (over and over again, I have heard about problems with WWB). However, I fired a variety of target and self-defense ammo (especially Remington Golden Saber - 230gr) without a single failure. Can't address your ammo or pistol ... but I can say that I have never had a failure in an XD product. And most importantly, I now trust my life to the XDS! (Really, no higher compliment can be paid to any CCW).

Mike,

All of the finishes since 2006 are being done in melonite, the brinal(sp) finish was junk.

Rich

Rich ... hoping someone soon begins doing trigger jobs on the new XDS! :)

I really want one but want to wait for the 40 and 9 to come out for comparison. I WILL have one but it remains to be seen what cal.

Mike,

All of the finishes since 2006 are being done in melonite, the brinal(sp) finish was junk.

Rich

I'm working on that right now, a little shorter movement and 3.5# pull is the goal for carry use. The biggest done fall to this model is that the trigger is more flock like than XD.

Rich

Had a chance to fondle one at the LGS today - the trigger was odd when dry firing in the fact that it stayed ALL the way to the rear of the trigger guard (like it was stuck) until the slide was racked. None of my XDs or XDMs do this.

Had a chance to fondle one at the LGS today - the trigger was odd when dry firing in the fact that it stayed ALL the way to the rear of the trigger guard (like it was stuck) until the slide was racked. None of my XDs or XDMs do this.

The XDs trigger system is totally different than the XD's and XDm's. The trigger does stay back until the slide cycles and resets the fire control system.

Rich

Yesterday UPS delivered my CROSSBREED IWB Holster and Mag Pouches (To be honest, I bought these merely because CROSSBREED is just one of two vendors that I could find stocking XDS equipment ... so I was a little nervous). I am pleasantly surprised! Highly recommend the CROSSBREED SUPER TUCK DELUXE IWB Holster and Mag Pouches for XDS personal defense carry.

Mike,

Rich

I'm working on that right now, a little shorter movement and 3.5# pull is the goal for carry use. The biggest done fall to this model is that the trigger is more flock like than XD.

Rich

Let me know when you're ready and I'll send mine in.. Thanks!!!!

Edited by Marv Z

I was looking into a Kahr when I heard of the new XDS. I was always under the impression that Kahr's were very nicely made but you say the Sheild is a nice weapon how so?

Edited by spartacuslv

I was looking into a Kahr when I heard of the new XDS. I was always under the impression that Kahr's were very nicely made but you say the Sheild is a nice weapon how so?

They are in different leagues. My KAHR PM-9 (Customized by ROBAR) is my favorite pocket pistol (carry it daily in right front pocket) ... and the Shield is much larger.

The XDS is a tad bigger ... but still works in a pocket holster.

Just picked up my SECOND XDS (YES, I love these pistols!) I am blessed to have a friend who is a high volume dealer ... so he held this one for me as soon as it just delivered (only two have come in and I bought them both).

I have been carrying the XDS in a pocket holster in my right front pocket (with pants that allow for this ... the pleated khakis and loose fitting jeans work great). I just started carrying IWB. My CROSSBREED IWB was delivered ... and shortly thereafter, my WHITE HAT IWB was delivered. I really, really love them both (virtually the same holster). They pull the pistol in close to the body which is the ultimate for concealment. But the leather supports evenly distribute weight and pressure ... could wear all day and still be comfortable.

My plan is to carry both XDS as my primary CCW pistols. Hope someone soon comes out with an ankle holster.

Not many rounds through XDS #2 ... but XDS has gone through the paces with a lot of ammo. ZERO FAILURES or problems of any kind.

If you can find one .. buy it! You will not regret it.

• 1 month later...

I took my new one out to the range last night. I was supprised that it is so easy to shoot. I took my PM9 out to compare and I would much rather shoot the XDS. You will see the PM9 in the classifieds once I clean it up and take some pics.

Just for fun, I started backing up from my full size IPSC steel target to see how far back I could get and still hit it every time. I ran out of rounds at 80 yards and was still hitting the target almost every time. I think that is amazing for a 3" pistol. Very easy to control the recoil and very easy to shoot accuratly.