Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex M&P failure resistant extractor

reichebrown

I have been plagued with FTEs for years with my M&P pro and I am looking for a solution not a bandage. Does the FRE really work as well Apex says? For the people who have one have you experienced ANY FTEs since instillation?

I've had mine installed for over a year now with no FTE issues. Easy to install and Apex has an installation video on their website which is helpful if it will be your first time removing your M&P extractor. If you're going to install it in a .40 then there's a slight modification suggested. That point is discussed in the installation video.

Well gents I just ordered one and looked at the install video. It doesn't look like it will be too bad and my gun has the roll pin not he old solid pin so I think I should be able to do it. I thought keeping my gun immaculately clean would solve the problem... It only seemed to make it worse! Im keeping my fingers crossed. I have a sanctioned IDPA match on the 13th that Im hoping to have the gun sorted out for.

If your Pro is 9mm the FRE should work fine as a drop in. If it is a 40 you may need to break the edges of the claw (per the video).

BTW, I have a FRE in both of my 9's and never had a FTE.

My first M&P9, a standard gun with 4.25" barrel, has never had any issues with extraction/ejection with the OEM extractor.

My second M&P9, a Pro with 5" barrel and older solid extractor pin, had unreliable ejection, with stovepipes every other match or so. The extractor pin was an SOB to remove, so I sent it to Apex to have the FRE installed (best $15 I have spent in years). Since then, the ejection problems have been completely cured.

My third M&P, another Pro with 5" barrel but with the newer roll pin for the extractor, has never had an extraction/ejection problem with the OEM extractor, though hand cycling rounds into the chamber during initial loading can be hesitant. I have a FRE in my parts box but have not felt compelled to install it as the gun runs OK for now. If feeding becomes a concern, I may install it at some point... at least the roll pin should make the task easier.

I still have all three guns and they get a lot of use (I have two sons who shoot now - thank goodness they are only shooting 9mm).

I had some extraction issues with my M&P357 when I used chunky dirty AA7 powder. Put in the Apex and it yanked the casings right out, without fail, no matter how much of that chunky crud was fouling the chamber.

I got the FRE installed and had a chance to run it in practice and a USPSA match tonight. The gun is back up and running with no FTE problems so far. Its going to be great running the gun without having my conscious mind occupied by worries of impending FTEs. Talk about being able to let go! Thanks for all the great advice. My only regret is not buying this part sooner.

Glad it is working out. My Apex equipped M&P's run so well that equipment malfunctions are the last thing on my mind during any practice session or match. Good to remove hardware from my performance but bad that I am not practicing tap, rack, bang.

Tap rack bang could not fix the problem I was having. I use the speed shooters mag well and base pads. When you get an FTE the gun locks up and you can't move the slide or drop the mag or pull it out. What I had to do was press the mag release and hit my forearm against my thigh forcing these out. I assume it must be a sight to see when I do it. Over the years I have gotten to be quite good at it... I hope to never do it again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...