Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CB45 Range Diary

CB45

Well I've been thinking about plans and goals for 2014.

I'm going to train more and go to more major matches. I want to go to at least 2 Area matches and go to at least 6 level II's. I will most likely mean I will have less time to go to local club matches, which will be OK.

2014 Goals.

1. Attend as many major USPSA matches as possible.

2. Practice regularly.

3. Have fun.

I believe that if I put in the work to practice and train, my match performance will reflect those efforts. That's what I did this year, and it seemed to work. I know that I'll be in contention to win every match I go to if I put in the required work. I'm excited to get back to work in the spring. Until then I'm going to train and dry fire like a mad man.

Personal accomplishments for 2013.

1. Classified M in Open.

2. Attended over 50 pistol matches this year

3. Shot two 100% classifiers

4. Finished 92% @ Illinois Sectional

5. 2013 Indiana SCSA Open Champion.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've decided on a mantra for 2014, "Compete Fiercely." That's what I'm going to do.

Practiced twice this weekend. I had to take advantage of the mild weekend.

Saturday I did some near to far and 20yd bill drill exercises. Best surrender Bill Drill at 20yds was 3.24s. Near to far went OK.

Sunday was more near to far work, movement, and some "Blake Drills". I'm so fascinated with that type of shooting. I'm way better at hard shots than I am at the close hosing. I may work on that next year.

Rob diagnosed a problem I have. My mind is working faster then my body is working. I begin the next task before I finish the one I was performing. This only is apparent when I'm engaging in "Speed Mode," but I think it reveals some flaws in my technique. So this is something I want to work on in dry fire this winter.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I've been hitting the dry fire pretty tough. I've been working reloads and movement drills. Learning a lot and actually enjoying it. My studio looks like mini stage. I'm not sure how the girlfriend will like it... haha.

I think I've done injured myself. My weak hand wrist throbs in pain when I hold a gun. I'm not quite sure how I injured it, but I think I'm going to have to give it a rest for a few days. I've got a rehabing to do. Good news is that I think my shoulder has been holding up. Now I need to get my wrist healed up.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot an indoor match today with the Trubor. No extraction issues , but experienced two failures to feed. The slide just didn't go all the way into battery. I'm thinking weak recoil spring or the gun is still breaking in after the ceracote job. I think it will be OK after I get a couple hundred more round through it.

I let the inner hoser come out a little bit today. Evidently this MD doesn't like targets hung the traditional head-up configuration, so I had a bit of a learning curve at first. I tried a new turn and draw for the classifier Front Sight, won't do that again.

It felt good to get back on the range and feel some match pressure. Chris K. got me today... I'll bring my GM game next month... haha!

Edited by CB45

Yesterday Rob and I left for Bend of the River in Niles, MI at 5:45am. 3hr white knuckle drive later on snow packed roads, we arrived and shot the match.

Then someone mentioned a match at Top Gun near Detroit, MI at 6pm. We determinef it would be a 4hr drive home from Detroit. A 4hr white knuckle drive on ice covered interstate (Michigan must not believe in salt), we arrive at Top Gun about 2.5hrs early. We left Detroit at 8:30pm and hit a snow squall in northern Indiana around 11:00pm. That was CRAZY!!!! I thought we were done for, but we made it back around 1:00am. Rob still had to drive home, I hope he made it.

Rob and I both had a tough time at Top Gun. I learned a lesson in mental fatigue, the mental game is even more important.

I'm just glad we made it back safely and I got all my suckitude out of my system for 2014.

I'm ready to shoot the WIIT match Saturday.

Shot the WIIT Saturday at Pinetree Pistol Club in Rockford, IL. I had a decent match. I was a little too aggressive with one stage, but I learned from it. There was about 4 ways to shoot the stage, and I took the most aggressive and risky. Note to self, don't do that.

Even with a slight hickup on one stage, it looks like I won Open!

Two weeks until Florida!

Thanks Kurt!

A friend of mine ordered some Captians of Crush grip strengtheners for me. I'm slowly working with those things to get my grip strength up. Can't hurt.

Dry fire is going well. I'm happy to see I've been able to maintain the skills I worked last year to learn.

Edited by CB45

What happened man? Breakages are never any fun & there's never a good time for a breakage.

I broke my ejector tonight at practice, so I know the feeling. Guess I'll have to shoot LTD at tomorrow night's match since I have no backup Open gun! :(

I guess the slide had finally had enough. The gun has had a lot of rounds through it. The last stage at WIIT I did have a malfunction. I thought it was a bad bullet, but maybe that's when the slide cracked?

I need to figure out if I'm going to rebuild the gun, build a new gun, or switch divisions. I'm beginning to not enjoy the maintenance required for Open. A production rig may be in my future...

I've got components to shoot Open through the end of this season, so I'll stick to Open until then.

I just hope my backup holds together for the three majors I'm shooting this spring. I want to have a good showing at Florida Open, Area 6, and Alabama. Hard to do that with an unreliable setup.

Decisions...

Yeah, just be sure you also pick up a magnifying glass, tweezers, and a 3rd or 4th hand to help hold all the little unnessecary springs, pins, & sear cages that come with the CZ.

My XDm 5.25 has about 1/3 the internal parts, and has a trigger as light as a 1911. More consistant than a CZ too, with no double action 1st shot. :)

(I'll sell it to you when you're ready to get out of Open)

(I'll tell you when you're ready to get out of Open)

I like what I did with your statement Sensei, just seems better, lol.

Talk some sense into CHad!!! He is like the emo kid standing on the parapet of a 10 story building...He says he can't handle this ruff world and he is going to jump. He really just wants his friends to talk him off the ledge! We are here for you Chad. Step off the parapet and lets get you back on track. We can help you through this....I promise!