Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do I Need? M&P 9 Pro

roostershooter

I'll try and give you as much information as possible, so that I can get my point across.

I'm looking to get into some sort of competition shooting, although I don't know which organization yet.

I'm wanting to turn my new M&P Pro 9 into a competition ready pistol.

I do not like sub-4# triggers on any pistol.

What do I need? Would polishing the internals with a soft metal polishing compound help bring my trigger weight down? The trigger on my Pro 9 is currently sitting at 5.5# consistently using a Lyman Digital & RCBS analog scale.

Thanks

In my M&P 9 Pro, I installed the APEX competition kit in stages. Just the sear and sear spring put me at 4.5lbs. Adding the USB & trigger spring brought it down to 3.25lbs. I never installed the striker spring since I was happy at 3.25 and I use CCI primers. Each of my measurements were after 200 rds or so.

The sear, sear spring and USB might get you the 4lbs you are looking for.

You need a good holster, some ammo, at least three magazines w/mag holders and an entry fee for some type of match. Anything else is negotiable.

This is exactly right. You don't need to do anything to it other than practice, practice and practice. Group it so that you know where it hits at different distances. The only exception to this advice is if you want to shoot in NRA Action Pistol - or Bianchi. I just tried my M&P Pro in a local match and it was really tough to make a good score with it out of the box. You can compete at a very high level with it out of the box in USPSA, IDPA or 3 Gun.

You will want to tune it up as you go but you'll know when that is.

If you DON"T want it under 4#, go to Dan Burwell's site. He has a video on what to do. :cheers:

That's the thing ....

I've been performing 'Burwell Type' trigger jobs on my standard M&Ps for several years with the standard parts.

However, with the Pro it's a different animal. The Pro comes with a Performance Center Sear, and I haven't taken it out yet to figure out how it works. :) I definitely don't want to mess with the factory Pro sear until I know what I'm doing. Right?

Where are you finding Dan's video? I looked and can't find it.

Edited by roostershooter

Not sure how far west you are in KY, but there is a uspsa match near Bowling Green tomorrow. You should bring it out and shoot what ya got, assuming you have a holster and mag pouches anyway. Rockcastle shooting center is the host.

If you DON"T want it under 4#, go to Dan Burwell's site. He has a video on what to do. :cheers:

That's the thing ....

I've been performing 'Burwell Type' trigger jobs on my standard M&Ps for several years with the standard parts.

However, with the Pro it's a different animal. The Pro comes with a Performance Center Sear, and I haven't taken it out yet to figure out how it works. :) I definitely don't want to mess with the factory Pro sear until I know what I'm doing. Right?

If you've "been performing 'Burwell Type" trigger jobs" you already should know how it works.

My latest M&P Pro, and my 5th M&P, had the a terrible trigger. I can't believe they are still releasing them with such a gritty feel and calling it their "Pro". Apex comp sear and RAM made it all better.

Not sure how far west you are in KY, but there is a uspsa match near Bowling Green tomorrow. You should bring it out and shoot what ya got, assuming you have a holster and mag pouches anyway. Rockcastle shooting center is the host.

Yeah, I'm only about 45 minutes from Bowling Green.

I wish I had known sooner about the match! I'd love to get my feet wet, but I have to mess with machinery tomorrow. Not a lot of fun. <_<

That's the thing ....

If you've "been performing 'Burwell Type" trigger jobs" you already should know how it works.

My latest M&P Pro, and my 5th M&P, had the a terrible trigger. I can't believe they are still releasing them with such a gritty feel and calling it their "Pro". Apex comp sear and RAM made it all better.

I might experiment with polishing the trigger bar and contact points, and then taking the 'hump' out of the FPB to see if that helps at all. I really don't want to mess with the sear yet, I'll keep you updated.

I couldn't get anyone at Smith to answer my questions. One guy said it was the APEX sear installed, and another said it WAS NOT an Apex sear, but rather a Performance Center sear.

Does anyone have a close-up of their known APEX sear? I'm particularly interested in the engagement area on the front, and the rear of the sear that comes in contact with the Sear Housing Assembly.

Edited by roostershooter

I like the apex aek but it sound like that might be too light for you. The apex duty kit does the same thing as the aek but the trigger would be at 5-5.5lb. I bought a used M&P pro fron a uspsa pro and he had done zero trigger work to it. Dans videos are great if you want to do it yourself.

I like the Warren tactical front and rear sights much better than the stock sights.(red fiber) I love the Ready tactical holster and mag holders.(offset) Good luck with the gun.

I couldn't get anyone at Smith to answer my questions. One guy said it was the APEX sear installed, and another said it WAS NOT an Apex sear, but rather a Performance Center sear.

Does anyone have a close-up of their known APEX sear? I'm particularly interested in the engagement area on the front, and the rear of the sear that comes in contact with the Sear Housing Assembly.

I can confirm the sear in the pro is not the Apex sear. When I changed mine they looked a bit different and my pull weights before and after confirmed it (although part of that was the sear spring). The Apex sear and sear spring alone put my trigger at 4.5lbs.

Edited by L3324temp

As long as you aren't shooting Production, try the FSS. Pull will still be in the 4.5 range but I think you can change it either direction with springs if you wish. I've got 2, one's at 3.5, the other at 4.5. Really close to my Burwell trigger.

Given that this gun is fairly new I might just put another 600 to 700 rounds through it to see if the trigger smooths out before doing anything to it. It could be that I like it just the way it is after a good break in period.

After 1000+ rds, my pull weight came down to 5.25lbs on the pro with the factory parts but it didn't really smooth out much. The Apex USB is what provided the smoothness. It is possible to modify your striker block as shown in the link above at no cost.

You need a good holster, some ammo, at least three magazines w/mag holders and an entry fee for some type of match. Anything else is negotiable.

Might want to throw in a spare M&P! roflol.gif

Couldn't help it since mine never worked.

But the Pro is competition ready right? Like J said, figure out what you want to shoot, get what you need and go shoot.