Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds in an hour?

Who Knew

I'm a newby to the 2011 style guns. I bought a used STI Tactical 5.0 a couple months back and have only had a few opportunites to try it out. So far I'm very pleased. My question is how many rounds can I fire in a hour or two without damaging the gun? I have read of people going and shooting 900 rounds a day but is that in a couple of hours or over several hours? Last time I took my new gun out I shot about 200 rounds in 45 minutes and the slide and barrel were HOT. So I guess my question is how many rounds/hr is to many? or am I just being a worry wart?

I not only can't afford to shoot 900 RDs a day, but wouldn't want to. 200 RDs in 45 minutes will cause a gun to heat up. The heat from an exploding shell has to go somewhere. How hot depends on what ammo you're shooting and how fast. It can easily get hot enough to burn your hand if you grasp the barrel. An older, worn gun may have some issues if they get too hot. A modern gun in good condition will be fine.

Way more than I can afford in a the time I have available. I put 200 rounds through an M 16 once as fast as it would run. I then replaced the bolt Harrell and gas system. Glut then against wasn't a para ordnance M16. :)

But seriously. I have gone through a hundred rounds per hour for 8 hours In training with no I'll effects. Just let the gun rest when you do.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think I would burn it up, but when I go to the range I like to shoot rather quick. I know this may not be the most effective way to practice but I can only get the range about once a month for now. I found the other half of the video and that was just crazy.

Shoot a major match in a day and you will shoot 300 -400 but over a 6-8 HR period. Shooting 200 rounds with out a break in between magazine changes will probably do more damage to the barrel hamber/throat.

I'm a newby to the 2011 style guns. I bought a used STI Tactical 5.0 a couple months back and have only had a few opportunites to try it out. So far I'm very pleased. My question is how many rounds can I fire in a hour or two without damaging the gun? I have read of people going and shooting 900 rounds a day but is that in a couple of hours or over several hours? Last time I took my new gun out I shot about 200 rounds in 45 minutes and the slide and barrel were HOT. So I guess my question is how many rounds/hr is to many? or am I just being a worry wart?

You are being a worry wart.

I've shot 100 rounds in 15 mins before shooting at steel. I have more than once ran my Edge to the point where I couldn't touch the SLIDE without being burnt. No biggy.

Mike.

I routinely shoot a large number of rounds in a short timeframe, because of a currently very difficult shooting schedule. This spring I was shooting a Glock 17, and put 600 rounds through it while knocking down plates, all in one hour. No problems, and I put a couple thousand more through it by April. The other night I shot my STI Edge 380 times in an hour. The gun got hot, but I was still able to shoot a 6" group at 30 yards freestyle, which is as well as I can do right now. No problems at all.

I know that this is in the 1911 forum, but several years ago, a friend suggested that we have a Glock match one Tuesday night (we used to shoot IPSC style matches on Tuesday night at his indoor range). There were at least six of us, with four or five mags apiece. After the match, he brought out a Glock 18 that he had just aquired. We set up some paper, loaded all of our mags up and started running it to slide stop and then handing the empty pistol off to the next person. We did this for at least five minutes, so I know that there was a minimum of 500 rounds run through the gun in five minutes. The reason that we stopped was the polymer frame was drooping under the slide, and the slide was way too hot to touch. He put the gun in the case and it cooled off slowly, the frame returned to it's normal state. A couple of weeks later, he ran the gun until it got hot enough to droop the frame again, when it cooled off, it returned to it's normal state. I don't know what all of the heat did to the accuracy of this gun, but it didn't effect the function of it.

Hurley

Powder selection plays an important part. Shoot 20 rounds with titegroup and the same with n320. Night and day difference in heat build up.

I always take two of the same/similar pistols out when practicing. Shoot one, reload, shoot the other, pick up brass, etc.

I don't have objective proof but I think the slide to frame fit and bbl lock up stay tighter much longer this way.

I shoot 2-300 rounds in an hour or two on a weekly basis. Keep it well lubed and you're fine. I've gone through 80 rounds (4 mags) as fast as I could reload and pull the trigger with no problems, but it was HOT! That was within the first 1000 rounds through the gun. I'm over 6k through it now and it's still a tackdriver. STI Edge