Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frontier Match bullets: who uses them?

NicVerAZ

I am very satisfied with the 9mm 124gr RN I bought from a local importer on Saturday. For less than $80 a box of 1,000, I was not expecting much, something on par with Berry's, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

I've tried several recipes and ended up with 4.0gr HP38, mixed brass, WSP and OAL of 1.165"

At 20 yards, two hands grip, taking my time, I got groups of 3" with my GP6, which is par with WWB.

I am only a class D and have to budget my hobby, I think these will do for the moment for competition.

I keep Berry's for close firing drills, but if I can get these bullets at this price consistently, they are likely to be all I will use until I can afford some MGs, or they make sense for me to use.

I wanted to check if this brand was common in competition? Not sure if that is what Grauffer uses in competition, but he endorses them. I read somewhere here that these were his practice bullets.

Thanks for the comments.

Saw their ad in Front Sight and thought they would be a good alternative for me to shoot my production gun.

I have a bunch of lead bullets but don't want to use them as the lube would probably gum up my bullet feeder and dies.

Who is your distributor? Gotta find out if they are willing to send by USPS flat rate.

80.00 / 1000= .8 each right?

MG = .8 each for 115 JHP and .9 for 124g

I just checked and they are $124 a box.

Unless you have a great source which sells them for $80 shipping included and with no quantity discount?

Who sells them @ 80/K ? Is that shipped?

Precision Delta is 86/k, free shipping for 2k.

Montana gold is also 86/k shipped when you buy a case.

Possibly but I don't have the budget for that. One box a month is what I currently can afford :)

X-Treme are $82 for 1000 124s shipped from X-Treme direct or, if you prefer to order online, from Freedom Munitions (RN or FP).

Don't have any experience with them, but I plan to use their 147s for 9mm Minor in Production. I liked the Berry's 180gr .40 bullets in Limited and didn't have any issues. I figure a little more plating can't hurt.

I shot lots of frontier bullets when I could get them for $35 per k. Now they are so close to Montana gold that I will not buy them anymore (unless I find a really good deal). There is nothing wrong with them they are a plated bullet just like Berrys, Rainier, or Speer. If you are looking for a good economical bullet I would tell you to buy Bayou bullets. They are more accurate then the frontiers were for me, they are cheaper, and it takes less powder to make power factor. I always thought the plated bullets could be great but the companies that make them tend to put price far ahead of quality (should be sized like lead .001 over bore size) and they are so close in price to good jacketed bullets that I’m amazed they are still in business.

Who sells them @ 80/K ? Is that shipped?

Precision Delta is 86/k, free shipping for 2k.

Montana gold is also 86/k shipped when you buy a case.

Possibly but I don't have the budget for that. One box a month is what I currently can afford :)

Hmmm... 1case = more than one box a month in quantity for the same amount of month for a better bullet. $8 a day over 30 days, $4 over 60 or $2 over 90 a day less of Starbucks, a pack, a beer, lunch, anyone can afford the difference. If not maybe really should;t be shooting in the first place. OK sorry won't go there. Why not just wait 3 months and buy a case? You'll have a better bullet at the same price. It always amazes me folks buy more expensive plated or moly bullets for the same price as MG, or more, just because they don't want to buy a case..... or give up anything, and they shoot the same amount in 90 days anyway.

Now, regarding the topic... who uses Frontier and what is your opinion?

Over priced for lower quality.... why buy them.

"I am only a class D and have to budget my hobby, I think these will do for the moment for competition."

Then you say you use WWB? At my case price of WWB of $200.00/case = .20 / round.

I use VV N320 under MG with Fed Primers and the total cost is .13 cents per bullet including haz mat and shipping.

Edited by Trident

Thanks... :)

Now, regarding the topic... who uses Frontier and what is your opinion?

:)

:roflol:

Back when I was still shooing an SP-01, I got some 124 (125?) from a guy there at Mesa, and they were just as good as any factory round I shot and, in my hands, about as good as some rounds I got from Angus. I never shot them from a rest or anything, but I didn't notice any gross change in accuracy or tumbling or anything. I am not new to loading plated bullets since that's what I use in my open gun. The frontier are fine as far as I am concerned.

Later,

Chuck

I have some 115 gr. Frontiers, but they are not the match bullet. I have not had a lot of time to work with them, but I think accuracy is going to be better that WW whitebox. The bullets look good, and very little weight variation from bullet to bullet. Still looking for a load with good accuracy. May try VVN320 and see what that does. As with most things, the price has gone up quite a bit.

Then you say you use WWB? At my case price of WWB of $200.00/case = .20 / round.

I do not shoot WWBs. I have shot them. Who has not? Just a good benchmark that everyone knows.

The thing is: 3" 2 hands, no rest, at 60' is not bad with just the sights, 10 rounds at a time, with a production / SSP gun. I am pretty sure that improvements can be made with the shooter rather than the ammo. I am ready to experiment with different powders, loads and OALs (although 1.165 is a good start for RN), and I have yet to chronograph, but right now I have something which is very satisfactory. This is a hobby, I have other things to do :)

Bottomline is: this is satisfactory to me, considering it's bought locally, is not overly expensive either.

As for the $85 a box for Montana Gold, again, where do you see this? I checked several times and the price of the box, bought in cases, is still over $110. Unless you are in a group buy (I have tried to be in one but it is harder than it sounds) and buy an insane amount, like a pallet, you will never get that price.

I have tried to do business with Precision Delta but they had a wait list of about a month. As for Bayou: everyone seems to say he has a very very long wait list (and I expect him to raise his price).

When it comes to immediate availability, Berry's has it, but I have tried different recipes, I can't seem to get something accurate beyond 10 yards. Shooting racks with them is very very frustrating. And when I hung a target at 20 yards: nothing but flyers. Maybe it's the shooter :) But I get good groups with commercial loads.

For the moment, Frontier Match is my favorite until I can get a cheaper batch of MGs or decide to spend $120. And then: what if I get the same result?

Edited by NicVerAZ

As for the $85 a box for Montana Gold, again, where do you see this? I checked several times and the price of the box, bought in cases, is still over $110.

When it comes to immediate availability, Berry's has it, but I have tried different recipes, I can't seem to get something accurate beyond 10 yards. Shooting racks with them is very very frustrating. And when I hung a target at 20 yards: nothing but flyers. Maybe it's the shooter :) But I get good groups with commercial loads.

On MG website:

115g $327.00 / 4000 = .08 ea or $80.00/1000 SHIPPED

124g JHP $325.00 / 3750 = .09 ea or $90.00 / 1000 SHIPPED

FWIW, I just tested 20 Berries 124g HBRN and 147g over 4.0 & 3.8 W231. At 15 yards freestyle the first two rounds hit dead center with touching holes, all 20 within 3" groups at 25 yards with production MP 9 pro and Sig 226.

I would just use what you like. At under 25yds they all will hit the A zone if I do.

Edited by Trident

As for the $85 a box for Montana Gold, again, where do you see this? I checked several times and the price of the box, bought in cases, is still over $110.

On MG website:

$327.00 / 4000 = .08 ea or $80.00/1000 SHIPPED

$325.00 / 3750 = .09 ea or $90.00 / 1000 SHIPPED

FWIW, I just tested 20 Berries 124g HBRN and 147g over 4.0 & 3.8 W231. At 15 yards freestyle the first two rounds hit dead center with touching holes, all 20 within 3" groups at 25 yards with production MP 9 pro and Sig 226.

I would just use what you like. At under 25yds they all will hit the A zone if I do.

What OAL for the Berries? I have tested 124g HP, 4.0 HP38 (same powder as you), OAL 1.075 and then 1.085 (1.06l, mfg recommendation, was way too hot, FTF, oily, etc...) They do make nice round holes in the paper, that's the only thing I like about them. The hollow point on the Berries is not very subtle. You shooting RNs probably makes a difference.

My bad about the price per crates, I thought a crate = 3,000 units.

Edited by NicVerAZ

On MG website:

$327.00 / 4000 = .08 ea or $80.00/1000 SHIPPED

$325.00 / 3750 = .09 ea or $90.00 / 1000 SHIPPED

post-38765-0-43539700-1340123622_thumb.p

What OAL for the Berries? I have tested 124g HP, 4.0 HP38 (same powder as you), OAL 1.075 and then 1.085 (1.06l, mfg recommendation, was way too hot, FTF, oily, etc...) They do make nice round holes in the paper, that's the only thing I like about them. The hollow point on the Berries is not very subtle. You shooting RNs probably makes a difference.

My bad about the price per crates, I thought a crate = 3,000 units.

I loaded these 124g HGRN and 147g RN's for both the Sig and MP at 1.145. However, my Sig has a max chamber length for MG CMJ of 1.220 and a MG JHP of 1.173 where as the MP 5" has a max chamber length for a MG CMJ of 1.198 and 1.153 for a MG JHP or a difference between the two bullets styles of .045. Both the MP and Sig mags will go 1.180.MG

If your using HP vs. RN you may want to check your free bore length and see if it may have something to do with your accuracy.

Edited by Trident

If your using HP vs. RN you may want to check your free bore length and see if it may have something to do with your accuracy.

That's where I need some explanation.

I could give you diagrams and all but Look here this will explain how I do it. In this example it is using a setback or freebore of .015 but I have seen .005 -.020 used the tighter with rifle loads.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.msg189131#msg189131

Gotcha. Yes, I have done that. Some say to substract .015" to the result. It is true that with the HP Berry I got 1.145, meaning that 1.13 would be it, but that is a far cry from the 1.06 the mfg advises (which did not cycle well in the GP).

I use 1.165" for RN as 1.169" is the standard, but WWBs come at 1.165" and cycle fine.

I am going to contact GP directly and see what they advise. I should take this to the GP6 thread.

Thanks for the help!

. . . Now they are so close to Montana gold that I will not buy them anymore (unless I find a really good deal). There is nothing wrong with them they are a plated bullet just like Berrys, Rainier, or Speer. . .

Yes and no. Frontier makes TWO types of plated bullets.

One type uses a SWAGED LEAD core - and is (as you point out) just like Berrys, ranier, extreme (former West Coast) and similar to the thick-electroplated Speer bullet (including the Gold Dot - an excellent plated bullet).

But Frontier is also the only company I've run accross that makes a true plated CAST core bullet. You can see the remnant of the sprue cut right on the base of these, and they are marked so on the box. I had excellent results with these. The cores are actually hardcast lead. I know about the old National copper-washed bullets- but the Frontiers were nothing like that. All Frontiers have a thick electroplating.

I agree with the others that the price-point does not give much incentive to use plated over jacketed. YMMV.