Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first DQ today

BobS761

Details please.

Really, just poor stage planning on my part. Did I mention I'm new? I found myself in a "hole", and needed to retreat a little. Broke 180. Now I didn't break 180 in relation to ME, but in fairness, there are other people behind the firing line. Probably would have been ok if I wasn't changing mags. But I learned something and now I'm also classified as Master at target pasting! Especially since I DQ'd on the first stage!

No big deal, there are more matches and I'll know better at the next one.

B

The "hole" was a corridor leading down range at about 45 degrees. So, facing the down range side wall, I broke 180 changing the mag. Clear as mud?

Edited by BobS761

It is great that you learned something by this, but I must echo the fact that breaking the 180 is a big deal. As you noted it is the others behind the line that take that gulp of air when it happens. Your right there are other matches and you learned something but please please don't take it so lightly as to say no big deal. You will be a better shooter for it. Way to hang in and help btw Kudos to you. I have seen shooters get upset pout and storm off. :cheers:

Great attitude Bob, but I must say, it IS a big deal.

JZ

I'm referring to a personal level. It wasn't like it ruined my day or killed my spirit. No need for me to get mad, sulk, or storm off. learn and don't do it again!

B

I had an AD with my AR in a match in Texas because of a mechanical failure. Not disputing I was wrong because the round went over the berm. A primer came out of a spent round and screwed up the trigger mechanism. I was disappointed and didn't take it personally. I packed my stuff and went home. Breaking the 180, in my opinion, is the cardinal sin of DQs. I believe you should drive the gun, not let the gun drive you. Be aware of the 180. I understand when the buzzer goes off, the mind goes dead, but it should still remember to be safe.

Breaking the 180, in my opinion, is the cardinal sin of DQs.

I belive sweeping yourself is worse.

if your stage is set properly a shot past the 180 should still impact the side berm.

not advocating just saying imo

juan, sweeping yourself is the worst, but a lot of sweeps occur while holstering, opening doors, ports or during reloads. I have seen a lot of shooters using the weak hand to help holster their pistol, resulting in a sweeep. The buzzer, afer the make ready command, shuts the mind down. Breaking the 180 is not keeping focussed on where you are.

juan, sweeping yourself is the worst, but a lot of sweeps occur while holstering, opening doors, ports or during reloads. I have seen a lot of shooters using the weak hand to help holster their pistol, resulting in a sweeep. The buzzer, afer the make ready command, shuts the mind down. Breaking the 180 is not keeping focussed on where you are.

I agree none are good and thats why we enforce them they are for everybody safty

Reload huh? Facing to the left side of the stage you turned the gun left to reload (If you're right handed.) I've seen that reload scenario break 180 before. And the peanut gallery ducked and gasped...I'm glad no one was hurt and you've learned an important aspect of reload strategy.

if your stage is set properly a shot past the 180 should still impact the side berm.

I'm saying that breaking the 180 still leaves you at least 179.99 degrees of where that bullet can go. It is a bad thing to think that just because the bullet would have impacted the side berm, it isn't terribly bad. Breaking the 180 is breaking the 180, whether it be by .1 degree, or by 90 degrees.

I'm saying that breaking the 180 still leaves you at least 179.99 degrees of where that bullet can go. It is a bad thing to think that just because the bullet would have impacted the side berm, it isn't terribly bad. Breaking the 180 is breaking the 180, whether it be by .1 degree, or by 90 degrees.

grumpy one I agree 100% with you. just trying to say the ones that make my heart skip a beat are the sweeping youself while opening a port,

more so than a shot at 180.1 either way your done for the day and I enforce them equaly, ritefully so.

grumpy one I agree 100% with you. just trying to say the ones that make my heart skip a beat are the sweeping youself while opening a port,

more so than a shot at 180.1 either way your done for the day and I enforce them equaly, ritefully so.

I agree, both are bad..... But if I had my choices, I'd much rather shoot myself, than shoot someone else. Think about where you might shoot yourself....hand, arm, leg....nearly all are completely survivable.....break the 180 badly enough, bullet goes into the peanut gallery, where are they gonna be hit? To me, the 180 is the top safety infraction. Don't misunderstand, any DQ offense is not to be taken lightly, but many are for the competitor's safety, this one is strictly for the viewers safety....

I agree, both are bad..... But if I had my choices, I'd much rather shoot myself, than shoot someone else. Think about where you might shoot yourself....hand, arm, leg....nearly all are completely survivable.....break the 180 badly enough, bullet goes into the peanut gallery, where are they gonna be hit? To me, the 180 is the top safety infraction. Don't misunderstand, any DQ offense is not to be taken lightly, but many are for the competitor's safety, this one is strictly for the viewers safety....

I would love to talk some more with you,if this things still alive when I get back. but Im off to a steel match. have a good day gentlemen.

+1 on Grumpy. Safety is Safety and all are to be taken seriously. I have seen way too many 180 violations at matches over the last several yrs that are not about 180.1 or not. These were full out looking down the muzzle from behind the line. When it comes to the 180 rule it is and should be I definately saw what I saw, not I think he (she) broke the 180. Either yes or no, not I think so. Our sport needs to be strick on safety since lives are in the balance if we are not.

Just MHO

I'm in agreement that breaking 180 is a BAD thing. Like I said earlier, I was just sharing my personal reaction to a DQ. But, what I'm taking away from this experience, and hope any other readers take away, is to be aware of your stage setup, and potential touble areas. From MY perspective, I was looking down range, directly at targets. Actually I was down range on right side facing 45 degrees to my left. Just a little flip to reach the mag release, and I was done. Compounding the issue, I was wanting to move just a few steps uprange around a wall. The stage setup was great, I put myself into a trouble spot of my own making. Thing is, new shooters need to be aware and instructed that the 180 deg plane is in relation to their position and the firing line and not their position and the target. I'll be aware the next time.

B

Edited by BobS761

1339948906[/url]' post='1726222']

I'm in agreement that breaking 180 is a BAD thing. Like I said earlier, I was just sharing my personal reaction to a DQ. But, what I'm taking away from this experience, and hope any other readers take away, is to be aware of your stage setup, and potential touble areas. From MY perspective, I was looking down range, directly at targets. Actually I was down range on right side facing 45 degrees to my left. Just a little flip to reach the mag release, and I was done. Compounding the issue, I was wanting to move just a few steps uprange around a wall. The stage setup was great, I put myself into a trouble spot of my own making. Thing is, new shooters need to be aware and instructed that the 180 deg plane is in relation to their position and the firing line and not their position and the target. I'll be aware the next time.

B

Bob you took it well. On top of that you manned up and helped out the rest of the day. I think you, your son, and your dad learned a bit yesterday.

1339948906[/url]' post='1726222']

B

Bob you took it well. On top of that you manned up and helped out the rest of the day. I think you, your son, and your dad learned a bit yesterday.

Thanks, Cory. Funny thing, Matt asked later if I would have stayed if he and my dad wasn't shooting. I told him of course I would. Even more important than my mad shooting skills, is being a role model and good sport for the (ahem) little fella.

So, when do I get my classification for the United States Target Pasting Associatiion?

I know, some people don't get my humor!

B

PS I got to shoot the rest of my round practicing today!!!

Edited by BobS761

I had my first DQ two weeks ago, and my second match ever, for the same reason. Stage plan addressed the mag change BEFORE the barrier that ran along the 180* plane and the 3 two targets behind it-I missed the mag change and went to lock. Instict took over and during the mag change my barrel broke the 180 by about 15* :blink: I even have it on video from two cameras. Lesson learned, my gun handling is no where near as good as I thought it would be under pressure.

Bob, situation sucks but major kudos to you for having a class A attitude. Thanks for sharing this, I for one will be much more aware of these types of set ups. The bright side is the example you set for your son, and the character that you showed your father. You done well! :cheers: