Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nose dives in the first 2 rounds

Smitty4313

Hey Gang. Got a problem with the SS 40 I've been working on. I filled up a brand new Wilson 47D mag with 9 rounds of 40 and dropped the slide. I guess this is what everybody calls a "nose dive". The nose of the top round dropped, and rammed right into the feed ramp, and stopped. I cleared that out, and the next round did the same exact thing. Once I was past the top 2 rounds, it fed and ejected everything as fast as I could cycle the slide-perfect. I then did the same drill with the mag that came with the gun. This is a 40 mag of unknown origin, there are no markings on it other than "made in Italy". This mag did exactly the same as the Wilson.

Now then, is there a mod to the mags that I need to do? I have had a bunch of people suggest the 47D as THE mag for the 40's.

Help me Pro's!!

Smitty

What bullet profile and material do you use? Crimp?

Do the rounds in your magazine contact the ejector?

Have you tried this without your extractor in?

Does your slide stop shelf show signs of brass/copper/lead contact?

What is the make of the gun? Is the barrel ramped?

Edited by feederic

Try pushing up on the magazine while tripping the slide stop to make the slide go forward. If this works, then the mag catch is a little low in the gun. I had to go to an elevated JP to get mine to work.

What bullet profile and material do you use? Crimp?

Do the rounds in your magazine contact the ejector?

Have you tried this without your extractor in?

Does your slide stop shelf show signs of brass/copper/lead contact?

What is the make of the gun? Is the barrel ramped?

Bullets are Berry's 180 gr plated fp's

Crimped just enough to not distort the bullets

No ejector contact

Have not removed extractor

Slide stop is brand new as of this afternoon (Extended Wilson Combat), hasn't been shot yet

Gun is Caspian Race-Ready frame, Para Ordnance upper, 5", Ramped

Smitty

Edited by Smitty4313

My oal is set for the mag that came with the gun.

Smitty

Can't load them any longer with this mag. The Wilson mag does the same thing with factory loads. I have since discovered the issue with the mystery mag that came with the gun. There was a burr that was making the follower hang up a bit. I filed it out, works great now.

I hope the Wilson mag can be made to work. Any of you that are shooting the Wilson 47D mags in a 40, do I need to do something to the lips, change out the spring, the follower?

Smitty

Edited by Smitty4313

The original mag that came with the gun is a 40 mag of unknown origin. It works fine now that I got the burr out of the body and the follower moves freely. Downloading the Wilson by 1 round from 9 to 8 is working (thanks Yoshi). The first round going in still feels a little choppy, but it goes. I'll have to run the gun hard to see how it goes under what I call "firing stress", where things happen alot faster. I'm gonna definately try 10mm mags so that I have alot more leeway as far as my loads go. The 40 mag that I have is pretty restrictive where seating depth is concerned.

Smitty

Edited by Smitty4313

I dont have any issue with the 40 mags (10 rd TRIPPS) cant use for SS though. I don't have the same issue with the ETMs or the CMC Power 8s. I am gonna pull the mags apart and try polishing the inside of the tube.

Try 47NX magazines with wolf extra power springs. That should take care of it.

What's the diff between the D's and the NX's?

Smitty

IIRC, the NX are 10mm magazines.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/10mm/products/367/

My SS Infinity runs like a top with factory length and 1.20" ammo with these mags.

Edited by SV-COP

In my limited experience; nose dives are a result of the geometry of the OAL, follower angle and/or the feed ramp. Adjusting one or both usually results in an improvement.

My Infinity guns run well with 1.175-1.2+ OAL. My Nowlin barrel SV pukes with factory length ammo.

If longer is working better, I would suggest it is your feed ramp angle and the round is causing the problem.

I chased a similar issue with my new spartan, and by similar I mean exactly the same. Tried everything I could, then after a few emails to STI I ended up sending it in for work. After feed ramp work ejector tuning and a few other tweaks the thing eats empty cases.

In the end it was the gun, not the mags or ammo.

Edited by OUshooter

I used to have nose dive problem with my 45 with Wilson 10 round mags. I ended up adjusting the feed lip width on each of them and now they work 100%. All it took was widening them just a little bit. Before the adjustment, I measured them and was surprised by how different they were even when they were brand new.