Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Redding Comp Seater problem on 1050

HI all,

I'm a new Super 1050 owner in the process of setting-up the press for .308 Win. I was hoping to use my Redding Comp Seater die (with 'sliding sleeve'), but on the upstroke, as the shell-plate starts to rotate, the bullet hits the sleeve (which has sprung out to its extended position). Has anyone else encountered this?

Before I have the protruding part of the sleeve machined off, does anyone know of an alternative solution (or of any particular problems that would result from losing the bottom 1/2" off the sleeve)?

The bullets are Sierra 2155, so not particularly 'pointy' (like VLDs), but they are seated to 0.020" off the lands, so are longer than SAAMI/factory OAL.

Thanks for any advice!

Not a 1050 user but on the LNL I just hold the bullet up in the die a bit and drop it down onto the case as it comes up into the die. A bit of a pain but it works okay. The 650 is cool to load on just for the shellplate coming straight up.

• 4 months later...

Same here. Exchanged the Redding comp for the Lee collet seater. Then the same thing with the Lee FC. The tip of the bullit (Prvi 145gr fmjbt) hits the sleeve, the whole cartridge tips but eventually makes it to the bin.

Thanks JJ, I'm going to give that a try. We'll see if it works for the Prvi's. I just compared them to Hornady 150gr fmjbt and it appears they are longer from the cannelure to the tip, so that may play a role as well. The Lee Factory Crimp die is still a no-go, but on trimmed cases the RCBS crimp works just as good.

Even if I lose half of the spring function, I would still be able to switch projectiles just by adjusting the die to prerecorded numbers.

Thanks JJ, I'm going to give that a try. We'll see if it works for the Prvi's. I just compared them to Hornady 150gr fmjbt and it appears they are longer from the cannelure to the tip, so that may play a role as well. The Lee Factory Crimp die is still a no-go, but on trimmed cases the RCBS crimp works just as good.

Even if I lose half of the spring function, I would still be able to switch projectiles just by adjusting the die to prerecorded numbers.

Exactly. I value the preset or "dial a bullet" ability... :)

jj

• 10 months later...

All,

Here's how I solved this issue on my old-style 1050 to load .223. Should also work for the .308 on the new 1050.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107754379149384581743/ReloadingPresses#5359435847628322626

Hope this helps,

wsl

I have this same problem with redding competition seater on RL1050

What is the work around?

If you don't mind me asking why are you using a competition seater on a progressive press? I'm sure you would get a lot better consistency using it on a single stage press such as a Forster. Just my $.02

I load all my bolt gun ammo (other than 50 BMG) on 550s. The quality of ammo coming out of them is as good as the ammo coming out of my old Co-Ax or Arbor press. Now days my Co-Ax is used to point bullets and gather dust.

338 Lapua is about as big as you can load on a 550. Had to cut off the bottom of the sleeve here also.

DSC02772.jpg

DSC03614.jpg

If you don't mind me asking why are you using a competition seater on a progressive press? I'm sure you would get a lot better consistency using it on a single stage press such as a Forster. Just my $.02

I use a Redding comp seater because it makes very straight rounds, and the micrometer adjustment is very convenient. I use a progressive because I don't have 2 days a week to spend loading anymore - now I can make 200 rounds in the time I used to make 50 (still with precisely weighed charges though). My ammo is just as good as I used to make on a single stage - at least I've yet to find a measurable parameter that's worse or to see any worse results on target. But, I'm "only" a sling shooter, so I'm quite content with ½" groups at 300 yards or ½ minute at 1000.