Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worst jam I've ever had.

Griz

Primer in the carrier key pretty much stops an M16 in it's tracks...

55gr Wolf, the spent brass looks fine except the primer fell out.

The gas tube got bent somewhere along the way. I had to pull it anyway to get the gun unjammed. With a RDIAS, there is no way to get the upper off if the bolt won't close.

I had never seen or heard of this happening before, so I thought I'd share. ;)

post-9553-0-02229800-1339207606_thumb.jp

I have seen that before twice but its rare, both on friends rifles. The first one I had no clue what was wrong with his gun. The second time it happened just a few months back and I knew exactly how to help him. (different buddy) Both times the primers were stuck way back so you could not see them in there.

Pat

I had no idea a primer even fit in there... But like it was mentioned, it has to go somewhere. You mentioned having to pull (and either replace or straighten) the gas tube, for obvious reasons, but could you get the primer out of the carrier key? I imagine it's in there pretty good.

Jeremy

Along those same lines, at the 2010 MS 3gun, I had a pistol malfunction that was equaly rare. It didn't go into battery, I racked the slide and the round came out, turned around and went primer first back into the chamber(I saw it, but still don't understand it). It wouldn't come back out without help. It was on a stage being filmed by Photomotion Photography. There are several still shots of me with a puzzled look on my face trying to shake the round out and then with my Emerson trying to dig it out. It was a 45acp Montana Gold HP, so I thought I could hook the knife point into the bullet and pull/pry it out, didn't work. RO and I had to go to a berm, take a cleaning rod with a spent 223 case over the end of it (something big enough not to allow the rod to detonate the primer) and bump it out.

Hurley

I had no idea a primer even fit in there... But like it was mentioned, it has to go somewhere. You mentioned having to pull (and either replace or straighten) the gas tube, for obvious reasons, but could you get the primer out of the carrier key? I imagine it's in there pretty good.

Jeremy

I couldn't budge it with needlenose pliers. I was about to drill it, but decided that since the lip of the carrier key was boogered up a little where the bent gas tube hit it I'd just replace the key and keep the old one for a conversation piece. I also found out that I did a really good job staking the original carrier key :D

Over pressure round blows the primer and in a case of bad luck it ends up in the carrier key. It has to go somewhere. Some times its down into the trigger area and it can gum things up there too.

Pat

I have a hard time believing that it was an over pressure issue with Wolf ammo. Usually Wolf is pretty weak, but, even the biggest ammo manufacturers have an occasional bad round. :surprise:

Over pressure round blows the primer and in a case of bad luck it ends up in the carrier key. It has to go somewhere. Some times its down into the trigger area and it can gum things up there too.

Pat

I have a hard time believing that it was an over pressure issue with Wolf ammo. Usually Wolf is pretty weak, but, even the biggest ammo manufacturers have an occasional bad round. :surprise:

With Wolf nothing would surprize me.

Pat

wow.

I'm guessing that isn't something you fix while on the clock.

Never even imagined or considered a malfunction like that.

On the clock you work the gun like a bolt action. Its about the only situation where I could see a real advantage to JP's forward mounted charging handle.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I was not inverted :unsure:

I think it was not overpressure, as said, Wolf is pretty weak to begin with and it didn't sound any different, the gun just stopped. Although who knows what counts as "over pressure" in steel cased ammo. It could have just been a case with a loose primer pocket. Who knows. :eatdrink: <- Vodka shots

There was no option of working it like a bolt gun. Since the gas tube could not enter the carrier key, the bolt wasn't even close to being able to close.