Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which CZ for USPSA and IDPA

Ishoot1st

I have been shooting in USPSA and IDPA for about 3 months and I have been using a Glock 34 in USPSA Production and IDPA SSP and a Glock 35 in USPSA Limited. Both guns have Dawson sights on them but other than that they are both stock. I have been reading a lot about CZs and I am seriously considering purchasing one in 9mm that I can use in both USPSA and IDPA.

I have looked at the CZ75 SP01 Shadow, CZ75 SP01 Shadow T, CZ75 SP01 Tactical and the CZ85 Combat. The prices are significantly different between the models and I am having a hard time identifying the major differences and which one would best suit my needs. I am also trying to determine if I should spend the extra money for a CZ Custom Shop Shadow taking into consideration my current level of experience.

I have not seen a CZ at any of the gun clubs I’ve attended and I have not seen one at any of the gun shops in my area. I have yet to see one in person so I have never picked one up to even determine if I like the way they feel.

Any advice, as to which one I should consider? Is a CZ that much more of a superior a gun for USPSA and IDPA or should I just stick with the Glocks for a while?

The shadows have no firing pin block, which means less trigger movement required (only really an issue in single-action).

The sp01's require some shenanigans to get the weight to idpa specs. I think someone at IDPA is angry with cz about something. I haven't figured out why weight is a big deal when glocks and m&p's seem to dominate the results, but whatever, that's a pissing match that predates me by a long time.

What I like about cz's is they fit my hand like a glove, and they are made of metal, so they have a soul, unlike plastic guns which condemn to eternal hell. That may or may not be important to you.

I advise you to focus on shooting, worry less about equipment, and see if you can hook up with someone that has a cz to try to see if you like it. A good shooter with a crappy soul-less glock will beat a mediocre shooter with an awesome beautiful cz every day of every week on every course of fire, but it's all about fun, so if you find it more inspiring and enjoyable to shoot a proper gun, then get one and practice a lot.

:cheers:

I bought a SP-01 Shadow from the CZ Custom shop (the $1200 one) and couldn't be happier with it. I, too, hadn't ever held one, but from everything I had read on them, I decided to take a chance. If you're at all worried, I'd try to find someone at a local club with one that you could at least handle.

That being said, the 75 Shadow seems like a good all around pistol that would work well in IDPA and USPSA. They were just coming out when I got mine, but something about the SP01 just drew me in. If I ever get serious into IDPA, I'll just have to go to the right division, hope that someone gets rid of the weight restriction for the SP01 or maybe better yet just buy a 75 Shadow. :)

If I were getting one CZ for both IDPA and USPSA I would get the Shadow version, or whatever the regular dustcover version is called. Weight is an issue for the SP-01 and any other pistol that goes over the max weight limit. Given its intended mission IDPA felt it necessary to have a maximum weight limit. Arbitrary as it may be, they had to draw the line somewhere.

On the other hand, your Glocks are perfectly adequate for both games. An AR15 would be great for carbine matches...

Get a 75 Shadow Custom DA/SA for IDPA SSP and you can use it anywhere. I started with a 75B DA/SA and have converted it to a SAO ESP gun. Excellent, love the weight and the fit, but I have long fingers and large hands and am too slow to benefit much from a light polymer gun.

Joe

Motosapien, I think you nailed it…I enjoy shooting the Glocks and they are good guns but there is nothing like owning and shooting a nice classy metal gun. The CZs do seem to have their own personality and soul. I will continue to shoot and own at least one of the Glocks but I will own a CZ in the near future. (Anyone in the market for a Glock Gen4 34 or 35?)

Honestly, I wasn’t aware that there was a CZ75 Shadow and a CZ75 SP01 Shadow. After reading everyone’s input I think I'm leaning towards the CZ75 Shadow or Shadow Custom.

Go with th Cz 75 shadow in sa/DA , you can shoot ssp/ESP in IDPA and production in uspsa. The same reason I got one. If you do get one I would go with CZC an have Stuart do a trigger job, he is a stand up guy and will go out of his way to help you. JP

75 Shadow, done.

I've been running a Glock again for the last few months, and while the clock doesn't show a huge difference, the targets sure do. It's more me, and less the gun for sure, but a super sweet and crisp trigger in a heavier gun that feels better in one's hands seems to have a way of making average into good, and sometimes good into great. ;) Plus, I kind of miss the ability to put a round through a paster at 15yrds or so; for me: forgiving = accurate.

Being "impulsive" (stupid), I got rid of my 75 Shadow a while back and have been kicking myself ever since. The fact that it's next to impossible to find a used one, let alone even get a hold of a new one sometimes, should tell you something... I've been waiting to hopefully score one used for a while now, and thus far, all that has happened is my beard has gotten more grey and the line has been getting longer for the new ones. Their trigger's are pretty much better than most anything out there right out of the box, you can make them even a hair slicker by touching their sears and sides of the hammers with a fresh sheet of 600 grit. If you still want even more of a good thing, then it's time to find Stuart... beyond that, if you're still not happy, it's time to take up Golf. ;)

I've decided to pick up a new one by August if a used one doesn't show up on the radar, that said, if you get one and somehow aren't happy with it, PM me, I know of a good home. :)

Edited by ck1

ck1...being that I have only been at this for a few months, I am going to work on getting better at the game with the Glocks until I can see and handle a Shadow in real life. Then I will probably try to hook up with Stuart. If I come across one for sale in the mean time I will probably jump on it. That is if you don't get to it first.

^^^ Good plan IMO, as you'll hear a lot around here: it really is the Indian and not the arrow, a ubiquitous, hum-drum Glock can take you far in these sports....

For me it just becomes a question of finding one's preferred tool for the job that allows one to get the most enjoyment out of it... In 9mm caliber, it's just my opinion that the Shadows are the finest bullet launchers out there (and this is after finding out the expensive/hard way a few times going the souped-up 9mm 1911 route, which tips the scale more towards shooting IDPA ESP as 9mm in USPSA SSTK puts you at a disadvantage from the start). It's been my experience that the CZ's tend to run like they think they're Glocks, while most 9mm 1911's seem to think they're Remington 870's...

I started shooting IDPA with my HK usp. I would place at the bottom of the top half all the time. I came across this sight or maybe a video of Angus shooting his CZ. So I bought the CZ 75 shadow target. So after shooting it a week, i was back at shooting the local matches, Fun gun, IDPA, Defensive pistol. I consistently place in the top 7 spots now. is it all the gun? Maybe, I took a skill builder course when i got the shadow was my first and only pistol I have had. Moral of the story, I sold all my HKs (3) SA XDM to get another CZ... The guns are great, they shoot great....

Aaron

Edited by aaronjhanson

I started shooting IDPA with my HK usp. I would place at the bottom of the top half all the time. I came across this sight or maybe a video of Angus shooting his CZ. So I bought the CZ 75 shadow target. So after shooting it a week, i was back at shooting the local matches, Fun gun, IDPA, Defensive pistol. I consistently place in the top 7 spots now. is it all the gun? Maybe, I took a skill builder course when i got the shadow was my first and only pistol I have had. Moral of the story, I sold all my HKs (3) SA XDM to get another CZ... The guns are great, they shoot great....

Aaron

I believe that my mind is pretty much made up that I am going to go with the Shadow eventually. Your story helps to confirm that I will be making a good choice. I just wish there was one around here that I could get my hands on.

Aaron

You mentioned a Skill builder course...Can you tell me a little more about that?

I just wish there was one around here that I could get my hands on.

Good luck... I've never once seen a Shadow sitting in a case at any LGS, your best bet to find one to handle is probably at a match, or, of you see a TS dry-fire that, the TS will give you an idea of a Shadow's SA pull, then try the best factory Revo's DA pull you spot, they're usually on par with that.

I see many have replyed to your question. But I must add my thoughts. I also bought my CZ 75 Shadow from CZ Custom in AZ. I had them spend a little extra time on the trigger. I started shooting IDPA a year ago. My first gun was a FNP-9. I shot well with it but when I got my Shadow my scores improved by half and just a day at the range shooting I saw a great improvement in my groups. By far for the money you can not buy a better gun. You will not be unhappy with it. BUY THE SHADOW. NOW

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I stumbled across a CZ75 SP-01 Tactical for sale on a local shooters forum. I really wanted to see it and handle it so I contacted the gentleman to see if I could check it out. I told him I was really in the market for a Shadow but I just wanted to handle the gun because I had never seen or held a CZ before. He understood and agreed to meet up with me that evening. The gun was like new and as soon as I picked it up I had to have it even though it wasn’t a Shadow. The price was right and included a Blade-Tech holster so I bought it. I practiced with the gun and I was amazed at how accurate it was and how fast I could get back on target after each shot. The next weekend I took it and shot it at a local IDPA match. (I know it is overweight and I told them that ahead of time and they agreed to let me shoot it in SSP). The gun ran excellent and I was quite happy with how well I did considering that I hadn’t really taken the time to get used to it.

I love the gun but I really don’t care for the night sights, I like starting off with the hammer in half de-cock and the SA trigger is really not bad at all but I couldn’t resist looking at the Custom Shops prices on the internet to install a competition rear sight, front FO sight, custom de-cocker hammer and tune the trigger. After looking at the cost of having the work done plus shipping I compared it to what it would cost to purchase a new SP-01 Shadow. After doing the math it seemed like it would be better just to buy the Shadow rather than investing the money into the Tactical. For the heck of it I decided to try to sell the Tactical just to see if it would sell and if it did I would use the funds to purchase a Shadow. I posted it on the forum yesterday and had it sold within a couple hours.

I called Rob today at CZ Custom and they had the SP-01 Shadows in stock. He said they could ship it today and I would have it in 2 days to my FFL. Made the deal, called my local FFL guy and a new SP-01 Shadow is on its way. Hoping to have it by Saturday and if it shows up on time, it will be replacing the Glock 34 shooting Production at the local USPSA match this Sunday.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I am sure I made the right move.

That's a great ending to your story. You will love the new gun, sounds like you finally got what you wanted. I have been taking two interns to the range a couple of times/wk to shoot my CZ-75B converted to SAO, with sights, etc. It is set up for ESP but usually hosts a Kadet slide. They love that pistol and will not have any trouble switching over to 9mm with it. I have been shooting a SIG P226 stainless steel elite in 9mm in ESP, but may switch over to the CZ only eventually, like if I ever pick up a 75 Custom Shadow T.

Joe

I realize that the SP-01 Shadow cannot be used as is for IDPA/SSP but having shot the SP-01 Tactical I think I really like the added weight. So if I decide to use it for IDPA I will look into the things needed to lighten it up or hope that the new IDPA rules regarding weight will change. For now, I think I am good until the next gun purchase craving hits me. A future Limited gun, CZ 75 TS or Custom Shop CTS maybe?

Well got the gun Friday evening, put 300 rounds through it Saturday and shot in a USPSA match on Sunday. I have to say I could not be happier. It is everything that everyone said it is and more and not a single problem. I placed in the upper half overall and third in Production overall. I have never shot that well with anything. By far the best gun I've ever shot let alone ever owned. If your looking for a new gun to buy, make sure you look hard at a CZ75 SP-01 Shadow. You won't be disappointed.

Well got the gun Friday evening, put 300 rounds through it Saturday and shot in a USPSA match on Sunday. I have to say I could not be happier. It is everything that everyone said it is and more and not a single problem. I placed in the upper half overall and third in Production overall. I have never shot that well with anything. By far the best gun I've ever shot let alone ever owned. If your looking for a new gun to buy, make sure you look hard at a CZ75 SP-01 Shadow. You won't be disappointed.

We told you! Glad it all worked out for you, great results. Congrats on a good match and a fine weekend.

Joe

I have a D class buddy with glock 17 that can't hit plates at Steel pro-am last week. I shot it and could hit some miss some, had a master shooter shoot it to make sure it is zero and it is zeroed. Gave my CZ Sp01 shadow to my buddy and says go hit it. Launched 10 shots in small plate around 15ft. 9 out of 10. he can't believe himself how easy to shoot with CZ SP01 Shadow. So i'm pretty sure you made a good choice yourself.

Cheers,

If your buddy isn't thinking about it already, he needs to get one of his own. I don't think I could ever go back to shooting the Glocks again, there is that much of a difference in how much better I shoot with the Shadow.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...