Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to make the LNL useable

here again not a LNL issue but maybe someone h as an idea.

The brass I am using is for the most part S&B. This cant be avoided as more than 90% of the brass shot here is this brand. Bad thing is that they have the thightest primer hole you can imagine and the nontox version is even thighter. So that I can sometimes not seat a primer at all and like 1 to 2 out of ten are squashed or the primer is not seated deep enough dragging along and preventing the press from indexing properly again causing all kind of problems and also getting the half seated cases out takes lots of time.

Here again I have to use pure force to get the primer in sometimes.

Any idea beside getting a 1050?

Prep pockets like rifle brass. Swage out the pockets. I usually throw away S&B brass.

is there a fast way to do that?

would love to thow the crap away but its not possible. like i said i might toss 1000 to end up with something between 50 and 100 non SB

I sort out all of my S&B brass first before even trying to load them so I don't get my LNL jammed up. I am getting a bix box full of them. Haven't tried to swag out the pockets or anything yet. Please keep us in touch on what you decide to do and how it works out for you.

I sort out all of my S&B brass first before even trying to load them so I don't get my LNL jammed up. I am getting a bix box full of them. Haven't tried to swag out the pockets or anything yet. Please keep us in touch on what you decide to do and how it works out for you.

just read on some austrian forum that supposingly they had a retooling lately and now sb should have normal pockets. hope its not just a rumor but then again no idea how many old ones are still around even if its right

I always toss my s&b brass. I always have trouble with those. You could always purchase some once fired brass.

if I toss it I toss 90%+ of my brass. So not really an option unfortunately

Sell it for scrap metal, then buy some once fired.

Dillon has a tool for it. It works but its about $100. I have tried other methods but none are quick or easy. Good thing is if you do it once you won't have to again on those pieces. It's just like removing the militar crimp.

I have a whole ton of S&B brass. Pockets were tight, and I had to swage them (Dillon makes a tabletop swager and RCBS makes both a press-mounted and tabletop tool) to get them to prime reliably.

More recently, I haven't had problems priming S&B brass on my LNL. I use Winchester primers. I also have a steel washer under the primer punch, which may help.

Good luck - I like using the brass!

Have a batch of S&B-Brass with priming problems on my LNL. The primer pocket is slightly than other brands, but the greater problem is, some primer pockets are out of center. I have crushed some primers, before measuring the pockets. Now I grab every case to feel the contact beetween primer and pocket to avoid crushing primers. This works.

The problem isn't the LNL it is the brass. The Dillon XL650 just crushses the primers easier. I shoot 9 major so I buy once fired brass, run into a lot of crimped primer pockets, and no I'm not checking them. I have learned to feel these before smashing the primer into oblivion, on the LNL, can't feel it on the dillon so they get smashed.

You should be check this brass with a magnet some of it is steel cloaked in a vail of brass wash.

The only "brass" I chunk is GECO. Shot lots of SB at major power factor with no issues.

If you are really at wits end buy a few thousand Starline brass and shoot them till they split (minor only). Shooting at major power factor loosens the primer pocket.

The problem isn't the LNL it is the brass. The Dillon XL650 just crushses the primers easier. I shoot 9 major so I buy once fired brass, run into a lot of crimped primer pockets, and no I'm not checking them. I have learned to feel these before smashing the primer into oblivion, on the LNL, can't feel it on the dillon so they get smashed.

You should be check this brass with a magnet some of it is steel cloaked in a vail of brass wash.

The only "brass" I chunk is GECO. Shot lots of SB at major power factor with no issues.

If you are really at wits end buy a few thousand Starline brass and shoot them till they split (minor only). Shooting at major power factor loosens the primer pocket.

sorting out the s&b nontox solved most of the issues. The other s&b are ok. Geco works great for me by the way.

sorting out the s&b nontox solved most of the issues. The other s&b are ok. Geco works great for me by the way.

All the USA GECO I have encountered had crimped primer pockets.

• 4 months later...

Almost all of my 9mm brass is S&B. I found that I had far fewer problems (about 1 out of 200) when I switched from Federal primers to Winchester. With the Federals I was having a problem at least 2-3 times out of a 100.

FYI -- I reload on an LNL AP with case & bullet feeder.

The only brass plated steel S&B cases I have found were 9 mm.

Some times a little rotating of the case while trying to start the primer helps. Kind of a touch/feel kind of thing to get it right.

It will slow down the loading process in mixed brass like small primer 45 cases will. If I don't have my 1050 load it, I sort it out and load them all at once for lost brass matches.

Almost all of my 9mm brass is S&B. I found that I had far fewer problems (about 1 out of 200) when I switched from Federal primers to Winchester. With the Federals I was having a problem at least 2-3 times out of a 100.

This has been my solution as well.

This has been my solution as well.

Well lets talk LNL, two things cause primer seating issues, 1st - The index, and the index going the primer station, if its not perfect with the shell plate ball locking in the hole, well you got problems. Second in debris in the primer slide cavity and the slide not going all the way forward, and or caca in the punch and it not going all the way down catching the slide. If that is all good then CCI primers work best for me in 9 mm, Win is also good. Federal a little more trouble.

Well lets talk LNL, two things cause primer seating issues, 1st - The index, and the index going the primer station, if its not perfect with the shell plate ball locking in the hole, well you got problems. Second in debris in the primer slide cavity and the slide not going all the way forward, and or caca in the punch and it not going all the way down catching the slide. If that is all good then CCI primers work best for me in 9 mm, Win is also good. Federal a little more trouble.

I had the same problem, had to take the dremel and polish the primer slide and it works flawlessly now. I use both CCI and federal primers and have no issues. Wolf even works good.

• 2 weeks later...