Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensators & shooter perceived loudness...

Jin

...I have has some "Flareups" that was like my brain was sitting on a big speaker cranked up to amplify every sound. some sounds felt like an ice pick to my brain.

The pain and scream is not so much in the ears as its in the brain side.

Get Better Hearing Protection!

Most of the cause of my problem is from tools like saws and grinders. Teaching Sporting clays set it off after a long weekend with a large corporate class.

Also sounds a bit like food allergies. Some are suggesting that food allergies/inflammation is the actual source of ischemic artery disease, not cholesterol, which may be only a substance the body uses to patch the tiny cracks that can develop in an inflamed artery.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

I hate breaks, I've had ringing ears since age 18. So I have been very careful ever since. I plug with 33dB and wear the Pro ears with another 33 dB of protection. A hat and safety glasses will break the seal of the muffs on your head. I tried a Quicksilver Titanium suppressor for a few matches. Running a suppressor has pros and cons.

Pros:

1.) My ears rang less after a match or range session.

2.) Lots of comments and NFA discussions while pasting targets.

3.) RO's will thank you.

Cons:

1.) Timers didn't pickup the shot so I dropped the idea.

2.) Burn and melt carpet in dump barrels. (think about doing a reshoot after a 50 round stage)

3.) Increased bolt velocity, thus recoil. That is despite adjusting my gas block.

4.) Multiple "put him in open" comments.

5.) Nasty dirty mags, ammo, and gun.

6.) 13 oz at the end of the muzzle is a very noticeable change in handling.

7.) Reduces my sight picture for my TR24.

8.) Gas blow back in my face.

9.) CTR upper rail holes for ACOG attachment caused my scope to be eroded by blow back gasses.

I'd like to try a smaller mini suppressor like a 4" long one, but I'll wait to try someone else's before buying and paying the tax. Generally smaller suppressors have more back pressure.

I think breaks should be in the open division only. Do a stage with 20 tube style ports, you'll hate any compensator after that.

Best of luck saving your ears in 3gun.

Edited by teejay

shot a match last weekend, changed out my miculek brake for an A1 flash hider. ears still rang a little after the match, so it must be the other shooters, not my rifle; but i'm still going to run mine without a brake. I did mess up a couple times though...the ear muffs were bothering me, so i took them off while taping up targets, and forgot to put them on with a couple shooters blasting loud ass brakes (was just wearing ear plugs).

i'm wearing peltor triple flanged ear plugs (26 db), and howard leight impact sports (22 db).

I hate breaks, I've had ringing ears since age 18. So I have been very careful ever since. I plug with 33dB and wear the Pro ears with another 33 dB of protection. A hat and safety glasses will break the seal of the muffs on your head. I tried a Quicksilver Titanium suppressor for a few matches. Running a suppressor has pros and cons.

Pros:

1.) My ears rang less after a match or range session.

2.) Lots of comments and NFA discussions while pasting targets.

3.) RO's will thank you.

Cons:

1.) Timers didn't pickup the shot so I dropped the idea.

2.) Burn and melt carpet in dump barrels. (think about doing a reshoot after a 50 round stage)

3.) Increased bolt velocity, thus recoil. That is despite adjusting my gas block.

4.) Multiple "put him in open" comments.

5.) Nasty dirty mags, ammo, and gun.

6.) 13 oz at the end of the muzzle is a very noticeable change in handling.

7.) Reduces my sight picture for my TR24.

8.) Gas blow back in my face.

9.) CTR upper rail holes for ACOG attachment caused my scope to be eroded by blow back gasses.

I'd like to try a smaller mini suppressor like a 4" long one, but I'll wait to try someone else's before buying and paying the tax. Generally smaller suppressors have more back pressure.

I think breaks should be in the open division only. Do a stage with 20 tube style ports, you'll hate any compensator after that.

Best of luck saving your ears in 3gun.

thanks for posting your experience...it has me re-considering going the route of a suppressor.

will also look for some better ear plugs.

Edited by Jin

Just unscrew one, put on another. What other stuff are you talking about?
I can't leave well enough alone. I am putting together a 16" middy upper with a pencil barrel, Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block, Samson evolution 15" handguard I had custom anodized green. There are a few local maches that only shoot 100 yards as well as the Pro Series so I'm gonna mess around with shorter and lighter.

Jesse, I also have ordered a 15" Samson Evolution handguard for my 16" pencil barrel. What style of Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block did you use? The set screw attachment or the clamp on style?

Sounds a lot like the upper I built for my son, except it has the 12.5" rifle Samson Evolution HG.

It currently has a pinned Daniel Defense low profile gas block, but I have been thinking of putting on a Syrac adjustable gas block...

Mick

I can't leave well enough alone. I am putting together a 16" middy upper with a pencil barrel, Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block, Samson evolution 15" handguard I had custom anodized green. There are a few local maches that only shoot 100 yards as well as the Pro Series so I'm gonna mess around with shorter and lighter.

• 3 weeks later...

Alamoshooter, Just a thought......... My ears have been ringing & roaring since around age 12 when my brain dead cousin touched off a 12ga. a couple feet from my right ear, then there was a tour in 1969 firing a 4.2 in. mortar & countless M16 rounds without ear protection, then there have been 35 years of power tools being fired up next to me before I could get my muffs on and years of hunting without ear muffs and those fun days at the range when the proud owner of a .50 BMG super-sniper with a brake that bitch slaps you even with your muffs on ,not to mention 100's of rock concerts!!!!!!!!! But something I have found that really takes the ringing to another level is ASPIRIN ! Luckily that one isn't permanent, but if you ever take some ,and alot of us our age do for alleged heart attack prevention , you will have ringing ears and if you quit the aspirin the roar will fade back to normal after a couple of days.

• 10 months later...

Alamoshooter, Just a thought......... My ears have been ringing & roaring since around age 12 when my brain dead cousin touched off a 12ga. a couple feet from my right ear, then there was a tour in 1969 firing a 4.2 in. mortar & countless M16 rounds without ear protection, then there have been 35 years of power tools being fired up next to me before I could get my muffs on and years of hunting without ear muffs and those fun days at the range when the proud owner of a .50 BMG super-sniper with a brake that bitch slaps you even with your muffs on ,not to mention 100's of rock concerts!!!!!!!!! But something I have found that really takes the ringing to another level is ASPIRIN ! Luckily that one isn't permanent, but if you ever take some ,and alot of us our age do for alleged heart attack prevention , you will have ringing ears and if you quit the aspirin the roar will fade back to normal after a couple of days.

That ringing is actually one of the symptoms of Aspirin toxicity. Just how much aspirin were you taking? Mini dose, or 81 mg every other day should not do this.

Pics when finished. wink.gif I want to see that HG.

I'm surprised that the new Seekins brake has not entered the discussion, for a while it seemed like it was the end all be all of brakes and now I don't see anyone mentioning it.

CM

I'm using the Seekins brake and I've been pretty happy with it. It is still much louder than a flashhider, but certainly not as loud as an SJC or some others i have heard.

Find a company in your area that does these:

http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold.php

They're the injected plugs that form to your ear. Takes about 10 minutes to make, then they apply a compound that seals the plug material.

Best $40 I've ever spend. They're the only thing I wear anymore, and just judging by the ratings of other muffs and how quiet they are, I'd say 30+ dB of noise reduction. Mine have lasted years, I'm getting another set too as spares. Don't interfere with rifle shooting either.

Around here you can usually find a company that does them at game fair shows, gun shows, etc.