Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Narrow shooting glasses

DogmaDog

OK, I have a narrow face, and Oakleys and similar glasses look silly on me, because the ends of the frame stick way out and there's a huge gap between the temples and my head. I've done a search for narrow glasses, but didn't turn up anything.

I have a cheap pair of glasses that measures 127mm, straight line distance, between the two temples where they meet the lenses. They fit well. I'm looking for a nice, expensive pair of glasses that will fit equally well.

I'm leaning hard toward Rudy Project, and tried on a pair of Rydon (way too wide), and Freeon Golf (not quite as wide, but wider than optimum). I'm trying to find out if the Rydon SX glasses actually have a narrower frame, or if it's just the same Rydon frame with smaller lenses inserted into it...does anyone know?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pair of good shooting glasses suitable for a narrow face?

Thanks much,

DogmaDog

dogmadog: the rydon SX is the same size as the regular ones. the inserts make it look smaller.

the Rudy Project Jekyll are smaller frame sizes and have interchangeable polycarbonate lenses. The RP gradient lenses (laser deg clear) are not so dark that it's fine to use in indoor ranges

cristall.gif

j_lenses.gif

Dog

Check out Decot Hy-Wyds. They offer three different frame widths and lense choices too numerous to mention. They are solely in the business of shooting sports and know how to match lenses to conditions second to none. Not to mention as your eyes change they can do very trick things to make your glasses work for you. They actually had an article i the most recent front site mag. I have been using these glasses for 16 yrs and I am still on my first frame. Good luck, Craig

Eye Cutter is right on the money with his recommendation for the Jekyll's. That's what I use mostly (still occasionally put on the Oakley's too). The Jekyll's are STILL TOO BIG for my head, but they are more comfortable than the M Frames.

Thanks guys,

The Jeckyll's do look pretty cool (in black, not clear frames).

Oakley Minutes might work, too.

Anyway, I've been running around to local bike shops when I can to actually try glasses on. Kind of a pain in the butt around here, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend ~$200 without trying the things on.

I appreciate all your suggestions, though...it's really hard to find any info on the net about the dimensions of glasses.

DogmaDog

Smart move on the bicycle shops. I did exactly the same thing before buying my Rydons (good thing, too, as I was going to get the Freeons, and they didn't really fit my fat face).

Good luck!

I just went through the same search. I settled on the Oakley Half Jackets. They are sized for those of us with narrower faces. I was interested in the Rudy Project line but I couldn't find anywhere locally that carried them. To me glasses are like shoes, I won't buy a pair I haven't tried on first. RP just doesn't have the market penetration that Oakley does.

For $140 I bought the XLJ lens varient with smoke grey and yellow lenses. In an emergency I could get parts at most any mall.

lens_comparison_image.jpg

Check the Bolle website. Their performance line of eyewear includes lens and frame measurements that might give you the info you need. The measurements that go across the frames/lenses that you are looking for are twice the lens width ("A") plus the distance between lenses (the bridge of the nose) which Bolle describes as Distance Between Lines"("DBL").

If you need Rx lenses, they have glasses with interchangeable shields with an insert for corrective lenses set behind.

• 11 months later...

I have very narrow face. I tried some Oakley's this morning. They were too wide. However, I went to the Oakley store this afternoon. The women's shades fit me very well. Try the Oakley Teaspoon. FYI, I also wear women's baseball/golf caps.

• 3 years later...
try the sunbusters, the maverick model.

DixiePro

I ordered a set of Ice NARO's from essey two weeks ago. I've shot one sanctioned IDPA match and two indoor matches with them so far. Love 'em. Perfect width for my face, and its pretty narrow.

I primarily use the rose colored lenses outdoors (ordered when I got the full kit of smoke, clear, and amber) unless it's really bright, then I switch to the smoke. Indoors, amber/yellow all the way. :)