Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tumbler media

TRYING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF BRIANS LEAD ON PURCHASING BRASS TUMBLER MEDIA FROM DRILLSPOT. GREAT INFO BRIAN. I AM NOT SURE WHAT SIZE TO ORDER ? 14/20 OR 20/40 ?

I AM RELOADING STRICKLY HANDGUN LOADS IN 9MM, 38 SPCL AND .45 ACP. I HEAR THINGS REGARDING DIFFERENT SIZES TEND TO GET CAUGHT IN PRIMER OPENINGS AND SUCH. WHICH SIZE WOULD BE BEST FOR MY APPLICATIONS ? THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS.

20/40 grit is the finer of the two you mentioned and IMHO is what you would most likely be happiest with. It pours out of cases easy and doesn't seem to get stuck in the primer hole or pocket.

as an aside, assuming you're cleaning cases with primers still in them, i've never had tumbler media remain in the pocket after the depriming station. the decapping pin pushes it out, as long as it pushes the primer out. spiderwebs and mud, however, can and will give you problems.

Drillspot is a great place to get corn cob meal. I use it for final polish. I use rice to get the brass clean. A 50# bag from Sam's lasts a long time and really gets the crud off.

• 4 weeks later...

Lizard Litter pet bedding from PetSmart or Walmart. 12lbs for $8. This is small grain crushed walnut hulls.

If you know someone in the oil drilling industry, the rigs buy truckloads of 50lb bags of crushed walnut hulls, known as nut-plug. They mix it in the drilling fluid. It would be nothing to get a leftover 25lbs from them. It's really inexpensive stuff.

Find a drilling fluids vendor like Halliburton or Baker Highes etc, buy a 50lb bag from them. I bet they'd sell you one for $10.

If you can find someone locally selling industrial sand blasting media they may have crushed walnut and corn cobb media in stock at a reasonable price. I use 14/20 in corn cobb media and 20/40 in walnut media.

• 1 month later...

If you can find someone locally selling industrial sand blasting media they may have crushed walnut and corn cobb media in stock at a reasonable price. I use 14/20 in corn cobb media and 20/40 in walnut media.

Exactly the same as what I use.... On most brass, from an indoor range, I go straight to the corncob with good results.....

try calling your local feed stores. I found a local place that has 40 lb bags for $20 bucks. Its a little coarse but it works fast on pistol brass and I don't worry about primer pockets as I tumble with the old primers in them. I save the fine stuff for .223 as i tumble to get rid of the case lube after sizing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using 14/20 corncob. Thinking of trying 20/40. Anyone used 20/40? I need to make sure it is small enough to fall free from .223 brass.

OK... I reread the above posts and it seems the larger the number the finer the grit...? Is this correct?

Edited by Merlin Orr

I use a wet tumbler with stainless steel media, the media never wears out, washes off , my tumbling time is about 3 hours for 500 cases, it is clean inside and out, looks like brand new brass when finished, best reloading accessory I have bought. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently tumbling 45 ACP with the 20/40 corncob media from drillspot.com (laptop next to the tumbler :P), it seems really small and really light compared to the stuff i ordered with my XL650, obviously its not going to get stuck in the flash hole or shouldn't, my only concern is if its gonna take longer because its so tiny and not a heavier material. just wondering how many people have actually used the stuff from drillspot.com and what kind of results you got and if it took longer than usual?

Original stuff I've been using

2012-09-06+15.35.39.jpg

20/40 Corncob from Drillspot

2012-09-06+15.35.54.jpg

I've found that walnut works best for cleaning before case prep and corncob works best for final finish before loading. Also, use Nu-Finish with the corncob for best appearance.

All the cases have been cleaned in a sonic cleaner, this is for the polishing part of it, i read in a few other posts about Nu-Finish, i'm still using up my dillon case polish bottle before i pick up some Nu-Finish, and im guessing its just the big orange bottle of liquid goo i should pick up, not sure if i saw anywhere about diluting it or not i could swear there was something but i could be mistaken

If you have a Grainger industrial supply store nearby they also carry ECONOLINE 20/40 corncob for $35.95/40#. That's only $2.29 more than the same product from Drillspot.

don't believe i do, besides the dropship method is free shipping anyways, and i dont think ill be running out of a 40 pound bag any time soon and i get free brass from a range my buddy picks up.

When you order the media from Drillspot, it usually ships from grainger. I have the 20/40 from Drillspot. When I first opened the bag, I was worried that it was too fine to do the job. It does work, it just seems to take a little longer than the Lyman media I had. I add NuFinish and some mineral spirits to each batch before tumbling....brass comes out looking brand new after 4-6 hours. I usually leave it run overnight