Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal Gold Medal Match Primers?

So what's the difference between Federal Small Pistol Primers and the Federal Gold Medal Small Pistol Primers Match grade? Besides the price. I can't find any of the standard Federal small pistol primers around here so I'm just gonna spend a few extra bucks to get the match grade, but I want to make sure there's no real big difference.

Thanks!

I saw episode of Shooting USA once and they did a tour of Federal ammo factory. The only difference with the match grade primers is they had 3 of their most experienced workers doing those primers, same priming compound they just know how to make them better, more consistent when they apply mixture. I use match for precision rifle shooting, but whatever I can get for pistol.

They are more consistent for one. They seem to be a bit hotter, but not much. You should have good luck with them.

I compared them over a chrono with the same load (9mm minor using VV340) and there was no significant difference, in SD, ES or actual velocity.

Edited by gose

I worked with a Federal Rep in the 4-H Shooting Sports program. He told me the same thing "HoMiE" reported in his post.

A bit off topic, but I have read the same is true for match grade 22 ammo - same loading machines, same components, same priming compound. Just more experienced operators and tighter QC parameters.

• 3 weeks later...

In my testing at 50 yards over standard federal primers I saw a 17% reduction in group size.

They do matter, at 50 yards anyway..... ;)

DougC

I was getting just over 1" groups at 55y from a ransom rest with the regular 100s in both .38 and 9mm. Possible that I would have seen the same 17% reduction with the gold match, but it was good enough for me... :)

I see tons more consistency at the chrono with match over the blue box. I can bring my PF much lower with match small pistol.i have to run 172+ with the blue box to be safe. VVn320 Rainier and Montana gold loaded at 1.2 oal. Shooting a Cameron's 6" and 2011 5". Hope this helps.