Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need assistance with G35 modification for practical shooting

PrinC

Hello guys,

I have been trying to figure out which combination to use so here is a scenario hope you can assist with. I own a G35 and use it for sport shooting. I have realised that if the pistol is not held firmly when shooting it flips a bit. However, I met a friend who has now installed a heavy duty tungsten guiderod to reduce recoil. I intend doing the same but was wondering if I were to add a magwell to the pistol if the 5.5oz magwell would be better than a 6.7oz magwell.I do not want to buy both magwells to try so if anyone has any advice to offer it would be greatly appreciated. Buying the tungsten guiderod is a must. The question is which magwell would be best for this change.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

I highly doubt you will feel much difference between the two magwells. I would go with the heavier one, in conjunction with the new guide rod you'll see a marked difference.For what it's worth, I have both the Zev Heavy and Light magwells and also the heavy and light inserts. The heavier of both got my vote.

Edited by tackdr1ver

If you are shooting MAJOR loads i would say the heavier the better.

1. Full length tungsten rod T.H.E./ZEV

2. SJC brass mag well(it's the heaviest)

3. Taylor Freelance brass magazine base plate/extensions

All of these HEAVY metal components will increase the weight and reduce muzzle flip. This is what i use on my LIMITED G35.

Not that I have much experience with G35 in limited, but I just built one more for fun but I'm really liking it - until I get the scratch to get an STI.

I have the Dawson Ice extra heavy magwell (bought it used great deal thanx Gene!) and Tungsten extended guiderod with 15lb spring. Compared to my G34 its much heavier and IMO does help the flip some, although the feel is a bit different. I have the Dawson mag extensions which gets me 19 in the magazione and then have run perfect so far.

Edited by frankge

You will deal with two things while shooting perceived recoil and sight tracking. Having a heavy guide rod and magwell will reduce the perceived recoil. Once you are used to the perceived recoil then you need to tune your recoil spring to your load and shooting style. If the sights drop below the POI after recoil your spring is to heavy. If the sights stay above the POI your spring is to light. Adjust the weight of the recoil spring until the sights come close to POI after recoil. This is important because all of that extra weight in the guide rod and Magwell are extra weight you need to muscle into place to get a second accurate shot.

You will deal with two things while shooting perceived recoil and sight tracking. Having a heavy guide rod and magwell will reduce the perceived recoil. Once you are used to the perceived recoil then you need to tune your recoil spring to your load and shooting style. If the sights drop below the POI after recoil your spring is to heavy. If the sights stay above the POI your spring is to light. Adjust the weight of the recoil spring until the sights come close to POI after recoil. This is important because all of that extra weight in the guide rod and Magwell are extra weight you need to muscle into place to get a second accurate shot.

Thanks Poppa Bear for your response. The tungsten guiderod I intend purchasing should come with the springs already attached. Ammunition wise we do not reload in our part of the woods, so we use regular Walmart ammo.I will also take the advice given by Sweetback and get the heavier magwell and extended baseplates for my magazines.

I recently did some testing on this and found some interesting things. I used a G35, a Timberwolf and an M&P...all polymer framed pistols.

Adding a Tungsten guiderod and heavy magwell did reduce the felt recoil over just one or the other. However, when I watched video, I found that the total motion and settling time of the pistol was actually increased with the heavy magwell on all three pistols. The total motion and settling time of the pistol was the least with just the Tungsten guiderod.

Sure, there are differences in grip from person to person and gun to gun, but I did not expect this result. From a mathematical perspective, it makes sense though. I have since gone to no, or aluminum lightweight magwells on my pistols.

I recently did some testing on this and found some interesting things. I used a G35, a Timberwolf and an M&P...all polymer framed pistols.

Adding a Tungsten guiderod and heavy magwell did reduce the felt recoil over just one or the other. However, when I watched video, I found that the total motion and settling time of the pistol was actually increased with the heavy magwell on all three pistols. The total motion and settling time of the pistol was the least with just the Tungsten guiderod.

Sure, there are differences in grip from person to person and gun to gun, but I did not expect this result. From a mathematical perspective, it makes sense though. I have since gone to no, or aluminum lightweight magwells on my pistols.

My 35 runs with a steel guide rod and an aluminum magwell. When I ran a tungsten the recoil spring was to light for the action so I was border line on starting to unlock the action before the firing pin was released. If I installed a heavier spring then the gun was wanting to nosedive bringing the second round lower than POI of the first round.

Thanks much MarkCo for this post.I had my concerns about this very issue and thanks to you, I will now go with the lighter magwell to reduce on the setting time.Good responses guys, much appreciated.

A friend told me once that the polymer framed pistols can be seen bending when in use being fired. can anyone confirm this.....maybe from video playback or something?

Even the metal ones flex a bit. The polymer framed pistols, with good high-res played back in slo-mo, looks like a noodle flipping around.

Google something like "Slow-Motion Glock video". There are a bunch out there now.

Thanks Poppa Bear for your response. The tungsten guiderod I intend purchasing should come with the springs already attached. Ammunition wise we do not reload in our part of the woods, so we use regular Walmart ammo.I will also take the advice given by Sweetback and get the heavier magwell and extended baseplates for my magazines.

Which tungsten guiderod are you going to get?

Which tungsten guiderod are you going to get?

I was just browsing the glockstore website and saw the heavy duty tungsten guiderod but now I have concerns about the spring weight. I want a 15 lb spring weight based on advice from fellow shooters. I am told the tungsten guiderods come with a 17 lb spring.Please advise if you have a better option.

A friend told me once that the polymer framed pistols can be seen bending when in use being fired. can anyone confirm this.....maybe from video playback or something?

There was a great video of a Salient Glock dustcover flexing all over the place from Top Shot.

Start around 1:50.

I have the 6.7 oz magwell on my G35, it does help but honestly I feel like it really needs more weight up front. I have a stainless guide rod with a 15 lb recoil spring.

There was a great video of a Salient Glock dustcover flexing all over the place from Top Shot.

Start around 1:50.

I have the 6.7 oz magwell on my G35, it does help but honestly I feel like it really needs more weight up front. I have a stainless guide rod with a 15 lb recoil spring.

Try the tungsten guiderod with a 15lb spring. I am told its the best combination.

That's exactly what I am now using. Only had if out for one outting with the new spring and rod. I liked the feel of it

Blue Jacket, what magwell, if any, are you using?

Did you also change your trigger system?

If the pin keeps walking after you install the new one you might do what I did. Heat the end of a paper clip and melt a small dimple on the inside of the hole. It kept my pin from walking but that dimple wears out the more often you remove the pin so you simply redo the dimple again...

An extractor should be an item in your spare parts bag. It's cheap insurance as the edge can chip or wear out and ruin your day.

Edited by kamikaze1a

I purchased a heavy brass mag well from another forumn member. Not sure of manfacturer. I have a vanak classic trigger and glockworx lightened striker.

You might want to start with the lightened striker, reduced power striker spring and 25 cent trigger job. I did get some light strikes that's why I went to a lightened striker. That is if your looking at trigger components as well. If you still want a smoother trigger you might want to get a Vanek

I purchased a heavy brass mag well from another forumn member. Not sure of manfacturer. I have a vanak classic trigger and glockworx lightened striker.

You might want to start with the lightened striker, reduced power striker spring and 25 cent trigger job. I did get some light strikes that's why I went to a lightened striker. That is if your looking at trigger components as well. If you still want a smoother trigger you might want to get a Vanek

Thanks much, Blue Jacket. My concern is now which trigger system is the best for the glock. I know of the Zev from glockworx, the Vanek trigger.....which one?

I think that answer might be like Ford vs Chevy. I've never tried a Glockworx but if you search the forum folks do seem to like them. I do like the Vanek if you are at a match you might want to see if someone has one you can try.

I think that answer might be like Ford vs Chevy. I've never tried a Glockworx but if you search the forum folks do seem to like them. I do like the Vanek if you are at a match you might want to see if someone has one you can try.

Seems I may have to buy one to try it myself. I do not know of any competitive shooter in my neck of the woods who have a Vanek trigger system.I definitely want the smoothest trigger system for my glock.