Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spectator underfoot while RO'ing

davidwiz

Not sure if this is the right place, if not pls move.

I was RO'ing a fairly new IPSC'er (I'll call him JoeyPants). Gun handling skills were still being developed - meaning had to yell out "muzzle" and "finger" a few times, but no saftey infractions. The guy's gun was malfunctioning left and right, multiple times on each stage. That's just background.

Anyway, during the course of the match, another competitor (I'll call him Waldo) in our squad, while he was in spectator mode, would invade my space as an RO while I RO'ing the newer shooter. At the starting position, he would stand a foot or two behind me and hover. I asked him several times, very politely, to move back. At the completion of the COF, but during the unload/show clear bit, Waldo would run up and either stand right behind, or next to me and proceed to ask JoeyPants a variation of, "what happened, what ammo are you using, which magazine that is on the ground was the one in the gun when it malfunctioned, etc." Again I had to several times politely as him to step back.

Waldo is an experienced IPSC'er, but doesn't shoot that much anymore, not a certified RO, and meant well in trying to help JoeyPants. With the level of gun handling evidenced by JoeyPants, I was nervous as it was, but having to deal with Waldo made it worse.

How would you have handled the situation and what could I have done differently?

-David

I'll assume this is a club level match, right?

I'd tell him to sit with the rest of the spectators until range is clear. I'd do it loudly so all could hear. In other words, embarass him once and I bet he'll behave.

If he doesn't get the hint then pull him to the side and tell him that this new shooter doesn't need all that "help" while trying to clear and holster.

Or, let him RO and sit back and watch.

Well, if he didn't heed the requests to stay back I would remind him of 10.4.2 and let him know that he could be facing a Match DQ for unsportsman like behavior. Harsh, perhaps but you have to be able to do your job. He can coach all he wants after the shooter has left the line.

I would warn him in private first (about how he is impeding you-yet encourage his helping the new shooter at the appropriate time), and then if it persists, issue a match DQ...He is afterall, keeping you from doing your job, which is to keep everybody safe. Public embaressment only causes resentment, and in my opinion should not be used. If it persists, trust me, the match DQ will be public enough on the stats results.

Jeff B)

I HIGHly doubt it would result in a DQ situation. The mere mention of such a thing should be enough to back him off. It is a catch-all that shouldn't be used unless there is repeated contravention of the rules. I hope this clarifies. As for being high...well, let's keep the comments civil. <_<

Jeff

David,

finish with the shooter under your control. After the stage is scored, hand the timer off to someone else and have a polite conversation with Waldo. If that doesn't produce the desired effect, have a conversation with the match director --- that's what we're there for. By all means try to solve any problems encountered by polite conversation first, but if that isn't producing the desired result --- let someone else have a crack at it....

David,

I generally agree with Nik's advice above except that the correct person to contact is the Range Master who, under Rule 7.1.5, has ultimate authority over "all persons". Basically, once the first shot has been fired at a match, the MD is "out of the loop" when it comes to actual stage management.

Of course it's possible that at a smaller match, the MD and RM might be one and the same person (as permitted by Point 4 of Appendix A1) but, in such cases, the RO seeks advice from "Johnny Two Hats" as RM.

And given that you describe Waldo as being "a spectator", Waldo has absolutely no right to be in "no man's land" between the other competitors and the guy on the line, and an RO would be well within his rights refusing to process the subject competitor until Waldo moved away as requested.

If polite (then strong), requests failed to get Waldo to back up, then explusion from the range under Rule 10.6.2 would indeed be justified as a last resort. The last thing we need is for an RO to be constantly distracted by a spectator, regardless of how well-meaning he may be.

A match DQ for unsportsman like conduct at a club level match? Are you high?

No, I'm not and I'm not a range nazi either. But, Waldo (a competitor - read the first sentance of the second paragraph) is interfering with the RO including during the Unload, Show Clear). The rules are the same for club level matches as they are for higher levels of competition. They are that way to protect the safety of all involved and to provide an equal oportunity for all of the competitors. If Waldo wants to coach a new shooter that is fine - just do it after the shooter has left the COF so as not to interfere with the RO in the performance of his resonsibilities..

Thank you for your comments. To clarify, when I said that Waldo was a spectator, meaning, that he wasn't presently shooting, but he was shooting the match (club level) in the squad that I was in.

-David

David- Your opening post was very clear as to Waldo's role in the mess. Pull him aside and politely ask him to stay clear of the COF. If he does it again, then give Waldo a DQ stating that you have warned him once and now it's time to go.

Are you high?

It's just a figure of speach. Not a request for a blood test. :lol::lol:

I guess even at club level match rule 8.7.5

8.7.5 No person is permitted to enter or move through a course of fire without the prior approval of a Range Officer assigned to that course of fire or the Range Master. Violators will incur a warning for the first offense but may be subject to the provisions of Section 10.6 for subsequent offenses.

would cover this situation adequately.

Of course, at club match level, I'd have a private discussion with said Waldo in first place, then for subsequent violations I'd invoke rule 8.7.5.

At local (read club level) matches we don't officially appoint a range master.  The MD acts as the "de facto" RM, hence my advice to contact the MD.

Nik

A minor technical point - Match organizers must officially appoint someone to act in the capacity of RM because there are a number of rules that specifically require a decision by the RM.

Appendix A1 Item 04 states that a Range Master (actual or designated) is mandatory at ALL match levels.

However, the Rules Committee was mindful of the difficulties and practicalities at smaller matches and so made a provision for this as below.

Rule 7.3.1 was added to the 2004 rules:

7.3.1 Match organizers must, prior to commencement of a match, appoint a Match Director and a Range Master to carry out the duties detailed in these rules. The nominated Range Master should preferably be the most competent and experienced certified Range Official present (also see Rule 7.1.5). For Level I and II matches a single person may be appointed to be both the Match Director and the Range Master.

The current practice you describe of the MD acting as RM is perfectly acceptable under the 2004 rules but I thought it might be interesting to add to this thread the actual rules that deal with it.

Please note that the MD is not always going to be "the most competent and experienced certified Range Official present ". The MD doesn't even need to be qualified as an RO (it is better if they are qualified, IMHO) and this is why over the past few years more and more match rule decision making has shifted solely to the RM.

Neil,

Thanks for the heads up. Hmmmm, guess Keith and I will have to fight over who's appointed range master. :D:D Oddly enough, we rarely have to make rules decisions at our matches ---- we must know how to play nicely together....

Hmmmm, guess Keith and I will have to fight over who's appointed range master.

Nik: Have you seen Rule 12.7: Paper, Rock, Scissors ?? :lol:

Neil: Thanks for quoting the relevant rule, which I failed to do in my earlier post. Bad Vinny.

A little update - I talked to another RO the other day about Waldo, and he said that the same thing has happened to him numerous times - that while he is RO'ing, Waldo (as a spectator) will be underfoot and in the way. And to make matters worse, Waldo is a certified RO.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

-David