Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning STI mags

Poppa Bear

For the moment, I've tuned 2 STI 126 mm mags tube like that :

Dawson or SPS basepads

SVI "super slim" follower

SVI spring with 1 or 2 coils cut off

That makes 18 rounds mags for .40 that fit in the IPSC box, but not reloadable... still working on other configurations to get reloadable 18 rnds mags.

Addressing the OPs question:

I followed the Freedom Gunworks "Competition Mag Tuning Tutorial" on a current production STI 140 tube. Grams follower/spring, Dawson SNL pad, viced tube squeezed down to 1.360.

Stock mag I got 18.

Stock tube, basepad, grams follower/spring I got 19 reloadable.

Stock tube, spring/follower, Dawson SNL got me 19 reloadable.

Tuned tube ( I do not consider dropping in drop in parts "tuning") with SNL pad and stock follower got me 20.

Tuned tube, SNL pad, stock spring and follower= tight 20.

Final combo is tuned tube, Grams follower/spring, SNL pad, 21. I can reload it but I use it as a start mag to start with 22 in the gun. If I am reloading I am currently using stock tubes, stock basepads, and the grams kit. Easy 19 that runs is plenty for me if I am going to be reloading anyway. I am planning on using 18 round IPSC mags when I prep for an international match. Capacity is great, more is better, etc but I am happy to start with 22 and reload to 18 or 19.

• 3 weeks later...

Grams Engineering!

Send them to Blevin. Send some $.

Great guy. Great Service. My mags never fail.

Ranger6

I agree...I sent 3 STI 45acp mags and some of the loads 185gr LSWC (for ESP) and had him tune them 7 years ago...he actually sent me back a extra set of springs but I have never had to change them!!! Clean them a couple times a year and never had a mag or FTF problem......aprox 50,000 rounds through a STI 2011......was expensvie, but worth it!!!

• 5 weeks later...

I finally gave in and got the grams follower kit and put it in my STI 126mm mag tube and it is still a 17 round reloadable....similar to when they had bolen guts.

I was hoping to get 18 rounds reloadable. Anyone share a secret here?

My configuration so far

Grams guts

STI 126mm mags

IPSC wedge basepad - JR Speed brand

What difference does it make if the mags hold 19 or 20 rounds. How many stages have you seen that did not require a reload shooting Limited? I would rather have mags that hold 18 rounds and are 100% reliable than 19 or 20 that are not.

I finally gave in and got the grams follower kit and put it in my STI 126mm mag tube and it is still a 17 round reloadable....similar to when they had bolen guts.

I was hoping to get 18 rounds reloadable. Anyone share a secret here?

My configuration so far

Grams guts

STI 126mm mags

IPSC wedge basepad - JR Speed brand

Some tube reworking may get you 18, but I use the Grams follower/spring with stock 126 tubes and the Double Alpha basepads for 18 reloadable.

What difference does it make if the mags hold 19 or 20 rounds. How many stages have you seen that did not require a reload shooting Limited? I would rather have mags that hold 18 rounds and are 100% reliable than 19 or 20 that are not.

I have a mag I tuned at home that is legal and holds a tight 21. I find that while I often do not need to use 22 rounds before reloading it is a nice thing to have. I shot a 21 round stage, had to make up one shot where I missed a piece of steel, and at unload show clear had nothing in the chamber. Scary, but there was no convenient place to reload and I ran the stage really fast. FWIW I use that mag to start and load the rest of mine to 18.

• 3 weeks later...

I run two types of mags:

Sri tubes, grams spring and follower Bolen base pad for 20 reloadable and very reliable.

Rescomp tubes, Bolen followers shaved down, grams springs with a coil clipped off, and Bolen 3mm base pads for 22 non-reloadable but can start with 23 in the gun. These are less reliable but can be made to work well, you must test them often as you are running on the edge. I can save a reload at major matches.

I'm hoping to learn something here. I've got 6 stock STI mags, 40 cal Eagle.

I can understand that some folks would be willing to spend time and $'s to get an extra round or two, beyond that it is a mystery to me why anyone would mess with them beyond occasional cleaning or eventual replacement of worn components. The stock mags just seem to do everything that a good mag is supposed to (although for what they cost a few witness holes don't seem out of the question) and if I got one that did not work I think I could send it back for free repair.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but if there is something going on that I'm clueless about then a quick explanation would be appreciated.

It is for the most part stage setup. A boring stage is 8 shots, 8 shots, 8 shots, 8 shots. It becomes a conga line because there is only one way to shoot it. Production and SS reload every array, Limited every other, and Open either the second or third array.

Now do a stage with 1 target, 2 targets, 2 targets, 3 targets....... You can reload every 6 rounds, 8 rounds, 10 rounds...... It is not uncommon for there to be a natural break 12 to 18 rounds into a stage. I have shot many where I am reloading after 12 rounds because shots 14 to 20 are one array, and shots 21 to 32 are somewhat spread out. 12 plus 20 equals 32, so the reload at 12 still gives me enough to finish the stage. If I run into a problem I can reload again before I get to the end. I shoot very few stages that require 18 to 20 shots before a natural reload point, but many that allow 16 to 20 after that natural reload point. Knowing I need 16 and have 20 gives me a lot more comfort than need 16 and have 17 or 18.

OK, so I have stock STI .40 mag tubes and use the Dawson +1 base pads. So which Grams spring, the 11 coil or the 13 coil? It looks to me like I should use the 13 coil but want to make sure as I am rebuilding my mags this fall. As a side, I get 18 with stock STI tubes guts and Dawson +1 base pads.