Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Classifier

okorpheus

After many classifiers....I no longer put much stock in them.

The IDPA classifier is by no means comparable to a large match.

I totally agree, the IDPA classifier really isn't the most well thought out system for classification.

In my experience people either under qualify or over qualify and substantially so. Especially with the real quick shooters who push the envelope, the wheels come off and an MA or EX run ends up in SS. I have also seen instances where guys shoot very deliberately end up in EX class and typically finish in MM places most matches. It's bizarre indeed!

I classified as expert by classifier, which I am not. I don't repeatedly do classifiers just to go up, I just shoot my best one day. Got EX by less than 1 second.

I will not be winning any large matches for some time. I would expect to be a solid sharpshooter, but moving targets, poppers, steel, and hard cover make the big matches significantly more challenging that a classifier IMO

As a recommendation, I would say don't do classifiers for any reason other than practice or to shoot a major match. Give them a solid effort, accept where you end up and accept that it will not likely have any correlation to your standing at a major match.

Edited by Onagoth

I disagree, although I feel the classifier system in USPSA is better, the IDPA system is still a good indicator of your level of expertise. We all have good days and bad days shooting, whether in a match, or doing the classifier. If you classified as an expert, then that is what you are by IDPA standards and you have the potential to compete with most any "honest" expert. Of course since you classified on the low end of expert, you will have to work to catch the "almost Masters"but that is the fun part , right? Work hard and live up to your rating, you will be a better shooter for it.

Regardless of what the IDPA says, I'm competing with every other shooter that shows up. The classification system is mostly useful for me in evaluating my performance against shooters that I don't know well. I just qualified SS, and so my real competition is now the EX shooters, and my goal is to start catching them and classify EX in the future (don't care whether it's a match bump or a classifier). If that means I miss out on the fabulous cash prizes that go to the best MM, then bummer for me. :cheers:

the classifier is supposed to give you a baseline on your skills. That said, I really only look at the overall results these days, and usually after a few matches can see which compeitiors are doing well consistantly.

We have a SSP MM that usually finishes in the top 3-7 spots overall. some people just don't want to move up.

the classifier is supposed to give you a baseline on your skills. That said, I really only look at the overall results these days, and usually after a few matches can see which compeitiors are doing well consistantly.

We have a SSP MM that usually finishes in the top 3-7 spots overall. some people just don't want to move up.

You're correct. There will always be people like that, someday it will catch up to them!

I could care less about the classifications. I'm all about overall. I figure it's up to you what gun you use so I only care about top overall score. I'm currently SS but I haven't shot a classifier in two years. I'm pretty confident I can make Master if I don't loose my cool. For me it seems pretty accurate. I missed expert last time by 4 sec because I forgot 3 shots on one string and pulled three 5's. I feel I was at Expert level. My last two matches I placed 6th and first beating out some experienced Master shooters so I feel I'm on par with Master. I think it's easier to Classify Master than to win a tough match.

I am mainly interested on how I finish overall, mainly because so few revolver shooters are at the matches that I get to participate in. Also it bothers a number of the auto shooters that I finish ahead of. :lol: The last local match that I competed in there were 50 participants and only ONE revolver shooter (ME!). I finished 26th overall and 8th in accuracy (with only 8 points down the whole match). One stage required 6 shots, another required 8 shots, and only one that required more than 16 shots to complete out of 6 stages. My point is that I could not afford to miss and had to make more reloads than pretty much all of my fellow competitors. Only a CDP shooter would have to equal my number of reloads, and even that would only be on an 18 round stage. Someone pointed out that on pure shooting I was beating 3/4 of the field, but the higher number of reloads that I had to make hurt me. Even with the challenges I was able to finish as high as I did in a field of auto shooters. :D

I could care less about the classifications. I'm all about overall. I figure it's up to you what gun you use so I only care about top overall score. I'm currently SS but I haven't shot a classifier in two years. I'm pretty confident I can make Master if I don't loose my cool.

You really need to re-classify, IMO. For one thing, your current situation isn't fair to your fellow competitors, particularly the sharpshooters you're beating. Even if it's a local match, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to win their class occasionally, and may even be getting discouraged by now. The dominance of an obvious sandbagger may also prevent others from participating in your division/class.

Also, if you're shooting at the Master level, rather than just beating up the local sharpshooters, consider shooting an actual sanctioned match, in which case, you'd likely need to have shot a classifier within the last year since you're not already a Master.

Tom

I could care less about the classifications. I'm all about overall. I figure it's up to you what gun you use so I only care about top overall score. I'm currently SS but I haven't shot a classifier in two years. I'm pretty confident I can make Master if I don't loose my cool. For me it seems pretty accurate. I missed expert last time by 4 sec because I forgot 3 shots on one string and pulled three 5's. I feel I was at Expert level. My last two matches I placed 6th and first beating out some experienced Master shooters so I feel I'm on par with Master. I think it's easier to Classify Master than to win a tough match.

I don't think you're a master shooter if you forgot 3 shots and pulled 3 misses.

I've been told multiple times master class by way of classifier requires almost no 3's, let alone misses and forgotten shots.

I've seen a few decent masters shoot, they never outright miss a target. Well, virtually never

Edited by Onagoth

IDPA Shooter Responsibility #7

Obtain a valid classification and maintain it by shooting the

classifier at least once every twelve (12) months (except master

class shooters).

It's even in the rulebook!

If you're wrecking the sharpshooter class in your club shoots, it's time to class up to give everyone else a chance to shine.

Do you want to be big fish in a little pond, or do you want to move over to a bigger pond and grow even bigger?

Edited by TerryYu

• 3 weeks later...

IDPA Shooter Responsibility #7

Obtain a valid classification and maintain it by shooting the

classifier at least once every twelve (12) months (except master

class shooters).

It's even in the rulebook!

If you're wrecking the sharpshooter class in your club shoots, it's time to class up to give everyone else a chance to shine.

Do you want to be big fish in a little pond, or do you want to move over to a bigger pond and grow even bigger?

I'm not trying to sandbag or wreck anything. Due to my work schedule I just haven't made very many matches in the last two years. In the last 8 months I've been to two matches. The matches I have attended they weren't running a Classifier after the match. Believe me, I really want to shoot a Classifier to step up to at least Expert if I have a bad day. When you are SS you wind up getting grouped with some of the Beginners at shoots instead of the Masters. I would rather shoot with some of the more experienced shooters so I can learn from them. The last thing I want to do is discourage someone from shooting. I always try to help out anyone and I only want to beat people if they are shooting their best. I'll make sure I get this done in the near future. I really don't care much about what class I'm in I want to be the top overall in every match. I never thought about the people who do care.

I think IDPA matches need some more distance shooting ( ala third stage of the classifier)

IDPA when origionally created was the classifier. matches had stages that were very similar to them.

I think both sports USPSA and IDPA need classifiers that more mimic the matches that they are in.

Either way. it's just a lable, shoot your best and try to ignore those "classifications"

I'm not trying to sandbag or wreck anything. Due to my work schedule I just haven't made very many matches in the last two years. In the last 8 months I've been to two matches. The matches I have attended they weren't running a Classifier after the match. Believe me, I really want to shoot a Classifier to step up to at least Expert if I have a bad day. When you are SS you wind up getting grouped with some of the Beginners at shoots instead of the Masters. I would rather shoot with some of the more experienced shooters so I can learn from them. The last thing I want to do is discourage someone from shooting. I always try to help out anyone and I only want to beat people if they are shooting their best. I'll make sure I get this done in the near future. I really don't care much about what class I'm in I want to be the top overall in every match. I never thought about the people who do care.

That's good to know. I was in a similar situation where I kept missing club classifiers and eventually would up driving 100 miles to get to one.