Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hits are low on target

I shoot a cz shadow with a fiber optic front and adjustable LPA stle rear sight in production. I adjust my sights to where the rounds strike at the top of the front sight blade at 25 yards. I adjust my sights free style without using a bench. I notice that in a match my hits on targets at distances greater then say 10 yards are almost always low. Yet when I go to the range to check the zero on the sights to see if they might have been knocked out of alignment its always dead on at 25 yards. I used 124 MG JHP at about 132ish PF.

In the haste of a match am I watching the fiber rod, instead of the top of the front sight? Or could it be that I am just aiming dead on at the target without compensating for the fact that the A zone is actually slightly higher on the target.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Shoot from each distance to figure out where it hits at every yardage, i shoot a G34 and zeroed at 25 yds, my shots are low at 5-15 yds, so yes I am at top of A zone. Keep in mind that the Metric target A zone is not dead center of part, it is also slightly higher. 3/4 high at target shoulder is where I usually aim.

Do some bill drills, should show you something. It is almost always trigger control, or flinching.

I have done bill drills at 7 and 10 yards and never really noticed my hits being low, even with 10 round bill drills. But I will shoot some again and pay closer attention to the hits this time.

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

Shoot from each distance to figure out where it hits at every yardage, i shoot a G34 and zeroed at 25 yds, my shots are low at 5-15 yds, so yes I am at top of A zone. Keep in mind that the Metric target A zone is not dead center of part, it is also slightly higher. 3/4 high at target shoulder is where I usually aim.

I sort of suspect this, I just cut the target in half with my front sight when I am unable to see the A zone due to distance or poor lighting and as you said the A zone is not dead center on a metric target.

I've had this issue off and on as well. Recently I've noticed that if I really think about and have conscience focus on the front sight while shooting (target blurry), the problem goes away. Don't know how confident you are that your eyes are focused on the front sight when match pressure is on and you're moving a lot. I'd be interested in your results if you decide to experiment in this area.

Obviously not calling shots when the results are low. Don't know if I'm looking over the sights to see the target and dropping the gun slightly or anticipating recoil and bringing the gun down too soon or flinching. I also considered the top of the front sight is slightly above the fiber and this could be the issue as well. But, for some reason, total focus on the front sight seems to fix it.

I shoot a cz shadow with a fiber optic front and adjustable LPA stle rear sight in production. I adjust my sights to where the rounds strike at the top of the front sight blade at 25 yards. I adjust my sights free style without using a bench. I notice that in a match my hits on targets at distances greater then say 10 yards are almost always low. Yet when I go to the range to check the zero on the sights to see if they might have been knocked out of alignment its always dead on at 25 yards. I used 124 MG JHP at about 132ish PF.

In the haste of a match am I watching the fiber rod, instead of the top of the front sight? Or could it be that I am just aiming dead on at the target without compensating for the fact that the A zone is actually slightly higher on the target.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Jerome

At our club's USPSA match in March, I had a bear of a time with the Plate Rack @ 20 yards. I was sure that some how my sights or POI/POA had changed since I often run the plate rack at 20 yards during practice. It troubled be so much that I returned the next day to make the necessary adjustments. I positioned myself in the exact same spot, using the exact same pistol and the exact same rounds. I proceeded to center punch all six plates. I spent the rest of that session doing bill drills @ 15 and 20 yards to correct the match created exuberance that was causing the issue. :wub:

+1 on Prairie Doggin!

Many shooters have a tendency to to look "over" the sights when shooting quickly but not when shooting slowly and deliberately. I have known shooters who intentionally sighted in 1" to 2" high at 25 yards from the bags and were dead on when shooting off hand at speed.

If you were subconsciously using the FO dot when shooting quickly your shots would be high instead of low.

Might be Prairie Doggin

This or not really able to focus on the front sight because of the f/o.

I don't think you need to sight in a 25 yards either, but that one is more personal, and is probably a bigger deal with an optic mounted higher above the bore axis.

wg

• 1 month later...

I had this trouble, sometime was worst and another not.

I did Rob Laetham dry, set your partime, for 10 shot at 10 m. Start draw and 1 shot. then two shot, 3,4...10. When I must up velocity, the shot become to low hit. My solution was lowest the presure of my strong, and was magic, the shot hit n A zone!