Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CLAYOREO SUCCESS!

The Noveske Colorado MG Championship just used Clayoreos for short range rifle on 2 stages and in the shootoff: a total of 8 clayoreos per shooter and 5 more if you made the shoot-off.

Mark used an ingenious and simple mounting system using duct tape, a sawhorse and a toothpick (hopefully he will post pic's)

Bottom Line: They work. Only 1 or 2 instances of indistinct target indication but on the average 500% better than just clays alone (and when they scored the targets, the hits were still there)

Put a fork in it, we have the perfect short range frangible rifle target (until the next level comes along :ph34r: )

ericm

Go to LiveShots The shoot offs have "Run #" and have the Clayoreos.

They were also used on stage 5 and 7, but I am not sure if the videos show the hits.

I used a 4' long 2x4 sawhorse with 2' legs for the 3 Clayoreos and 8' crossbar for the 5.

Making the Clayoreos is not bad, it is getting the mounting/presentation that is tricky. I tried bottles, traffic cones, metal holders, tape inside and about 6 other methods. The folded duct tape over the toothpick is the fastest, easy relaible method I have found so far. If you just put the duct tape inside, taped to the clay, a few hits on the crossbar dislodge them clays and they fall.

Thanks for the idea and testing Eric!

Clayoreo "kit"

P4300001.jpg

Clayoreo

P4300002.jpg

The tape was stapled to the crossbar of a wood sawhorse. These stood up in 30 mph winds, hits on the 2x4s don't dislodge the clays.

We made up about a thousand of these during the match. Re-set was not an issue.

JJ was making Oreo clays at his RO school. He took two clays and filled one with a lot of dirt, then rubber banded the two together. When they were hit they literally exploded!

Same thing. He shot them at our local match last month.

Clayoreo "kit"

Clayoreo

The tape was stapled to the crossbar of a wood sawhorse. These stood up in 30 mph winds, hits on the 2x4s don't dislodge the clays.

We made up about a thousand of these during the match. Re-set was not an issue.

Having made several hundred Clayoreos over the weekend, I have a couple of comments.

First, from a stage design aspect, don't go crazy with these things. The are labor intensive and time consuming to assemble. One stage had 3 Clayoreos and our stage had 5. I think 3 is a good balance between shooting challenge and effort required to assemble. If you can hit 3 of them, you can hit 5 or 10 or a hundred.

Second, we found that a toothpick was not always thick enough to keep the Clayoreo from slipping off the tape. We were breaking off a piece of the toothpick (or used a staple) and sticking it perpendicular through the tape. This eliminated the problem. These were the thin type of toothpicks, so if you used the thicker round ones, you would probably be OK.

Other then that, they were awesome. Like Mark said, on our stage, we only had one that completely failed to indicate the hit. We had a couple of other partial failures, but the shooter was still able to get some indication that they hit it.

Edited by moose76

Great idea, glad it is working. We have been just using the "oreos" stuck in a bank at the end of the bay, we will have to try the tape idea out next match.

Just curious... a similar idea could be used with the Do-All Ball Targets (hanging from some twine). I've used them for practice and they seem to work well, very reactive, no need to reset. Are they too expensive? Don't hold up? Other?

Steve

Great idea, glad it is working. We have been just using the "oreos" stuck in a bank at the end of the bay, we will have to try the tape idea out next match.

Just curious... a similar idea could be used with the Do-All Ball Targets (hanging from some twine). I've used them for practice and they seem to work well, very reactive, no need to reset. Are they too expensive? Don't hold up? Other?

Steve

The Do-all balls cost more, get torn up in a big match and, most important, they can not be individually scored or challenged. When they get loaded up with lead, they do not react the same so they move less. That leads to scoring errors. Some matches use them and don't worry about the lack of consistency issue, but it is there nonetheless.

Another point that Mark and I failed to mention: alot of the materials to make and use the clayoreos are reusable several times on average, including the tape strip and toothpick, the rubber bands (just like a clay bird swinger for shotgun), and even the pile of dirt that accumulates under the target stand.

BONUS!

ericm (obvious clayoreo fan) :wub:

Edited by ericm

We shot about 780 clayoreos in the match. My wife made up 310 of the tape hangers. I still have about 150 left. One set of ROs used significantly less that the other, but they had a much faster reset and putting the clayoreo on the tape from the prior that was still on the 2x4 which did take a minute versus staple a new one up in a second or two. Stapling to the front seems to make the tape last a bit longer than the back.

When you put a pre-made Clayoreo on a stapled piece of tape, it does take two people. One to open the oreo up a bit and the other to insert the tape/toothpick. When inside, rotate the two clays together to get the sand out of the edges and they hold great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What would happen if you just used a little concrete as the frosting?

Would make them a little crunchier...probably a good source of fiber if that is what you are looking for. :eatdrink:

5 of us shot the Co. match and had a blast with the clayoreos! We just had a local match 2 weeks ago and used them, everybody enjoyed shooting them. Once you see how they work, it is easy for 1 person to hang them. Just open the top up alittle and you can hold it with one hand and insert the round toothpick with the other.

Great idea guys and thanks.

Doug

To get the small bits of the clayoreo out of your teeth after you eat them.......or it could be just a larger hump in the hanging tape so the clayoreo wont just slip off the tape

Steve

Steve,

How did you hang them? My idea was to just drill a hole and suspend them on a fishing line or other thin line. I can't see how they would fill with lead since this is a pistol or rifle target, and not a shotgun shot target.

How much movement did you get when they were hit with a 223? Enough for consistent scoring?

Thanks,

Busyhawk

let me get this straight, these kinda like explode when they are hit, sending sand everywhere right?

How about if you used day glow orange chalk like what is used for filling up a carpenter's chalk box?

It would be more expensive, sure, but might provide a more visually appealing target.

I wonder if there is a good cheap way to dye sand???

would washers tied to each end of say a foot long piece of string work?

have nails hammered into a board at a slight upward angle, then hook the washer over the head of the nail.

On second thought..., i bet the clayoreo would want to spin.

So one shooter sees the full 110mm diameter face of the claybird. Then the next shooter gets stuck shooting at just the edge.