Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning your optic

Cap

Anyone have any advice on the proper way to clean scope lenses? I had to dump my rifle in a barrel this weekend that had some old foam padding in it. The foam had started to degrade and left all sorts of dusty trash on my z6i. I really don't wanna scratch this thing up in an attempt to clean it. Any recommendations or suggestions are appreciated.

Alcohol pad used to clean skin. Follow w paper towel or cloth, not tissue paper.

Dont know if its best but seems harmless to coating and really cleans.

Mark

Not sure about the paper towel. Use to have to clean airplane plexiglass windows and paper towels was a serious offense because they would scratch the plexi. Scopes aren't made of plexi, but paper towels propensity to scratch remains I would think.

Use a blower, then alcohol pad and then q-tips. Use Q-tip for one time around then use a clean dry one. Keep using clean/dry q-tips until the lens is dry. No lint from cloth or scratches from paper towel/tissue. Q-tips are CHEAP. Had a camera tech teach me that.

I have photographic lens cleaning tools on hand like a Giottos Rocket blower. That would be my first step for a debris covered optic. After that I would use either photographic lens clearer liquids and/or or a lens pen. Essentially, I would treat my Swaro like my similarly priced Nikon gear, if I were you. Good luck.

Anyone have any advice on the proper way to clean scope lenses? I had to dump my rifle in a barrel this weekend that had some old foam padding in it. The foam had started to degrade and left all sorts of dusty trash on my z6i. I really don't wanna scratch this thing up in an attempt to clean it. Any recommendations or suggestions are appreciated.

Canned air to remove the heavy stuff, 70%-90%IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol aka rubbing alcohol) on Q-tips and cotton balls to finish.

Lens Pen from Leupold. Quick and Easy

This is what a number of long range shooters have told me to use. Get the Leupold pen, not the Butler Creek version - not the same thing.

Also, one of the little squeeze bulbs to blow air and get the big stuff (the blue ones for the ear are inexpensive and easy to find and can blow a lot of air).

If you are using canned air, get the type intended for optics. Some have a propellent in them that can actually coat the lens.

Edited by Graham Smith