Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Panic buying Safariland ELS? Added QLS question.

Ok, I spent most of the day surfing around for ELS parts to put togeather a new competition belt. My problem is that I keep finding shops that only have some of the parts in stock, but I have not found a single source yet that has every part in stock and available. I thought I was being simple wanting the inner and outer belts, 4 rifle pouches, 8 of the belt side brackets and 16 of the pouch/holster side brackets [minus if I can get any of the rifle pouches with them already installed]...but every site I go to is either out of something or flat doesen't carry it. What gives? This shouldn't be that hard. Safarilands website seems to have everything in stock, but it has the warning that it wil be 2-3 weeks before they even *process* the order, and I was hoping to have things in hand before CMMG...

Part of the reason I am doing this is to end up with 1 belt that I can re-configure for the different matches I shoot. I have 4 different pistols I use, between USPSA and 3 Gun, and I also switch between an AR in small club matches to a .308/heavy metal rig for the bigger ones, so I need mag pouches for both. Right now I just use TecLocks on a regular leather belt, but that is not ideal.

Edit: It seemed silly to add another topic on what is essentially the same subject, so here's question #2:

I intend to run both Safariland and BladeTech holsters on this rig, do I need to go with the QLS holster rig or will the ELS clips be sufficient? I run a 6004 with retention at most 3 gun matches because it seems I am always doing more with a holstered pistol than I have ever done during a USPSA match, and I like the security of never having to worry about dropping a pistol because I snagged it on something and pulled it out of a holster. I have also fallen during a match and had the 6004 be the only reason I didn't end up on my face because it caught on a railing, so I do "test" it upon occasion. OTOH, I am not LEO and will never be subject to a snatch attempt or any of the "real" purposes of retention holsters.

So, my above plan was predicated on adapting my holsters to the ELS along with the mag pouches, but if the ELS isn't up to the same level of bashing at the QLS, I would hate to find out by running past a post and ripping my whole holster off my belt because I am clumsy..

Edited by barrysuperhawk

I think Safariland builds the products to your order. Just after SHOT, I ordered 773s for 2 different types of mags, 2 holsters, shotshell caddies, and a 3 gun bag and it took a month to receive my order. Order early!

Seiichi

I just ordered my ELS stuff this week. Optics plannet had everything but the belts in stock, brownells has most sizes of belt in stock, if you ordered now I'd think you could have them by next weekend, plenty of time before CMMG.

Watch Optics Planet they don't know what they have in stock. Ordered an item that was "in stock". 6 days later received notice that item was not in stock but would be in 5-10 days. 30 days later called to cancel order and get my money back. Never again!!

I originally posted this to be funny, I mean, "Panic Buying" for belts? The unfortunate part is it is true. Optics Planet is also a no-go because they are in Illinois and want to charge me sales tax in addition to shipping as well as not having everything. Speedshooter doesen't carry the .308 pouches, Midway carries everything but half of it's on backorder... I indended this to be a simple go online, order stuff and move on with my day... but here I am, a day later and no closer to having a rig.

Edited by barrysuperhawk

It seemed silly to add another topic on what is essentially the same subject, so here's question #2:

I intend to run both Safariland and BladeTech holsters on this rig, do I need to go with the QLS holster rig or will the ELS clips be sufficient? I run a 6004 with retention at most 3 gun matches because it seems I am always doing more with a holstered pistol than I have ever done during a USPSA match, and I like the security of never having to worry about dropping a pistol because I snagged it on something and pulled it out of a holster. I have also fallen during a match and had the 6004 be the only reason I didn't end up on my face because it caught on a railing, so I do "test" it upon occasion. OTOH, I am not LEO and will never be subject to a snatch attempt or any of the "real" purposes of retention holsters.

So, my above plan was predicated on adapting my holsters to the ELS along with the mag pouches, but if the ELS isn't up to the same level of bashing at the QLS, I would hate to find out by running past a post and ripping my whole holster off my belt because I am clumsy..

I know they highly recommend the QLS for your holster. The QLS is about twice the size of the ELS brackets. I would also recommend it over the ELS brackets for your holster. With the QLS you will need an additional belt attachment that is $5, or you will have to drill extra holes in your belt.

Nate

Optics Planet is also a no-go because they are in Illinois and want to charge me sales tax in addition to shipping as well as not having everything.

Whats the difference? You have to claim out of state purchases at the end of the year anyway?

Optics Planet is also a no-go because they are in Illinois and want to charge me sales tax in addition to shipping as well as not having everything.

Whats the difference? You have to claim out of state purchases at the end of the year anyway?

The difference is they don't have everything... So, what, exactly did you add to this thread?

Back on topic, so the QLS should bolt up to the Holsters, but won't fit the belt correctly? Has anyone stress tested these to tell if the QLS is *that* much stronger?

My stuff showed up last night. Ordered from OP and Brownells on the 27th, and you are a little closer to both of them than I am. I think you are going to have to give up on trying to find it all instock right now from anyone other than holsters.com. I modified my Blade-tech DOH and ar15 pouches to work with the els. I don't think you need the QLS for your holster, it seems plenty strong to me. What I did was use the BT female parts with the Safariland screws. A little dab of green loctite on all of them and about 3 hours tweaking and adjusting later and it's almost done.

Get the QLS for your holster. Its rated for up to around 600lbs of force. The ELS clips are actually not for holsters, but for accessories & are rated at around 200lbs.

Ask me how I know!!!!

QLS with Blade-Tech DOH holsters match up with 2 holes just fine.

Tony

Thanks for noticing that we're now carrying the ELS parts BUT we're now out of all but two of the larger belts, and out of the attachment kits. At least my pushing us to carry it has been shown to be right. I don't get to win that often. One of the merchandise managers told me yesterday he's going to up the reorder so we won't run out as fast. We do show the ELS forks and QLS receivers and forks as in stock. You can easily replace a tec-loc with the ELS fork. I have a box of 8-32 screws, nuts and washers from the hardware store and have been able to adapt all my Rescomp pouches and assorted shotgun carriers to the ELS. Some took more work than others but it can be done. AP makes their 3x3 and 4x4 with ELS forks as an option. I went over the QLS stuff with Scott Carnahan at NRA, as previously stated, you will have to drill an extra hole in the 1-3/4" belt or get the 567BL-1,-2-150-175 Belt Slide and screw the QLS receiver to it. The 567 slides over the belt but doesn't cover very much velcro. I believe we have the 567 coming, sometime. My QLS came with a plastic strap which I assume is meant for hooking to Molle systems. I clamped the belt between the strap and the QLS receiver, kind of bulky so went back to the ELS. Until I do a "Tony Holmes" and rip mine off, I'm using an ELS for the holster - we'll see. I'm too old, fat and out of shape to play as hard as Tony so maybe I'll get away with it. I move like Tim Conway's old man character (from the old Carol Burnett show) when I shoot.

Watch Optics Planet they don't know what they have in stock. Ordered an item that was "in stock". 6 days later received notice that item was not in stock but would be in 5-10 days. 30 days later called to cancel order and get my money back. Never again!!

I have had similar experience from Optics Planet and can't recommend them for shooting gear. If you want a telescope or binoculars it might be a different story.

Thanks for noticing that we're now carrying the ELS parts BUT we're now out of all but two of the larger belts, and out of the attachment kits. At least my pushing us to carry it has been shown to be right. I don't get to win that often. One of the merchandise managers told me yesterday he's going to up the reorder so we won't run out as fast. We do show the ELS forks and QLS receivers and forks as in stock. You can easily replace a tec-loc with the ELS fork. I have a box of 8-32 screws, nuts and washers from the hardware store and have been able to adapt all my Rescomp pouches and assorted shotgun carriers to the ELS. Some took more work than others but it can be done. AP makes their 3x3 and 4x4 with ELS forks as an option. I went over the QLS stuff with Scott Carnahan at NRA, as previously stated, you will have to drill an extra hole in the 1-3/4" belt or get the 567BL-1,-2-150-175 Belt Slide and screw the QLS receiver to it. The 567 slides over the belt but doesn't cover very much velcro. I believe we have the 567 coming, sometime. My QLS came with a plastic strap which I assume is meant for hooking to Molle systems. I clamped the belt between the strap and the QLS receiver, kind of bulky so went back to the ELS. Until I do a "Tony Holmes" and rip mine off, I'm using an ELS for the holster - we'll see. I'm too old, fat and out of shape to play as hard as Tony so maybe I'll get away with it. I move like Tim Conway's old man character (from the old Carol Burnett show) when I shoot.

Larry, I don't spend enough time here to know whom you represent, but if you do have everything in stock, please either post up or Email me and let me know where I am looking....

Larry, I don't spend enough time here to know whom you represent, but if you do have everything in stock, please either post up or Email me and let me know where I am looking....

Brownells

Thanks Kampr, I didn't get back for a couple of days. And Barry, we don't have a lot in stock right now, it sold out quickly, more is on order but I don't know how long it will take. We have the forks only and some of the QLS receivers and forks. + 40 and 42". Type in ELS and QLS and they will show up, www.brownells.com

I am another one that had a bad experiance with optics planet. I placed an order and was sent the wrong stuff had the lady order the right stuff and was told its on ack order till may 20th. I called back later and talked to another person and I was told my reoder wasn't shown. I asked to talk to a manager and was told that he just went to lunch and I could leave a message and he would call me back. That was at 3:30 yesterday no call back. I did call them back later that night and was told that a manager would call me within 24 hours. Ha

Schultz