Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting in 100+ degree heat

Browning40

Summer's coming and it was triple digits in Phoenix last weekend.

Any hot weather shooters out thers with experience using cooling vests? Phase change vests, not evaporative vests.

They're not cheap ($150 - $250)

I'm looking to get testimonials and average length of cooling charge in Phoenix in 100 degree heat.

Thanks in advance guys!

I've been using a Chilly Vest for years. It really helps in the Phoenix HEAT. There are packetts that you put in the freezer over night to get it ready and it lasts at least 4 - 5 hours.

You can buy replacement packs from Chilly Vest but I've found it cheaper to buy Blue Ice rechargable packs from the grocery store. When you vest is no longer working take your space Blue Ice from your ice chest and you are good for the rest of the day.

I tried to look up Chilly Vest and got a lot of canine products. Is there a link for this for humans? 0_o

When it gets hot in the Carolinas, I put ice on my chest to try to cool my core. A vest would be great so I don't get all wet anymore.

Lee B

Never played with the vest, but we usem the Frog Togs all the time at work. They dry out after about an hour, but if you soak them in ice water they work great. I don't know how it would work in places that wet stuff actually falls out of sky more than 3-5 times a year though.

This is like asking

"how can I stay cool while standing in a blast furnace?" :roflol:

When the wind kicks up in Vegas that's what it sure feels like. About the only thing that has helped me over the last 17 summers spent working outside is evaporate cooling tricks. Maybe the vest that does that would be worth a try.

Best Tip Ever: research what it really takes to properly hydrate yourself. It's not something you can do in one day. Gatorade is the WORST thing you can drink. Water and the right food can help you push through the heat and keep your mind straight.

You'd be surprised how hard it can be to problem solve after a day that started at 5am in the high 90's.

That vest has the squishy stuff in packs that you put inside it?? I've never heard of phase change but the packs I tried at work sound similar. It's like a dry flaky stuff sewn into a scarf like thing. You soaked in ice water and it balloons up with the icy water in it. If it's the same stuff, it worked great, at first. But in REALLY hot weather, like Arizona or Vegas, they definitely didn't last 2 hours. After about a half hour it was like wearing a warm hotdog around your neck.

Well that's as good as I can describe it without getting vulgar. Let's just say that we had many names for them, usually associated with a certain male body part. :roflol: needless to say they mostly ended up in the trash after the first use... YMMV

After lots of research, this is the brand I purchased.

http://www.texascoolvest.com/

I'm one of the old farts here on the forum. Just had my 60th birthday. For the past few years I was just not able to tolerate the heat like I could in my younger days. To continue shooting (and other outdoor activities), I needed to do something.

I bought this vest last year just before the Double Tap Challenge match in Wichita Falls, Texas. I also used it at Area 4 (also Wichita Falls) in September.

In my case, it was money well spent. I don't remember just how hot it got during those matches (probably over 100) but that may be due to staying somewhat cool using the vest.

The Texas Cool Vest gel packages are designed to maintain a constant 65 degrees. First benefit of this is they will not burn you like the vests that use the much cooler gel packs. Second benefit is these will recharge in cold water in less than 1/2 hour.

At the match, I would wait until things warmed up. Around 9 am to 10 am I would pull the gel packs from my cooler and used them until lunch break. Then recharge them while I had a little lunch and put them back on around 1 PM.

On really hot days, they will stop working in just a few hours, but I'd just stick them back in the cooler for a while and start all over. Initially I thought I might need a second set of gel packs, but the recharge time is quick enough that one set works for me.

The only problem thus far? Snide comments from other shooters wondering why I'm wearing body armor. :ph34r:

Since these do not require evaporation to cool (some other systems do) these work well in high humidity locations (my home area is Houston) and the exterior of the vest stays dry so keeps it a little cleaner.

The gel packs are the expensive part of the system. I bought a second vest without the gel packs for yard work and such and use the one set of packs as needed.

I like mine and will continue to use it.

Bill

I remember shooting Double tap last year, and it was like 110, there were people that were on the verge of passing out. I think one woman got pretty sick. I think the only thing that saved my life, was to have a cold wet towel on my head. I wore that thing like a hat. it worked great, but it was still miserable. but I tell you every time you dip that cold wet towel and put it on your head, it is so refreshing. I have found that is the best and cheapest thing to do in hot weather.