Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I want to make my Wilson SS a L10 hot rod

KentG

I started shooting L10 this year with my IDPA gun, a Wilson stainless protector with the mainspring housing magwell combo, thin grips and XS big dot sights. I have and am having a blast.

However I have this itch. I was thinking of going Limited and may down the road, but for now I have good time and prefer shooting SS 1911's. I also think its pretty obvious you can shoot what you want but the intent of the L10 class was aimed at the SS gun.

That leads me to the other Wilson all grey protector I have in my nightstand doing nothing and feeling unloved.

Lets say you want to take a stock ss and do it up to the max what would you do?

I was thinking a bucket sized magwell if I can find one and fibre optic sights to start. What is the legal limits on ss L10 as far as magwells?

I might consider just selling the Wilson and buying a new SS L10 from (suggestions please) a smith/mfg who makes something close to what I describe. I also want to stay with the 45ACP, I love those big holes.

With an existing SS gun and under the umbrella of 'taking it to the max', I'd do the following:

- Have the frame and slide trued and if necessary Accu-railed

- Check the barrel fit or fit a new bull barrel

- If the gun doesn't have a full length guide rod, put in a stainless one or Sprinco.

- Bo-mars and a Brazos Micro-Dot for sights

- Trigger job

- Overall internal inspection/reliability package done

- S & A magwell

- Frame recountoured a smidge for a higer grip

- Slide work done (ejection port, e.g.)

- Aftec Extractor

- Chrome the gun

That about covers it. I'm sure I'm missing something. An 'easier' alternative may be to sell the existing gun and buy a STI Eagle. Just a thought. Nice big hole to stick 10 round mags too.

Rich

First, let me correct a wrong assumption. L10 was NOT "intended" or "aimed" at being a SS division. Sorry, it's nothing personal but being one of the unfortunate shooters whom live in a 10 round only State, there are more guns available to us that are shipped with 10 rounds mags other than 1911 Single Stacks. ;)

Secondly, The gun you have (except your choice of sights ) is suitable for L10 Division. My suggestion (same as Rich) is to seriously look at a wide body frame gun ESPECIALLY if you want to eventually move to Limited Division.

An STI or SV in 40 caliber is the next logical move. If budget is a concern...look at a Para P16-40 Limited model.

Spend the money once...build/buy the "best tool for the job" and have fun afterwards. ;)

If you're going to spend all of the money to get one gun done to the max, get a quote to have the entire project done. Then, check the price against an Edge. I had a project gun, and got sick of the project and the expense.

Just .02

There are quite a few big-name gunsmiths who who build a full-house 1911 on whatever frame you give them for close to the same price than a factory STI or SV/Infinity. Only thing is, you might have a bit of a wait.

In the USPSA Limited 10 Divison, you can do whatever you want to the gun, except put a compensator or optical sight on it. In order of importance, I would address the following if I had an existing 1911: 1) reliability, 2) sights, 3) trigger job, 4) barrel & slide/frame fit, 5) go fast bits (magwell, grips, guide rods, etc.)

Kent ... aside from the "get a wide body gun ... " answers ...

I would do the following:

S-V mag well

heavy guide rod of some variety

better trigger job than what you have now

wide Ed Brown ambi thumb safeties, contoured to fit your thumbs

fiber optic front sight (like the Brazos microdot or equivalent)

Bo-Mar rear sight

have the frame relieved more under the trigger guard

have the slide lightened

Given that it's already a high-end boutique gun, the barrel should be a good one and should already be fit properly. If that's not the case, get a new barrel and bushing fitted

I need to clarify I guess. The Wilson as is shoots the lights out. The trigger is good and slide fit is as good as any gun I have ever held. What I specificly want is to find as big a magwell as is available for the SS and a fibre optic front site and a suitable rear site as well. The gun has the Armortuff finish on it and its a beautifull gun. I would like to get the work done and maybe have Wilson refinish the whole thing again so the magwell matches.

Maybe a tungston GR to replace the current full length as well.

I forgot about you poor souls in the land of no Hicaps.

Kent ... aside from the "get a wide body gun ... " answers ...

I would do the following:

S-V mag well

heavy guide rod of some variety

better trigger job than what you have now

wide Ed Brown ambi thumb safeties, contoured to fit your thumbs

fiber optic front sight (like the Brazos microdot or equivalent)

Bo-Mar rear sight

have the frame relieved more under the trigger guard

have the slide lightened

Given that it's already a high-end boutique gun, the barrel should be a good one and should already be fit properly. If that's not the case, get a new barrel and bushing fitted

Do you have any suggestions on someone who could do this for me and help me figure out what to use??

Buy a CR Speed holster, a good belt, 5 good mag pouches and $1,000.00 worth of ammo then go shoot.

Dude!! Buy 45 ammo!?! :D No way! I still have a couple thou loaded. Im planning on buying the CR speed holster, belt and some SS mag holders in the near future but Im going to finish out the summer using my IDPA rig. I want to buy the CRSpeed rig and take some time to get used to it in practice before I try it in a match. I have a fear(probably unjustified) that the first time I use that type holster in a match Ill screw up and drop the weapon. I dont need a DQ or the embarassment. :wacko:

:D OK - A thousand dollars worth of reloading components...It takes about 5 minutes to fall in love with a good holster. And the CR IS a good one. They are a hell of a lot more secure that they appear at first blush. I you are keeping the SS do the search on magwells and see what the Forum says. I believe this will give you the skinny on the magwell issue. :D That is just the threads for SS only magwell posts.

Kent,

Neil Keller at Kustom Ballistics can do the front sight and magwell no-problemo, as far as the work is concerened.

As far as which FO front sight to use? Many folks have used and like the Dawson FO. I've also heard people rave about Bob Brazos' sight. I personally use a SV, since it is what came on the gun, and like it very, very much.

Someone also mentioned SV's and Pinnacle's magwells. They are about as bit as you'll find for a SS gun. Although, I think you'd be just gravy with a SA or similar magwell that was flared and blended (I know there is a local guy that can do that for you, ask Rhino).

After that, shoot with the rig you've got and dry-fire till you pass out. ;)

DP

FWIW, the Smith and Alexander magwells are not "huge", but are a no-brainer drop-in part - and are very reasonably priced considering the no-gunsmithing aspect.

I would also strongly consider the SV EDM'd S-7 hammer/sear combo if you plan on doing trigger work.

That SVI magwell is exactly what Im talking about. Dave your link didnt work for me. If Joe can recomend someone to to fill the list of suggestions he had which were right on with what I want I would be tickled shitless.

Here is my L10 Caspian with the SV magwell:

caspian2.jpg

caspian3.jpg

I love the big opening but I get beat every weekend by guys with S&As, Ed Browns, Wilsons, or nothing at all. Just pick one and your practice will make the real difference. I just started using the Pact timer Par function, and it has made more of an impact on my reloads in a few days than the huge magwell did in monthes.

Also, my SV magwell has started to rock back and forth, which makes the blending I did less effective. I'm experimenting with building up the covered portion of the grip panels with epoxy to make it fit tight. Its hard to get on and off too. I don't know if the extra size is worth the money, loose fit, and hassle to get it on and off. EricW is correct. I'm learning the value of no brainers.

There is a great pic of a blended ss S&A magwell from an AH article on a Ross Carter 6in Caspian (it was on the cover and had carbon fiber grips).

Good luck,

Steve

Here is my L10 Caspian with the SV magwell:

caspian2.jpg

caspian3.jpg

I love the big opening but I get beat every weekend by guys with S&As, Ed Browns, Wilsons, or nothing at all. Just pick one and your practice will make the real difference. I just started using the Pact timer Par function, and it has made more of an impact on my reloads in a few days than the huge magwell did in monthes.

Also, my SV magwell has started to rock back and forth, which makes the blending I did less effective. I'm experimenting with building up the covered portion of the grip panels with epoxy to make it fit tight. Its hard to get on and off too. I don't know if the extra size is worth the money, loose fit, and hassle to get it on and off. EricW is correct. I'm learning the value of no brainers.

There is a great pic of a blended ss S&A magwell from an AH article on a Ross Carter 6in Caspian (it was on the cover and had carbon fiber grips).

Good luck,

Steve

Nice shooter, its on the track of what I want to do. I just think with the gun I have I have a good foundation to start with unless someone builds one already that fits the bill.

Kent ... I second BigDave's recommendation of Neil Keller. In case you didn't know, he's located in Decatur, Indiana, so you won't have to worry about shipping your gun back and forth.

He can do pretty much anything you want and has built many, many guns for all divisions of USPSA shooting.

If you just want the magwell blended, talk to Mike Parks in Brookston. He'll do a great job very quickly and for a very reasonable price. He could also change the sights for you too.

I will see guys in a couple and we can go over it if you have time. Im looking at a over the winter time frame.

I already emailed Mike about blending my stainless IDPA blaster and am trying to get him to come shoot some of the dark side with us. Maybe I should think that Im trying to get him to leave the dark side and come to the light?? Maybe just enjoy the best of both worlds!

God, just think, if I take one of Bills guns the IDPA birthmother and make it a USPSA L10 gamer kind of, would it be an un-holy thing??

Well, the thing to remember is that IPSC and later USPSA is where Bill Developed his shooting and gunsmithing skills. He used to build what were state of the are race guns in the days before he and the others created IDPA. If not for IPSC, Bill would not have the career that he enjoys today.

So I don't think there is a problem in spirit, even if his shop won't do that kind of work anymore.

magwell.jpg

1911.jpg

from pinnacle

i think the svi looks cooler. the pinnacle is only 50 bucks though! The only problem i see with the current big mouth magwells for SS guns is the durability and the fitment.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but I haven't seen a single magwell on this thread

that's superior in fit, function, strength, or ease of installation as the S&A.

What's the point of having a gigantic magwell - if there's huge ledges for the mag to catch on?

I must be totally missing the point of a magwell.

Does it look like I had to fit anything? It took me longer to unwrap the silly thing

than it did to install it.

SA_Magwell.jpg

(Sorry for the obnoxious tone.)

Does it look like I had to fit anything? It took me longer to unwrap the silly thing than it did to install it.

It's tough to tell from the photo, but it looks like you could open it up some more and match the contour of the frames' magwell bevel. A fitted S&A is a lot nicer IMO than an S&A that you just install and forget.