Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TWO PROBLEMS.

perrysho

Trying to get set-up for 3 - Gun.

1 - Purchased a FN SLP MK l, it just don't like low base ammo. It will feed but don't want to eject emptys after fireing. Have the right gas piston installed, cleaned and lubed properly. E-Net folks tell me to shoot 700-800 rounds or change the springs. I am 76 yr senior don't wanna wait. One would think a high dollar shotgun would work/run outta the box.

2 Was P/off bought a Mossberg 930, didn't like the barrel ordered a 24" Turkey non-ported ribbed with sights, and Nordic stuff to trick out. It will shot any thing I have loaded in the gun. Problem it shots slugs about 6" to 8" high at 25 Yds, Can not get the rear sight any lower and/or the front any higher. Where do I get proper sights to install on a ribbed turkey barrel that are not mickey mouse quality????

Now I have two high dollar shotguns and nothing I trust to shot in a local match Saturday.

Now AIN'T That A BITCH, but Turkeys will be safer LOL!

Perry

Kevin G, wow that is something i never thought of.

what i did to lower the POI on my M2. let me back up i always use the long fiber optic that uses the sticky tape to install so i bought some good quality thick 2 side tape and cut it to the same size as the fiber optic and be damn POI is perfect now and no longer shoots high.

Kevin G, wow that is something i never thought of.

what i did to lower the POI on my M2. let me back up i always use the long fiber optic that uses the sticky tape to install so i bought some good quality thick 2 side tape and cut it to the same size as the fiber optic and be damn POI is perfect now and no longer shoots high.

Where were you two on the whole shotgun sight thread?!?!?! We got guys beating barells on a 2X4 over there... :roflol:

Great idea on both, moving it and the sticky tape. How often are you replacing said tape and what kind?

i saw that, using a 2 x4 or telephone pole to adjust the POI, not real sure how much of that is true. i have no doubt that someone has done it, but no thanks.

on the tape i have not replaced it yet. it has been on there now for about 5 months but it has not had a big match on it yet just local. i came up as soon as i decide i was going to the rockcastle shotgun match, and wasting lots of money over the years trying to fine something that i would like. it is 3M tape about 1/8" thick. can not remember for sure were i got it but i am thinking it was Lowes. it has been great with no signs of even trying to come loose. but you can be damn sure at rockcastle i will have a spare ready.

A friend of mine, was shooting an old, POS, Winchester pump, for heavy metal, and it was throwing slugs 2-3 FEET high at 100 yards. He took it to a local gunshop, and they bent the barrel so it shoots pretty close to POA now. :surprise:

6-8" high at 25 yards wouldn't bother me too much, depending on what it keeps doing, out to 150 yards.

My SLP had issues to feed and eject the cheap low brass Federal and Remington for about 300 rounds, now it eats everything, have not cleaned it in 6 months. When I was going through the initial choke every 25 to 30 rounds I shot the AA Winchester with no problems. The other thing that made me real happy was that it shot both the Winchester and Remington low recoil slugs to POA off hand at 50 yards right out of the box.

What doesn't make me happy is getting my finger stuck in the lifter, it hurts. I need to get that welded up. The SLP definitely has some sharp edges that need worked over.

I'm struggling with this too. I have found that if you keep your thumb bent and in line with the axis of the barrel, it decreases the number of times it gets stuck.

CURRENT EVENTS !

Problem 1 - Called FM ( Talked to a Mike person in their service dept. ) who told me to shot high base/high vel ammo and thats what he did. To me that was not a good answer, cause don't ye see getting old is not user friendly and I don't like having a bruised sholder and a sore thumb at the same time. Welding and re-shapeing the lifter/shell elevator I can handle. But still need info how to make the dammnnn thing shot low base ammo, I'm sure some of the gunsmiths know.

Problem 2 - Solved, Found a Knight front Fiber Optic, mounted with a custom screw in the bead threaded rib. Worked perfect raised the front .120 higher and POI is now good.

Old F O sight, custom made screw, 1 quart of GOOP glue did the trick. LOL

Thanks for any info to fix the FN.

Perry

Perry,

What is the brand, velocity (DE) and shot load (ounces) of the “low brass” shell that will not function.

If I was starting out to troubleshoot the gun I would try either Remington Nitro or Winchester AA shells that are rated at 1200 fps (3 DE) with 1 1/8 oz of shot.

Outsydlookin,

When I get P/oed a lil more, may take your offer, keep a crisp Ben Franklin handy. LOL

Oh ! Do you do proper disposal work too ?????

On the flip side I like the shotgun, it shoots slugs 2" high a 50 yds and 1330 vel ammo works.

I will keep playing with ammo until we work it out.

Was in hopes I would run into some shotgun GURUS here.

Have FUN be SAFE,

Perry

Outsydlookin,

When I get P/oed a lil more, may take your offer, keep a crisp Ben Franklin handy. LOL

Oh ! Do you do proper disposal work too ?????

On the flip side I like the shotgun, it shoots slugs 2" high a 50 yds and 1330 vel ammo works.

I will keep playing with ammo until we work it out.

Was in hopes I would run into some shotgun GURUS here.

Have FUN be SAFE,

Perry

Try the forums at shotgunworld.com

No offence to the gurus here but there are some Gurus there.

Trying to get set-up for 3 - Gun.

1 - Purchased a FN SLP MK l, it just don't like low base ammo. It will feed but don't want to eject emptys after fireing. Have the right gas piston installed, cleaned and lubed properly. E-Net folks tell me to shoot 700-800 rounds or change the springs. I am 76 yr senior don't wanna wait. One would think a high dollar shotgun would work/run outta the box.

2 Was P/off bought a Mossberg 930, didn't like the barrel ordered a 24" Turkey non-ported ribbed with sights, and Nordic stuff to trick out. It will shot any thing I have loaded in the gun. Problem it shots slugs about 6" to 8" high at 25 Yds, Can not get the rear sight any lower and/or the front any higher. Where do I get proper sights to install on a ribbed turkey barrel that are not mickey mouse quality????

Now I have two high dollar shotguns and nothing I trust to shot in a local match Saturday.

Now AIN'T That A BITCH, but Turkeys will be safer LOL!

Perry

1 Are you using steel base junk ammo? Don't. Saw a 930 JM this weekend wouldn't cycle steel base Winchester ammo. Also saw a totally brand new SLP running AA lo brass reloads that lookd like they had been through a fire then steppd on a bunch of times.

2 I had to make a new higher front sight for my 930 w 24" turkey barrel. Just a pc of delrin with a channel milled on bottom then drilled for a screw hold down and for the FOptic then taperd on top and slotted for light. Rear sight was changed to a hiviz "adjustable".

Maybe I should start selling 930 front sights :D

Are you using a mag ext and barrel clamp? The clamp and change your POI if the centerlines are not spaced right.

I would guess that's not the prob though since I know of other unmodified 930s with the same prob.

Nick

ASSAULTER,

So far I've tried Remington, Fiocchi ( low & high base) Ferderal field & range 3 dram equiv, one box of Winchester AA. All brass base shells. Remington slugs, Fiocchi ( yellow & Black box slugs) Federal OO.

I took 3 cases of ammo back to the dealer and traded/paid difference and got all 1330 Vel or better ammo.

Will run most of this and see what happens.

Thank you kindly all that posted replies,

Be SAFE,

Perry